The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

That can go either way imo. Personally with the lack of centre depth we have, I'd put him up the middle with Boeser and Granny on his flanks one day that could form a solid line. If we pick Pettersson, then he's going to be a winger and they'll be on alone together since they click already in their time in the Swedish League. We might be picking around that 5-8 range anyways so I'd be picking Pettersson all day considering his chemistry with Dahlen and I bet you Benning is thinking the same

yeah. but i like middlestadt still. he seems to be a solid centre. but there's a lot of good players in the top ten, it seems. 

12 hours ago, guntrix said:

Of all drafts, this is definitely not the draft to waste resources on moving up imo. 

Or would it be because the price might actually be somewhat reasonable...? Particularly for 2nd overall vs 1st. I'd sure kick tires on it.

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Might be a good draft to move up depending on where we pick. I think Arizona might be motivated to trade down from number 2 if they end up there.

I wouldn't be against a package of Hutton, Granlund, and our 1st if it meant getting Hischier.

That said, that ^^^ is likely over payment IMO. One of Granlund/Hutton and our 1st (5-10'ish?) would be about my max...maybe a slight sweetener of a later pick/B prospect or the like.

That said, I think ARZ needs right D, not left (Hutton).

Edited by J.R.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Or would it be because the price might actually be somewhat reasonable...? Particularly for 2nd overall vs 1st. I'd sure kick tires on it.

That said, that ^^^ is likely over payment IMO. One of Granlund/Hutton and our 1st (5-10'ish?) would be about my max...maybe a slight sweetener of a later pick/B prospect or the like.

That said, I think ARZ needs right D, not left (Hutton).

Would you trade Patrick/Hischier for that return if you were Arizona? I sure wouldn't. There's so many other ways to maximize value out of a top two pick... they could shop it to the highest bidder or even keep it and trade away one of their other forward prospects. 

Nonetheless, I think Arizona does need an elite first line player with Doan retiring.

18 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Would you trade Patrick/Hischier for that return if you were Arizona? I sure wouldn't. There's so many other ways to maximize value out of a top two pick... they could shop it to the highest bidder or even keep it and trade away one of their other forward prospects. 

Nonetheless, I think Arizona does need an elite first line player with Doan retiring.

Depends on who's projected to be around where our pick is and what the other pieces we'd be sending are. If it's say the 5 pick and and a piece I feel I really need + a decent B prospect...I'd sure give it a long look.

Somewhere around say Mittelstadt, Hutton and lets say Gaunce isn't a bad package at all for Hischier IMO. And I like Hischier.

But otherwise, yes, this is why we rarely see high picks moved. There's too much risk to the GM of losing out on high potential. If Hischier turns in to a key, top player in the league and Mittel busts in that ^^ scenario you're a fired GM.

If you just take Hischier at 2 with your pick and he busts or even just doesn't make his ceiling, oh well, you were just going with the consensus # 2.  #$%@ (or Yakupov) happens.

Edited by J.R.

I like Pettersson too. Seems like a playmaking puck hound. I am excited for the combine to get some info on his size and athleticism. Everything that I have read on him says he is between 155 and 165 lb at 6'1" or 6'2". Which is quite small.

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

well, that's the question isn't it. if Dahlen is a natural centre, then we may draft a winger, instead at the upcoming draft. 

but if there's doubt whether Dahlen can be a top centre in the league, then we gotta take a centre in the draft. 

Pretty sure Gaudette is a centre and he is projecting very high.  We may have our 4 pivots moving forward.  Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter and Chaput

4 hours ago, monkey2 said:

I like Pettersson too. Seems like a playmaking puck hound. I am excited for the combine to get some info on his size and athleticism. Everything that I have read on him says he is between 155 and 165 lb at 6'1" or 6'2". Which is quite small.

he was listed as 6' 1" and 157 lbs at world juniors.

http://www.worldjunior2017.com/en/games/2017-01-05/SWE-vs-RUS/#statistics-tab

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Pretty sure Gaudette is a centre and he is projecting very high.  We may have our 4 pivots moving forward.  Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter and Chaput

unfortunate that Gaunce isn't on that list. 

horvat, dahlen, gaudette, gaunce - how about that? 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-03-09 at 9:45 PM, Camel Toe Drag said:

And I think DeNiro isn't wrong where a player in this draft COULD become a franchise player. But the difference is that no one is being projected to be a franchise tagged player thus there is no point selling the farm to move to draft a player who we are not 100% sure what we have in him. 

Benning is cocky when it comes to drafting. He won't trade blue chip assets to move up 2-3 spots. He will think he can get a good player anywhere in the first round. 

On 2017-03-10 at 1:12 AM, N4ZZY said:

but we need centres, since we don't really have depth there. 

Depends as well where Dahlen is going to be playing. Is he going to be a top centre in the NHL? or is the organization going to turn him into a winger? 

Winger. He's skilled but not very big ...

Dahlen is good along the boards for a smaller guy. I think he'll be able to step in and play centre if truly needed, but will be more effective on the wing. Didn't have a great game yesterday. Timra was not good as a team though

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brobidus said:

Any names to watch out for the second round? We potentially could end up with the 31st pick + our 2nd + Columbus 2nd.

Anderson-Dolan, Ivan Lodnia, Kole Lind, Henri Jokiharju to name a few. 

Would love either Lodnia, or Lind.