The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

9 minutes ago, suitup said:

What happened to him? Anyone know? 

So true. Remember when people made fun of him for having Virtanen in the second round? 

If I recall correctly, I think he got banned.

23 minutes ago, suitup said:

What happened to him? Anyone know? 

So true. Remember when people made fun of him for having Virtanen in the second round? 

Got way to heated in some political threads started some name calling and some very not PC meme posting and bobs your uncle.

Button, shaken out over the last 8 years has actually possibly had the best success for picking actual NHL players.  Not flashy or sexy but actual players that made and are making major impacts.  Everyone else seems a carbon copy of each other.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Got way to heated in some political threads started some name calling and some very not PC meme posting and bobs your uncle.

Button, shaken out over the last 8 years has actually possibly had the best success for picking actual NHL players.  Not flashy or sexy but actual players that made and are making major impacts.  Everyone else seems a carbon copy of each other.

That's unfortunate. I enjoyed his hockey-related insights. 

Totally agreed, always like Button's takes. He takes the likelihood of NHL transferability into account whereas it feels like everyone else just looks at how dominant they were at the current level the players are playing at. 

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So did the mods change his name to ForsbergTheGONE ? :emot-parrot:

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

23 minutes ago, suitup said:

That's unfortunate. I enjoyed his hockey-related insights. 

Totally agreed, always like Button's takes. He takes the likelihood of NHL transferability into account whereas it feels like everyone else just looks at how dominant they were at the current level the players are playing at. 

Yeah, over time I've begun to listen to what Button has to say about prospect rankings.  It seems odd sometimes, but he's generally pretty accurate.  One of the only ones that ranked Virtanen way lower on the board.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 9:12 AM, HKSR said:

Yeah, over time I've begun to listen to what Button has to say about prospect rankings.  It seems odd sometimes, but he's generally pretty accurate.  One of the only ones that ranked Virtanen way lower on the board.

He seems to be far better at projecting players who are not able to justify their high draft status as much as he is able to say this is consensus pick X at spot Y.  That in itself is a neat trick

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He seems to be far better at projecting players who are not able to justify their high draft status as much as he is able to say this is consensus pick X at spot Y.  That in itself is a neat trick

Hhe also tends to pick where he believes players should go rather than where he believes they will be drafted. 

He knew JV would go earlier 1st round, but he believed he should be a 2nd round talent.

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Hhe also tends to pick where he believes players should go rather than where he believes they will be drafted. 

He knew JV would go earlier 1st round, but he believed he should be a 2nd round talent.

Can't recall why people gave the guy so much grief all the time.  He usually goes against the grain in terms of the "big 5" in regards to draft lists but he seems to be as successful as they are and more in regards to picking winners v over hyped

On 2/3/2017 at 11:07 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Does anyone have any stats/numbers on Petterson? He sounds like a really intriguing player and the type of dynamic, skilled playmaker we need. His size is obviously a concern at around 150-160lbs, but at 6'1 he has a pretty decent frame to fill into. He would probably take a longer development path but I don't really mind if he is the best player. Does anyone have any comparables/matches for his numbers?

Look at this brilliant take! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/23/2017 at 10:18 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Thanks god it wasn't the canucks that wasted there top 5 pick.....

Sakic will be gone soon, the guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing.  No wonder Roy left.

Oh bad take! this didn't age well! Lol

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

You should see my Quinn Hughes one ;)

I was just browsing back as someone had posted in that thread, quite funny to he how right or wrong people were. Not in an insulting way, simply that we as fans really know very little other than what we read about most of these draft eligible players. So our takes (including mine) are often waaaay off.....

I can take pride in knowing I wanted Sergachev and  / or Chychrun over Juolevi because I had seen alot of OHL games for the 2 years prior. And I did want Ehlers with our Jake pick badly but only so far as I had read alot...so maybe / maybe not I can take credit haha!

This year, my only call is Noah Collins - whomever takes him in the 3rd/4th rounds will find a steal. I hope this ages well haha!