The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Tend to agree and wings are getting awfully crowded with Boeser, Baer, Granlund, Dahlen Virtanen, Eriksson etc all vying for top 9 spots the next couple years. Never mind any surprises. And the one thing that group lacks is more clear cut top 3/1st line guys. I vote we sell Baer and some of our surplus on D in a package for a top 3 forward. Domi, Landeskog or otherwise.

Goldobin?

I agree that Bear is the odd one out. Granlund and Horvat are special players that must be protected. Would be nice to replace bear with a younger more versatile prospect like left handed centre Henrik Borgstrom from Florida. Maybe an Edler + Baertchi package to Florida. 

Edited by kenhodgejr

2 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

So Button just said he has Cale Makar as his top rated dman. Thoughts?

Not out of the question.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'd put Mittel ahead of Villardi personally and Makar may just give Lilj a run for his money as well...

benning said they will look to draft a true offensive d-man or a 1st or 2nd line center. patrick, hichier and vilardi could be called benning's list. of the remaining center's available, who can be put in that category? mittlestadt, rasmussen, kostin or glass? offensive d-men ...vallimaki or tolvanen?

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Tanev is a great asset for the team, whether we trade him for a great return (it would have to be) or keep him for a number of years. He is such a smart player, he should be able to have a long career. 

Honestly Edler is the guy to move IMO. He has been very inconsistent, has some bad injury history and is making more than any other d man. He is on the decline.  

My vote (like I have one) is to keep Sbisa over Edler at the expansion draft.  Sbisa will never equal Edler in his prime, but is on pace to eclipse him at present.  Added to that, Sbisa has shown steady improvement, costs less, plays right and left and has a lot more years to give. 

If JB can move Edler, great, if not expose him. If Tanev gets traded, it needs to be for a huge return.  

My two cents. 

EW

I wonder if Benning can negotiate a "trade" in which we leave Edler exposed and then get something else in return?  

McFee said he's open for business in regards to picking unprotected players from team A and trading them to team B. Maybe Benning can swing something along those lines if he's going to expose Edler.

i really can't see us performing well next season. and the number one dman supposedly is to be rasmus dahlin. if we want an elite pp dman, let's tank for him next year. 

this season, there's a surplus it seems of centres especially in the top ten. 

i like, other than the obvious top two, middlestadt. seems to have sick hands, decent size, and has a high hockey iq. could be the number one centre we're looking for to replace hank eventually. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jiggs50 said:

i tend to agree. Watched Liljegren game film about 4 times and hes not extremely dynamic. Good at moving the puck, not overly physical. Good positioning. Makar has that it factor for me. Hes a bit irratic sometimes. But, hes a extremely dynamic in the offensive zone. Not afraid to mix it up and hes a gamer. Wants to win, at least thats what you see. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

i really can't see us performing well next season. and the number one dman supposedly is to be rasmus dahlin. if we want an elite pp dman, let's tank for him next year. 

this season, there's a surplus it seems of centres especially in the top ten. 

i like, other than the obvious top two, middlestadt. seems to have sick hands, decent size, and has a high hockey iq. could be the number one centre we're looking for to replace hank eventually. 

Couldn't agree more. If we got lucky and landed one of Patrick, Hischier or Middlestadt this year, and then Dahlin next year, then we could very well have ourselves a legit top centre and number one d-man moving forward. That could set our franchise up for success for the next decade or so. If only the hockey gods would be so kind lol

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Couldn't agree more. If we got lucky and landed one of Patrick, Hischier or Middlestadt this year, and then Dahlin next year, then we could very well have ourselves a legit top centre and number one d-man moving forward. That could set our franchise up for success for the next decade or so. If only the hockey gods would be so kind lol

Nice first post. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Thank you. I've been regularily reading these forums for nearly a decade now, enjoying the opinions and input from fellow fans, and finally decided to jump into the fray. I just can't seem to have proper hockey convos with any of my friends and my wife gets a little tired of my Canuck talk sometimes (she's a trooper though lol). 

Definitely the place to have an account then! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Makar to me looks like a Roman Josi. I'm not surprised Button would say that as I've noticed that the gap between Liljigren and Makar should be and is really close, but at the end of the day I'd still give the edge to Liljigren. I'd take both over Valardi just my preference. I also do like both guys more than Juolevi sadly. Patrick, Hischier, Liljigren, Pettersson (really high on this kid), Mittelstadt and Makar are my top 6. Makar and Mittelstadt are interchangeable but my top 4 is set right now.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I just see Stecher being our Barrie type D that can be the PP QB, or even hutton being our Ehrhoff.  Enough to be our PP QB so that's why I don't see it as a really team need.  Liljegren is the only player that we can say is a chance of being better than Stech and Hutton,  but the question becomes how much?  Is he a karlson or a Fowler, because if he's a Fowler, is it worth selecting a top pick on a slight improvement over what our own players will become

Hutton, Jake + a pick would be close.  But again I just see them going the other way with a Duchene for (Slavin, Murray, Chabot) and keeping Landeskog.

Long term I do to, but Vilardi is a safe pick, and canucks don't like taking risk players. 

The first pick Jimbo made was a risky pick in virtanen tho

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hutton, Jake + a pick would be close.  But again I just see them going the other way with a Duchene for (Slavin, Murray, Chabot) and keeping Landeskog.

Yeah, unless Benning and crew are absolutely convinced that Jake will at best top out as a 3rd liner, there is no way you trade him right now.  Not only the risk of his upside in that he alone could end up better than who you trade him for, but the fact that his value at present is likely the lowest since he was drafted.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I admit that I flip flop between moving Tanev or Edler. I agree with you that Edler is the best move but it comes down to what you can get back. My flip flop has always been that Tanev brings more back and the limitations of how you move Edler. I see Edler being effective at reduced TOI until the younger d-men can bump him out. With the improved play of Sbisa-Hutton-Tryamkin on the LD I might lean towards moving Edler now.

I am sure that next fall the usual banter over playoffs will begin. Odds are another year of development as the Twins play their swan song. Horvat will assume the leadership and hopefully Eriksson resumes his career norm performance. Once the Vegas draft is done Benning might have a surprise deal.   

Right there with you. 

A case can be made for both to be kept or moved, it all depends on the return. 

If one d man can't be moved prior to the expansion draft, I would expose Edler for the reasons already stated. 

EW 

1 hour ago, numb3r 16 said:

The first pick Jimbo made was a risky pick in virtanen tho

I was thinking it was the safe pick compared to some euro's like Nylander and Ehlers.

The thinking may have been that if Virtanen does not make it as a first/second line forward for sure he can make it as a third/fourth liner given his size and speed. Whereas if Ehlers and Nylanders skill does not translate to the NHl what do you have?

Given that at the time we had very few prospects I think they needed a sure fire NHL player.

• Upvote 2