The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

16 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

I have a feeling a defenceman is gonna go top 2. Just a gut feeling.

If a D DOES go top 2 it REALLY screws things up

Hischier and Patrick are supposed to be the 1-2

if it goes either and a D, it leaves Dallas picking one of them or a D, Colorado has the same option.

This leaves Vancouver with an almost sure shot at Vilardi/Glass/pick of the D or in the event of a truly wtf moment one of Patrick or hischier

Possibly the only exciting moment of the draft not at the #5 slot

2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Interesting.  It would almost HAVE to be Seabrook.  But that would also mean more coming to Arizona as well.  This would actually be good for vancouver.

It would leave Chicago even more depleted, leaving them good enough to be a playoff team but not good enough to contend and immediately make Arizona a better than bottom 5 finisher leaving vancouver and Colorado to duke it out in the west for worst overall!

But....with Hossa miraculously off the books they're not in the same cap trouble they were 5 days ago so the onus isn't entirely pressing to find that cap space.

I think a lot of it will play in to who is off the board between 1 and 6

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Trade happened but did not include any draft pics

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

Well then damn.  Certainly helps Arizona in the immediate future.  Yay Arizona won't suck as bad as Vancouver this year!!!  

But...the Yotes STILL need an RHD.  Hmmmm

41 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Looking like Glass! The guy comes out and says he wants to be on the West Coast and loves Vancouver.

Honeslty I will be happy with Vilardi, Pettersson or even Makar

But I want Glass most... can just imagine him in a nux jersey.

Horvat + Glass just would be so sweet...

2017-18

Sedin

Horvat

Sutter

2018-19

Horvat

Sedin

Sutter

2019-2020

Horvat

Sedin

Gaudette

Glass

2020-2021

Horvat

Glass

Gaudette

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So...we're drafting Cal Foote?

Foote has the body but not the NHL skillset as of yet.  It's a combination.

Makar will not struggle.  Your incredible unwillingness to accept he's a minimum of 3-5 years from even sniffing the NHL as per his own admittance that he wants to stay in college for 2 or 3 years is crazy

I guarantee he will struggle in his first year in NCAA.  to the point where people will question his ability.  It will be up to him to see if he can bounce back.

2-3 years in college 1-2 years in the AHL

A 4-5 year development timeline where he'll be playing against men.  Grown men.  At solid levels of competition.  The guy has skating vision and speed that is NHL grade.  The rest are things easily built off of.

A lot can happen in 5 years.  Hence why there's so much risk around him.

I stand by it, do not be shocked if Makar is taken top 5.  I've said that for months now, much like I was on the Honka train a few years back and some projected him outside the 1st round.  Those skills translate

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Foote has the body but not the NHL skillset as of yet.  It's a combination.

I guarantee he will struggle in his first year in NCAA.  to the point where people will question his ability.  It will be up to him to see if he can bounce back.

A lot can happen in 5 years.  Hence why there's so much risk around him.

Negative

Negative

Negative

Oh wait and see

You must be fun at parties :P

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

We could have one of Makar, Glass, Pettersson or Vilardi!! If we don't get one of them I will be so disappointed.

Yes, in Benning's interviews over the past 3 days he has consistently said that he likes "3 or 4 guys" at #5 and, at various times, he has said that he likes Vilardi, Glass, Makar, and Pettersson. And I have never seen Benning use misdirection so I think we can be pretty confident that those are his guys at #5. I am not sure of the ordering but my best guess is the ordering I just gave. I think the Canucks will only move down if maybe 3 of those guys are still available at #5 so they can be confident of getting one. And I think that is unlikely.

I was relieved to hear this. Not that I pretend to have any great insight into which prospect is best, but usually the best thing to do in the first round is to "follow the board". And, although the board is less clear than usual this year, a late near-consensus has emerged and I think that Benning is pretty close to it. 

His interview posted on CDC is pretty good. I only cringed once -- when he said if they traded Tanev that would have to get a D-man back. That makes no sense. The point of trading Tanev would be to get a high draft pick -- building for the future, not to fill a gap this year. And if they did trade Tanev they would have a lot of cap room -- plenty of room to pick up a decent UFA if he insists on trying to be competitive this year. It is pretty clear he just does not want to trade Tanev. Period.

• Upvote 2

Really nervous for this draft so many uncertainties unlike I can ever recall.

Will NJ take Nico/Patrick/ or Makar.. 

Will Philly trade to LGK to take Patrick/Nico

Will Dallas trade their pick or stand pat, who do they take Dman or a forward.. Do they like Vilardi/Glass/Mittlestadt..

Will the Aves take a dman (Does this depend on trading Barrie/Duchene?) Do they like Vilardi/Glass/Mittlestadt..

Us we have a pretty strong idea that it will be: Glass/Makar/Pettersson/Vilardi --> Will be shocked if its anyone outside of these 4 unless Patrick or Hischier fell to us against all odds.

Edited by R3aL

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Honeslty I will be happy with Vilardi, Pettersson or even Makar

But I want Glass most... can just imagine him in a nux jersey.

Horvat + Glass just would be so sweet...

2017-18

Sedin

Horvat

Sutter

2018-19

Horvat

Sedin

Sutter

2019-2020

Horvat

Sedin

Gaudette

Glass

2020-2021

Horvat

Glass

Gaudette

The twins are done here after this season!