The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Kristian Vesalainen is guy that i can see moving into the top 5, he is playing in the SHL and has good size and skill, he has 5 points in 15 games so far. As a comparison William Nylander had 7 points in 22 games in the SHL for his draft year.

I also read somewhere that he won 4 championships(ie gold medals and league championships) last season, including the SHL championship. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 2

Canucks could use just about everything in their prospect cupboard.

They need to scout out some highly touted offensively skilled forwards in all 3 positions, Could stand to draft a few more stud defencemen, and maybe a depth goaltending prospect.

Canucks should be focusing on loading up on picks to restock the cupboard.  It was getting better until we dealt McCann, and two picks and trading away Shinkaruk.  All of a sudden besides the 3 studs we have, and with recent graduates of Gaunce, upfront looks quite bare.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 1

On November 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM, TheSnipeshow91 said:

Jake Wise and Joel Farabee from ushl, Filip Zadina, Rasmus Dahlin and Alexander Khovanov in Europe,  next year's draft is going to be stacked with top end talent.

Good cause we will probably suck next year as well. I give it 3 years before we make playoffs again.

2 hours ago, sharbinder said:

I would say the Canucks biggest need is forwards with skill & playmaking ability. Our next generation will continue to have trouble scoring unless we add a playmaking center for Boeser & a playmaking wingers for Bo.

Patrick for Boeser. Baer for Bo. 

Patrick needs another winger, and Bo needs another winger, you got yourself a top six ;) 

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Patrick for Boeser. Baer for Bo. 

Patrick needs another winger, and Bo needs another winger, you got yourself a top six ;) 

It is a huge misconception that any line (1st, 2nd, 3rd) needs 3 guys that are elite, etc. In today's game it's usually pairs that have chemistry & finding a complimentary player that brings something the other 2 don't. (ie - Hansen, Burrows, Abdelkader, Alfredsson) 

I don't see the Canucks walking away with Nolan Patrick, even if we finish last. Might be more someone like Gabriel Vilardi. Or winger Comtois, who knows what happens. We can always hope on a prayer that Adam Gaudette turns into a steal & real good player. But the reality is we will probably be picking in the top 10 for the next 3-5 years. Where we will need to focus on high skill players with playmaking ability. 

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks could use just about everything in their prospect cupboard.

They need to scout out some highly touted offensively skilled forwards in all 3 positions, Could stand to draft a few more stud defencemen, and maybe a depth goaltending prospect.

Canucks should be focusing on loading up on picks to restock the cupboard.  It was getting better until we dealt McCann, and two picks and trading away Shinkaruk.  All of a sudden besides the 3 studs we have, and with recent graduates of Gaunce, upfront looks quite bare.

my strategy would be to get as many firsts as possible, like 2-3. If one is late and Oettinger is available, I would pick him based on asset value. He may have a better college career than demko.I would then flip one of him or demko in several years for a developed player.

Outside of top 2, I am high on rasmussen, valardi and middlesteadt, no doubt tippett looks good. With Juolevi, hutton, tanev, stretcher, tryamkin, brisbois, olson, I think that is enough depth to pick the best 2 available forwards

Not to bring up the past but man o man...

Mallet over Damon severson (developed by Kelowna rockets d man factory)

Jensen over Boone Jenner (they played on the same line, but Gillis dis not want another centre as he stated they had enough centres 

shinkaruk over shea theadore ( a local boy, big rugged d man with great numbers in his draft year)

Virtanen over nylander

Juolevi over tkachuk

there are certain maxims like - if there is a stud d man from the kelowna rockets available, draft him, if there is a stud forward from the london knights, draft him.

Edited by Canucks Curse

44 minutes ago, sharbinder said:

It is a huge misconception that any line (1st, 2nd, 3rd) needs 3 guys that are elite, etc. In today's game it's usually pairs that have chemistry & finding a complimentary player that brings something the other 2 don't. (ie - Hansen, Burrows, Abdelkader, Alfredsson) 

I don't see the Canucks walking away with Nolan Patrick, even if we finish last. Might be more someone like Gabriel Vilardi. Or winger Comtois, who knows what happens. We can always hope on a prayer that Adam Gaudette turns into a steal & real good player. But the reality is we will probably be picking in the top 10 for the next 3-5 years. Where we will need to focus on high skill players with playmaking ability. 

We will be getting a serviceable player in our lineup in this years draft even if not Patrick or Vilardi. If you grab Liljegren you most definitely make a trade of Tanev or Edler for a top 6 forward with skill. Outside of that Vesalainen, Middlesadt, Tolvanen look to be good prospects. Comtois is not somebody im impressed with thus far. 

• Upvote 2

On 2016-11-09 at 7:23 PM, Canucks Curse said:

thanks for the info... Noah Juulsen looked great!

Tanev and burrows max salary retained for Juulsen and sergachev lol

Juulsen looked really good in game 1 as well. Definitely one of the better players for Canada..... I still can't get over how big those Russian boys are this year. 

I see Poehling becoming the next Larkin that the teams picking in the top 10 will ignore. I would consider picking him as well and won't surprise me if we pick him even if we're picking in the top 5. Since Benning likes picking college guys, Poehling alongside Middlestadt as well would have to be on his radar. But if we pick #1, all of what I said won't matter as Patrick is the obvious pick :)

• Upvote 1