The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

I know there was a lot of talk about Jake Wise prior to this season, but from what I can tell, there seems to be a lot of kids out playing him at the same age. Is he still held in such high regard? Or, is he another "next one" to take a nose dive before meeting expectations? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I know there was a lot of talk about Jake Wise prior to this season, but from what I can tell, there seems to be a lot of kids out playing him at the same age. Is he still held in such high regard? Or, is he another "next one" to take a nose dive before meeting expectations? 

There's also Olivier Wahlstrom who's also up there with him. 

By the way, Olivier Wahlmstrom is this kid

from a few years back.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

There's also Olivier Wahlstrom who's also up there with him. 

By the way, Olivier Wahlmstrom is this kid

from a few years back.

Very impressive for a 9 year old!

As "cool" as those moves are there is absolutely zero application for that in pro hockey. Not trying to sound like an old

grump either, but Sonny Milano could do all of that stuff and he's having a hell of a time trying to crack CBJ's roster. 

With that being said, Walhmstrom does look like he'll be a top ten prospect next year. 

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Very impressive for a 9 year old!

As "cool" as those moves are there is absolutely zero application for that in pro hockey. Not trying to sound like an old

grump either, but Sonny Milano could do all of that stuff and he's having a hell of a time trying to crack CBJ's roster

With that being said, Walhmstrom does look like he'll be a top ten prospect next year. 

Remember Robbie Schremp...Same thing

12 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Petersson and Vilardi are our obvious targets if we manage to draft say in the top 5-6. Around there, I would consider also picking Tolvanen, Liljegren, Necas, Makar. Tolvanen doesn't have the hype that Laine had last year but he has the potential to be one of the steals of this year's draft. Whoever drafts him will be happy to have him. He can easily become a sniper similar to Ovi, Laine and a bunch of others. Also I haven't seen anybody mention Necas. He had a strong WJC and should be on Benning's radar also if we pick in the 6-7 range. He'll be gone before 8 I can guarantee. He looks to be a solid 2 way center who can become our 2C behind Bo in the future. I really like his game. He had 30 points in 18 games for Kometa, a team in the Czech U20 league last year but he's having a down year for Kometa in the pro Czech league with 15 points in 41. Still he has the potential to be maybe a Plekanec like player, a Larkin also. If we pick top 5 no doubt we go with any one of these 5

Patrick 

Hischier

Vilardi

Tippett

Pettersson

if we're targeting D then Makar, Valimaki, Foote are also solid options. We end up with any one of the 5 and I'll be happy. Not to mention a potential San Jose 1st so Go Sharks!:wacko:

Necas is not having a down year, it's just really hard for 18 year olds to put up points in Czech league. For reference, czech players in their first year of draft eligibility:

David Krejci didn't play in men's league. He put up 60 points in 50 games in the U20 league.

Ondrej Palat didn't play in men's league but put up 56 points in 42 games in U20.

Tomas Plekanec put up 18 points in 48 games (.375 ppg)

Michael Frolik put up 9 points in 48 games (.188 ppg)

Milan Michalek put up 8 points in 46 games (.174 ppg)

Jiri Hudler put up 46 points in 46 games (1 ppg)

Tomas Hertl put up 25 points in 38 games (.658 ppg)

Jiri Tlusty put up 10 points in 44 games (.227 ppg)

Martin Necas put up 15 points in 41 games (.366 ppg)

There are other players like Voracek, Vrbata, Zacha, Hemsky who went the CHL route to get more exposure and ice-time so, it is hard to compare with them.

Overall, Necas is having a solid season. 

18 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Why don't most of you put Cody Glass in your top 10?

It's weird because he's got amazing numbers but he doesn't stand out in the usual ways top guys do. He's an average skater, his shot is whatever, his stick-handling is mediocre. Nothing stands out about him except his ability to read the play; he always ends up in the right spot and finds his teammates in the right spots as well. So maybe that's why people don't have him in the top 10, because you don't notice him for a lot of the game, and then, all of a sudden, he's put the puck in the net or made a great pass for a goal. 

18 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

It's weird because he's got amazing numbers but he doesn't stand out in the usual ways top guys do. He's an average skater, his shot is whatever, his stick-handling is mediocre. Nothing stands out about him except his ability to read the play; he always ends up in the right spot and finds his teammates in the right spots as well. So maybe that's why people don't have him in the top 10, because you don't notice him for a lot of the game, and then, all of a sudden, he's put the puck in the net or made a great pass for a goal. 

What was that Gretzky quote about skating to where the puck will be and not where it is...

1 hour ago, funkyfresh said:

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/video/cody-glass-profile If you go to 1:24 mark of the video on the page (which is Glass's player profile from the top prospects game) Dan Marr director of NHL central scouting gives a short scouting report of Glass's game. He says Glass has real good jump and dynamic speed in his game, plays the game at speed and with pace, quick hands, quick read and react, smart at the net to finish, can finish chances.  

• Upvote 2

If Owen Tippett is the BPA when we pick, do we take him or pick based on need for the team like last year and take a defenseman or center. Owen Tippett reminds me alot of Virtanen but has been pretty high on many lists lately and consistently in the top 6 on most lists.  

39 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If Owen Tippett is the BPA when we pick, do we take him or pick based on need for the team like last year and take a defenseman or center. Owen Tippett reminds me alot of Virtanen but has been pretty high on many lists lately and consistently in the top 6 on most lists.  

Who said we didn't draft bpa last year? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Who said we didn't draft bpa last year? 

Pretty much every single ranking pre draft from last year, but it was clear we needed a blue chip defense prospect and they take longer to develop. I can see their reasoning but I think we drafted for need instead of BPA and the fact wingers have less value than centers and defensemen. A lot of people are upset we didnt take tkachuk, but if we are in a similar position this year should we take Tippett if he is BPA or go for the center or defenseman? 

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Pretty much every single ranking pre draft from last year, but it was clear we needed a blue chip defense prospect and they take longer to develop. I can see their reasoning but I think we drafted for need instead of BPA and the fact wingers have less value than centers and defensemen. A lot of people are upset we didnt take tkachuk, but if we are in a similar position this year should we take Tippett if he is BPA or go for the center or defenseman? 

I'm aware that the majority of people think Tkachuk was the better player available. I'm not convinced that the Canucks management agreed, in which case they wouldn't have drafted Juolevi for need, but because they thought he was the better prospect.  

Notably, although Matt was the higher ranked prospect, there were a chorus of voices raising concern over his lack of speed and the fact he may have been the beneficiary of some stellar line mates.  I think he's proven that neither of those concerns were too justified, but they were still definitely there. 

Edit:  BPA as far as I'm concerned, if all things are equal:  centre first, wing last. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Upvote 1

My understanding is that after the top 2 the following 6 or 8 players are a toss up. We are probably picking before 7 and my question is:

Are there any players in the general consensus top 10 that are massive red flags or analytical consensus golden boys? 

My understanding is that after Patrick and Hirchier then anybody we pick we can just shrug and go "I guess that'll do." My guess is this Rasmussen kid might be a worrisome pick. A guy that big with point production that low in juniors is concerning. Also there is very little progression and the main sites cannot agree on where he belongs (top 10 or middle 1st round)

Edited by Scruffy05

1 hour ago, Scruffy05 said:

My understanding is that after the top 2 the following 6 or 8 players are a toss up. We are probably picking before 7 and my question is:

Are there any players in the general consensus top 10 that are massive red flags or analytical consensus golden boys? 

My understanding is that after Patrick and Hirchier then anybody we pick we can just shrug and go "I guess that'll do." My guess is this Rasmussen kid might be a worrisome pick. A guy that big with point production that low in juniors is concerning. Also there is very little progression and the main sites cannot agree on where he belongs (top 10 or middle 1st round)

I'm not sold on Lligren 

i think a lot of people put him in there top 10 just because they know and have heard about him in the past 

I don't know if I would use my top 10 pick on this guy 

Benning usually surprises most the time so I think he's gonna pick a guy like glass and it ends up working out for us