hyper00

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

Why don't most of you put Cody Glass in your top 10?

Also, no mention of Merkley for the 2018 class - dude is 16 until August and is nearly PPG in the OHL, as a right-shot Dman...

My top 10 (assuming we don't go any lower - I call us tanking down to 2nd, but picking 3rd overall)

1. Hischier
  2. Patrick
  3. Vilardi
  4. Glass
  5. Tippett
  6. Liljegren
  7. Mittelstadt
  8. Tolvanen
  9. Suzuki
  10. Andersson

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

But Benning will probably pick somebody else then we expect... like the last 2 drafts.

Picked who I expected :P

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

Stacked. At least 3 franchise players going in the top 5 (Rasmus Dahlin, Andrei Svechnikov, and Jack Wise). 

Jack Wise would be a game changer for our team! 

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Obviously it's way too early to know. As of right now though it's Dahlin/Svechnikov/Wise being the elite, and then there's a slight step below in Veleno/Boqvist/Wahlmstrom/Tkachuk.

Jack Wise is the next best American prospect and some scouts suggest he's better than Matthews/Eichel. He's been dubbed the next Jack Eichel so there's a lot of hype to this kid. Also has a cool name

Jack and I have the same last name so I'm praying we draft him so I can have a Canucks jersey with my own last name on it!! :)

• Upvote 2

What about Cale Makar? He looks like he could score a lot of goals as a D, might even be better than Liljegren 

Edited by kenhodgejr

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Also, no mention of Merkley for the 2018 class - dude is 16 until August and is nearly PPG in the OHL, as a right-shot Dman...

My top 10 (assuming we don't go any lower - I call us tanking down to 2nd, but picking 3rd overall)

1. Hischier
  2. Patrick
  3. Vilardi
  4. Glass
  5. Tippett
  6. Liljegren
  7. Mittelstadt
  8. Tolvanen
  9. Suzuki
  10. Andersson

Merkley id say is in the top 5 next year. 

Dahlin

Svechnikov 

Veleno

Wise

Merkley

Tkachuk

McLeod

Macdonald

Hughes

should all be in the mix. 

Dahlin is my number one. 

Edited by KKnight

After doing the draft lottery simulator a hole bunch of times we will most likely pick between 1-8. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked 7th. Even at 7, we can still land a pick like Cody Glass, Cale Makar, Timothy Liljegren, Nick Suzuki, Michael Rasmussen, Juuso Valimaki, Nicolas Hague, Eli Tolvanen, Elias Petterson, Martin Necks, Klim Kostin. 

Similar to last years draft the top15 look like NHL players

Edited by kenhodgejr

4 centres in the 1 to 40 range that i like are:

Nico Hischier

Elias Pettersson

Robert Thomas

Joshua Norris

I think all could end up being that 1/2 playmaking C that we are after.

Petersson and Vilardi are our obvious targets if we manage to draft say in the top 5-6. Around there, I would consider also picking Tolvanen, Liljegren, Necas, Makar. Tolvanen doesn't have the hype that Laine had last year but he has the potential to be one of the steals of this year's draft. Whoever drafts him will be happy to have him. He can easily become a sniper similar to Ovi, Laine and a bunch of others. Also I haven't seen anybody mention Necas. He had a strong WJC and should be on Benning's radar also if we pick in the 6-7 range. He'll be gone before 8 I can guarantee. He looks to be a solid 2 way center who can become our 2C behind Bo in the future. I really like his game. He had 30 points in 18 games for Kometa, a team in the Czech U20 league last year but he's having a down year for Kometa in the pro Czech league with 15 points in 41. Still he has the potential to be maybe a Plekanec like player, a Larkin also. If we pick top 5 no doubt we go with any one of these 5

Patrick 

Hischier

Vilardi

Tippett

Pettersson

if we're targeting D then Makar, Valimaki, Foote are also solid options. We end up with any one of the 5 and I'll be happy. Not to mention a potential San Jose 1st so Go Sharks!:wacko:

• Upvote 3

Just a random note on Eeli Tolvanen...

He's playing at a pace that would see him net 35 goals in 57 games, exact same as Brock Boeser in his draft year. Kyle Connor(WPG) with 34 goals in 56 games for reference as well. 

Sioux only has 8 games left, so he can only finish with 53 GP, will be watching to see how close he can come to that 35 goal mark. On pace for 32. 

• Upvote 1

I know there was a lot of talk about Jake Wise prior to this season, but from what I can tell, there seems to be a lot of kids out playing him at the same age. Is he still held in such high regard? Or, is he another "next one" to take a nose dive before meeting expectations? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I know there was a lot of talk about Jake Wise prior to this season, but from what I can tell, there seems to be a lot of kids out playing him at the same age. Is he still held in such high regard? Or, is he another "next one" to take a nose dive before meeting expectations? 

There's also Olivier Wahlstrom who's also up there with him. 

By the way, Olivier Wahlmstrom is this kid

from a few years back.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

from a few years back.

Very impressive for a 9 year old!

As "cool" as those moves are there is absolutely zero application for that in pro hockey. Not trying to sound like an old

grump either, but Sonny Milano could do all of that stuff and he's having a hell of a time trying to crack CBJ's roster. 

With that being said, Walhmstrom does look like he'll be a top ten prospect next year. 

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

from a few years back.

I just like the goalies reaction. Looks to the reff..?

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Very impressive for a 9 year old!

As "cool" as those moves are there is absolutely zero application for that in pro hockey. Not trying to sound like an old

grump either, but Sonny Milano could do all of that stuff and he's having a hell of a time trying to crack CBJ's roster

With that being said, Walhmstrom does look like he'll be a top ten prospect next year. 

Remember Robbie Schremp...Same thing

12 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Petersson and Vilardi are our obvious targets if we manage to draft say in the top 5-6. Around there, I would consider also picking Tolvanen, Liljegren, Necas, Makar. Tolvanen doesn't have the hype that Laine had last year but he has the potential to be one of the steals of this year's draft. Whoever drafts him will be happy to have him. He can easily become a sniper similar to Ovi, Laine and a bunch of others. Also I haven't seen anybody mention Necas. He had a strong WJC and should be on Benning's radar also if we pick in the 6-7 range. He'll be gone before 8 I can guarantee. He looks to be a solid 2 way center who can become our 2C behind Bo in the future. I really like his game. He had 30 points in 18 games for Kometa, a team in the Czech U20 league last year but he's having a down year for Kometa in the pro Czech league with 15 points in 41. Still he has the potential to be maybe a Plekanec like player, a Larkin also. If we pick top 5 no doubt we go with any one of these 5

Patrick 

Hischier

Vilardi

Tippett

Pettersson

if we're targeting D then Makar, Valimaki, Foote are also solid options. We end up with any one of the 5 and I'll be happy. Not to mention a potential San Jose 1st so Go Sharks!:wacko:

Necas is not having a down year, it's just really hard for 18 year olds to put up points in Czech league. For reference, czech players in their first year of draft eligibility:

David Krejci didn't play in men's league. He put up 60 points in 50 games in the U20 league.

Ondrej Palat didn't play in men's league but put up 56 points in 42 games in U20.

Tomas Plekanec put up 18 points in 48 games (.375 ppg)

Michael Frolik put up 9 points in 48 games (.188 ppg)

Milan Michalek put up 8 points in 46 games (.174 ppg)

Jiri Hudler put up 46 points in 46 games (1 ppg)

Tomas Hertl put up 25 points in 38 games (.658 ppg)

Jiri Tlusty put up 10 points in 44 games (.227 ppg)

Martin Necas put up 15 points in 41 games (.366 ppg)

There are other players like Voracek, Vrbata, Zacha, Hemsky who went the CHL route to get more exposure and ice-time so, it is hard to compare with them.

Overall, Necas is having a solid season. 

18 hours ago, EagleShield said:

It's weird because he's got amazing numbers but he doesn't stand out in the usual ways top guys do. He's an average skater, his shot is whatever, his stick-handling is mediocre. Nothing stands out about him except his ability to read the play; he always ends up in the right spot and finds his teammates in the right spots as well. So maybe that's why people don't have him in the top 10, because you don't notice him for a lot of the game, and then, all of a sudden, he's put the puck in the net or made a great pass for a goal.