The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, stawns said:

Hard not to be pissed at Try now, though.  He three a huge monkey wrench into things.......really screwed JB..

You're telling me. I have him (and Nichushkin!) in my fantasy league! :angry:

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some fans: we want Vilardi!

Some fans: we want Glass!

Some fans: we want Makar!

Benning: the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select from Green Bay of the USHL, Casey Mittelstadt

lol

YUK!!!!!  that's the one guy I DON'T WANT!!!!!

1 minute ago, Jiggs50 said:

Why no love for Heiskanen? I keep hearing Makar. He is such an unknown and atleast 3 years away. His potential isn't even higher than Miro! 

My preference is

1. Heiskanen 

2. Glass

3. Trade down

I would be alright with Heiskanen but I think Makar has a better slapshot and wrister and is probably faster and uses his edges like no other skater in this draft...his defending may be more of an unknown given who he was defending....

3 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Why no love for Heiskanen? I keep hearing Makar. He is such an unknown and atleast 3 years away. His potential isn't even higher than Miro! 

My preference is

1. Heiskanen 

2. Glass

3. Trade down

Canucks didn't even interview him. Must be something we don't like...

4 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

My preference is

1. Heiskanen 

2. Glass

3. Trade down

I think people aren't looking at heiskenen as much because he's a lefty an won't be the guy who runs the pp 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

YUK!!!!!  that's the one guy I DON'T WANT!!!!!

Yeah, I'm super hesitant about him, reminds me a little of McCann, that entitled attitude, and maybe not being too thrilled if drafted by Vancouver. I'd love to get Vilardi. He's a big centre, creates space, can play physical, scores goals, is a playmaker, plays a 200-foot game. Horvat and Vilardi would be a good one-two punch. I actually don't know much about Heiskanen, other than he's similar to Juolevi. I only watched a little video and it didn't blow me away. Just looks like a steady defensive D. I'd rather have a C.

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I would be alright with Heiskanen but I think Makar has a better slapshot and wrister and is probably faster and uses his edges like no other skater in this draft...his defending may be more of an unknown given who he was defending....

We aren't in a position to gamble on a guy like Makar. Heiskanen is solid imo. I guess we'll see

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Thx. One of the few things I've read about him is that he has the highest bust chance, but also the highest ceiling of the draft. Sounds like he's worth the chance.

Honestly

And I've stated this being my opinion only.

I've been a Vees seasont icket holder forever, I watch the rockets maybe 20-30 games a year.  I watched some amazing defensemen come from the Okanagan.  Makar moves and plays the game like nobody else.  When I saw the Doyle cup in Penticton here I was sitting with old Vees alum and almost to a person admitted that Makar moved better and faster than Keith but also still managed to make plays at a far mroe successful rate.

Now bear with me, I am NOT saying Makar IS Keith or will be a Keith, I am saying that Keith as a Vee vs Makar at the same age, there was a noticeable difference.  

Fabbro last year, one of the top D in the draft, no comparison I'd take a risk on makar every time.  My opinion only here again.

Makar does in fact have the highest boom/bust rate of the D men in the 1st round, but also possiby the highest floor.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

My preference is

1. Heiskanen 

2. Glass

3. Trade down

4 minutes ago, BO_Scorvat said:

I think people aren't looking at heiskenen as much because he's a lefty an won't be the guy who runs the pp 

3 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Yeah our managment loves passing on great players

Heiskanen will likely be a solid, 2nd pairing D and will probably be NHL ready sooner. He has a high floor and is low risk. That's why re's rated high. 

IMO, he's the 3rd (maybe even 4th) best D in the draft if you don't mind waiting 3-4 years instead of 1-2. I'd take Liljegrin or Makar before him. I'd call it close on him and Valimaki for 3rd/4th.

His ceiling is basically Juolevi's floor IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

Heiskanen will likely be a solid, 2nd pairing D and will probably be NHL ready sooner. He has a high floor and is low risk. That's why re's rated high. 

IMO, he's the 3rd (maybe even 4th) best D in the draft if you don't mind waiting 3-4 years instead of 1-2. I'd take Liljegrin or Makar before him. I'd call it close on him and Valimaki for 3rd/4th.

His ceiling is basically Juolevi's floor IMO.

I'd say it was the same thing about Juolevi last year. He was the safest bet.  Chychrun, Sergachev, Bean and McAvoy all had higher ceiling but more risk, which is what made Juolevi ranked so high, he was the safest bet but 3-4 years down the road "if" those other player develop and reach their ceilings they'd be ranked higher. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd say it was the same thing about Juolevi last year. He was the safest bet.  Chychrun, Sergachev, Bean and McAvoy all had higher ceiling but more risk, which is what made Juolevi ranked so high, he was the safest bet but 3-4 years down the road "if" those other player develop and reach their ceilings they'd be ranked higher. 

I think OJ is better but yes, it's similar.

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Honestly

And I've stated this being my opinion only.

I've been a Vees seasont icket holder forever, I watch the rockets maybe 20-30 games a year.  I watched some amazing defensemen come from the Okanagan.  Makar moves and plays the game like nobody else.  When I saw the Doyle cup in Penticton here I was sitting with old Vees alum and almost to a person admitted that Makar moved better and faster than Keith but also still managed to make plays at a far mroe successful rate.

Now bear with me, I am NOT saying Makar IS Keith or will be a Keith, I am saying that Keith as a Vee vs Makar at the same age, there was a noticeable difference.  

Fabbro last year, one of the top D in the draft, no comparison I'd take a risk on makar every time.  My opinion only here again.

Makar does in fact have the highest boom/bust rate of the D men in the 1st round, but also possiby the highest floor.

Keith never played in the BCHL at the same age, Keith played at 16 & 17 and then went to play in a higher comp in the CCHA during his draft year. Kieth wasn't drafted out of the BCHL.  Makar is one of the older players being drafted he's almost 10 months old than someone like Vilardi. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat