The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Tippett might be close

We are already pretty heavy for wingers. I like Best-Player-Available as well but all these kids are so close that I would prioritize a center.

A college bound center might be exactly what we need- don't need to sign them for a while saving a contract slot and there is a bit of a logjam in center while the twins are still playing. Drafting somebody who is going to be developed elsewhere and delivered to us later? Doesn't sound like a bad plan.

9 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Necas and Goldobin aren't really great comparables. Necas is one of the best skaters in the draft; similar to william nylander in his draft year, in terms of skating. He's also a good two-way player whereas Goldobin is still developing that part of his game. Necas also brings a bit more passion and heart while goldobin is calm and cool.

Offensively I saw a lot of Goldobin's game in Necas when he was on the attack in the offensive zone - making strong rushes while crashing the net, smart plays in tight and is dangerous with his shot from the point as well. Defensively, yes you are absolutely right, which is what I meant by that he plays a more responsible game. I would have no problem if we selected him in the draft at all. 

If Goldy places the left then:

goldy mittelstadt boesser would be a sick line.

we have a lot of quality wingers:

boeser

virtanen

dahlen

goldy

baertschi

granni

we need 1 stud C and gor our young D- tryamkin, Hutton, Stetcher, juolevi, Neil, Brisebois, Subban to all develop. I think of the first four I named I could be a franchise d man

I would prefer Mittelstadt outside the top 2. Wouldn't be opposed to Vilardi, especially with his work ethic.

Would go as far as taking him 3rd if we're in that spot. He's got some silky hands, and would compliment the PP with his high IQ. 

Ideally, with Miller *gone next year, and the Sedins regressing even further, we would be in a position to take Dahlin or Svechnikov. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kaner said:

I would prefer Mittelstadt outside the top 2. Wouldn't be opposed to Vilardi, especially with his work ethic.

Would go as far as taking him 3rd if we're in that spot. He's got some silky hands, and would compliment the PP with his high IQ. 

Ideally, with Miller *gone next year, and the Sedins regressing even further, we would be in a position to take Dahlin or Svechnikov. 

Alf firmly believes Middlestadt will become the most offensively impacting player in this draft.  I think JB could trade down (if we are indeed fortunate enough to get one or two in the lotto) collect assets, and still pick Middlestadt.  How far down could JB move and still get Middlestadt?  

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

My gut says JB has mittelstadt at 3 and Petterson at 4/5 with vilardiVilardi

Well he wants a playmaking center or a powerlay QB D-man, so my guess is Vilardi/Mittelstadt are ranked 3/4 for him followed by Liljegren.

I think Mittelstadt probably suits what we need more. Vilardi seems to be pretty similar to Horvat, which is fine, but I think we need someone with a higher offensive ceiling to potentially be a first liner.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How does Mittelstadt's USHL numbers stack up against some former highly drafted players? 

In the USHL, Casey had a PPG of 1.31. For comparison, Clayton Keller was 1.61, followed by Kyle Connor at 1.43, and Colin White at .85.

Not bad company.

1 minute ago, Kaner said:

In the USHL, Casey had a PPG of 1.31. For comparison, Clayton Keller was 1.61, followed by Kyle Connor at 1.43, and Colin White at .85.

Not bad company.

This season Mittelstadt has a 1.42 PPG rate for the Green Bay Gamblers. Another comparable is Nick Schmaltz who scored at a 1.15 rate. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Kaner said:

Not bad company.

Keller and White also played for the US national team which featured a ton of highly drafted talent (including Matthews). That likely inflated their numbers a bit.

outside of the top 2, my preference goes to

-Middlstadt : C,  amazing hands, good speed, good vision, so poised with the puck...

-Tippett  : RW,  another natural sniper, incredible release) could even be an insurance for Boeser if he decided to not sign.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Keller and White also played for the US national team which featured a ton of highly drafted talent (including Matthews). That likely inflated their numbers a bit.

Mittelstadt definitely has the potential to be a dangerous offensive player. If we develope him properly, we could even see him filling out expectations. 

Ideally, he would spend 1 year in NCAA, and then a year to season in the AHL. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

How would that inflate there numbers in the ushl? Playing for there national team and playing in the ushl are two completely different ball parks, no?

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

1 minute ago, rypien=hero said:

How would that inflate there numbers in the ushl? Playing for there national team and playing in the ushl are two completely different ball parks, no?

Matthews was in Europe their draft year (2016) and thus did not effect their numbers. Clayton Keller has dominated offensively at every level he has played so far and is going to be a hell of a player for the Coyotes. I would not down play his talent. The only question mark is whether he might struggle to be as effective in the Western Conference as a center given his size. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, rypien=hero said:

The USNTDP Juniors is a team in the USHL that features the best young players in the country.

• Upvote 2