The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

The twins are done here after this season!

I feel they are not.

There is room for them on the team in depth roles after this season and that will be reviewed year to year. And part of it rides on how quickly Gaudette and the C we draft today develops.

They will renew on cheap annual contracts - they wont cripple our team financially or take spots away from anyone and they say they feel great physically.

That is how envision our C development and timeline. Retiring in 2020. If Iginla and Doan can play to 39/40+ I don't see why the Sedins cant play till 37/38.. while mentoring our young professionals on not only how to be leaders, but to be every day professionals and better people.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I feel they are not.

There is room for them on the team in depth roles after this season and that will be reviewed year to year. And part of it rides on how quickly Gaudette and the C we draft today develops.

They will renew on cheap annual contracts - they wont cripple our team financially or take spots away from anyone and they say they feel great physically.

That is how envision our C development and timeline. Retiring in 2020. If Iginla and Doan can play to 39/40+ I don't see why the Sedins cant play till 37/38.. while mentoring our young professionals on not only how to be leaders, but to be every day professionals and better people.

with all the young guys we have even this season one or two are going to be hurt not making the big team and that could make them want to be traded not making the team as the twins showed the last two years they are not the same players and should be third line , why  not give the younger players the play time they need instead of hanging on to the twins so they get 30 points???  I think they have one more season in them but at some point we must move on and that is next year

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Really nervous for this draft so many uncertainties unlike I can ever recall.

Will NJ take Nico/Patrick/ or Makar.. 

Will Philly trade to LGK to take Patrick/Nico

Will Dallas trade their pick or stand pat, who do they take Dman or a forward.. Do they like Vilardi/Glass/Mittlestadt..

Will the Aves take a dman (Does this depend on trading Barrie/Duchene?) Do they like Vilardi/Glass/Mittlestadt..

Us we have a pretty strong idea that it will be: Glass/Makar/Pettersson/Vilardi --> Will be shocked if its anyone outside of these 4 unless Patrick or Hischier fell to us against all odds.

Take the following with a grain of salt. Here's what I've heard from the other teams' forums and from some articles and a bit of speculation on my part on the Las Vegas side:

1. NJ - between Nico and Nolan, they slightly prefer Nico, but some rumours about a Makar interest so they may trade down
  2. Philly - would be happy to take either Nico or Patrick
  3. Dallas - ok to draft either Heiskanen or Makar and hoping to trade down and get more assets but afraid to risk that both may be gone
  4. Colorado - targeting a 17 year old (Vilardi or Heiskanen?)
  5. Vancouver - Glass is probably the target at this spot but if trade down, then Pettersson; Makar and Vilardi may be wild cards
  6. Las Vegas - want to make a splash and move up to either 1 or 2 by packaging one of their other 1st round picks but probably only way is if NJ really wants Makar and NJ thinks Makar is still available at 6

24 minutes ago, Qwags said:

What's the scouting report on Makar?

Completely not important according to some.  he plays in the AJHL so it's a lesser league so his scouting report is useless because he won't be able to translate that to the NHL because because because opinion

Possibly one of the best skaters in the draft, arguably best skating D in the draft.  Superb vision, amazing passer, solid IQ top end speed, great east west as well as north south game.  Questions about his defensive game much like almost all D in the draft.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Completely not important according to some.  he plays in the AJHL so it's a lesser league so his scouting report is useless because he won't be able to translate that to the NHL because because because opinion

Possibly one of the best skaters in the draft, arguably best skating D in the draft.  Superb vision, amazing passer, solid IQ top end speed, great east west as well as north south game.  Questions about his defensive game much like almost all D in the draft.

Thx. One of the few things I've read about him is that he has the highest bust chance, but also the highest ceiling of the draft. Sounds like he's worth the chance.

Edited by Qwags

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

with all the young guys we have even this season one or two are going to be hurt not making the big team and that could make them want to be traded not making the team as the twins showed the last two years they are not the same players and should be third line , why  not give the younger players the play time they need instead of hanging on to the twins so they get 30 points???  I think they have one more season in them but at some point we must move on and that is next year

Show me a depth chart of who they take spots from in a negative way to building our team?

Who will provide leadership to our young players?

Mats Sundin played half a season with us at what 38, put up like 30 pts and had a big impact on our team - especially on Ryan Kesler.

Young players need accomplished vets to learn from. Lose the Sedins before getting that period of mentorship and we will only have Louis Eriksson as a top 6 vet mentor.

I view team building differently from you, and I see the Sedin's being on our team for 2 more season for sure and possibly a third to retire in 2020 depending on how the young guys develop and if any players are added that we don't have today.

4 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Everything is happening!!! This is shaping up to be a fun day.

Holy big trade..Zona making moves to be competitive next year.

Am I missing something for Rangers? their C depth has been shot now with Lindberg and Stepan?

Pick #7 gonna be C now for sure

Edited by R3aL

Well like they have said if they can't play here they will retire and I think after this year if they looked like last year we will not resign them

They are leaders yes but that is not the only thing mats brought to the table

Face it they have to retire sometime but our views like you said are different and I will agree that is ok for us both, but I think one year and done

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Well like they have said if they can't play here they will retire and I think after this year if they looked like last year we will not resign them

They are leaders yes but that is not the only thing mats brought to the table

Face it they have to retire sometime but our views like you said are different and I will agree that is ok for us both, but I think one year and done

The reason they didn't look great last year is because at this stage of their career they should have been second line. Simple as that. Linden addressed it himself saying it wasn't fair for them.

After this year Horvat should take the first line duty from them and the transition begins to secondary scoring, then mentorship. 

Edit - Fair enough - and we shall see! 

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Take the following with a grain of salt. Here's what I've heard from the other teams' forums and from some articles and a bit of speculation on my part on the Las Vegas side:

1. NJ - between Nico and Nolan, they slightly prefer Nico, but some rumours about a Makar interest so they may trade down
  2. Philly - would be happy to take either Nico or Patrick
  3. Dallas - ok to draft either Heiskanen or Makar and hoping to trade down and get more assets but afraid to risk that both may be gone
  4. Colorado - targeting a 17 year old (Vilardi or Heiskanen?)
  5. Vancouver - Glass is probably the target at this spot but if trade down, then Pettersson; Makar and Vilardi may be wild cards
  6. Las Vegas - want to make a splash and move up to either 1 or 2 by packaging one of their other 1st round picks but probably only way is if NJ really wants Makar and NJ thinks Makar is still available at 6

Well even with that speculative info which may or may not be accurate it is very open.

So many different ways this draft board can go - super excited/nervous

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The reason they didn't look great last year is because at this stage of their career they should have been second line. Simple as that. Linden addressed it himself saying it wasn't fair for them.

After this year Horvat should take the first line duty from them and the transition begins to secondary scoring, then mentorship. 

Edit - Fair enough - and we shall see! 

Good points R3, without the necessary supports in place within the top 9 the Sedin's production will continue to deteriorate at an exponential pace.  If JB can acquire some legitimate scoring in the top 6 this would alleviate the pressure on the twins and allow them to face much more favorable competition on a shift-by-shift basis thereby extending their productivity for a year or two IMO.   Right now, every team just plays either their top offensive line and/or their top checking line against the twins - this will essentially cancel them out on a nightly basis.  If the twins were facing the oppositions third line (because other teams would be forced to play their top offensive line/checking line vs. our top 2 lines) we'd likely see very good production out of the twins for a while. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Would JB do the fifth overall for Sam Reinhart?  

Dont think that will happen.

Whether he would do it or not sure.. Remember he was high on him at the time of the draft and he's a local westcoast kid. But his style of play doesn't seem to fit the team he wants to build now so I would say that isn't on his or Buffalos Radar as it wouldn't help them win this upcoming season.