The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I agree, I think cracks the top 10. What I like about Glass is yeah he's a 6'2 centre with skill who possesses a high hockey sense, strong with the puck,  along with the speed, quick hands, and a crafty shot. 

Have you seen him play? Is he good enough for Canucks to pick him around 4-6  if he ends up having a Bo Horvat like playoff run with Portland? Or is he still not in the same league as those forwards we have all previous mentioned. Looking at his 94 points and the fact he leads Portland in scoring, makes me wonder how good is this guy. Those are some very, very impressive numbers.

2 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

I was agreeing with your point about people not actually seeing players play and then you suggested we needed elite talent and named these guys and basically through yourself into the same bucket

1. Maxime Comtois - was highly ranked last year and this year hasn't even put up a PPG in the Q - this is not a first line forward and he might fall into the second round

2 Matthew Strome - my guess is you're going by his last name vs skill. Poor skater, more of a grinder and probably higher ranked because he's a strome -certainly not  first line guy

3.  Entwhistle isn't even ranked in the top 2 rounds, Thomas second round, and Klostin lower first.

I am not sure if your post was a troll or what but the guys you're mentioning for the most part are late first/second round picks not top 5

I didnt say these are guys I want. The only player I said I wanted is Kostin. I said these are the only guys that I have watched play this year. What is the point of your post anyway? Just to try and be a smart ass? Honestly man, just don't reply unless its to have a productive conversation

2 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

depends on when one of their balls comes out. Remember last year they have the machine going and draw all the non playoff (lottery) teams and would call out 10-1 position based on what ball came out at what position (like watching lotto 649 results)

But vegas is guaranteed at least #6. 

So, say they get pulled as #7, they would automatically be given the number 6 and then next guy drawn is number 7, then next is number 5. They wouldn't 'go back in' as then they are getting 'more chances at the top pick -which isn't how its designed

So for the draw they are given the same number of chances as finishing number 3

Worst position they can fall to is number 6

I don't know what you are going on about here, but that is not how it happens. They have a lottery where the balls are put into the machine and are selected for only the top 3 picks. The rest of teams are adjusted accordingly and they then announce publicly the teams starting from the bottom in the position in which they will select until they unveil the number 1 pick. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

A lot of assumptions in this post there big fella. I would not assume anything about anyone. YouTube is also a great tool to get a "glimpse" or "key hole" into how a player looks. Thought I'd advise you since you failed to mention that in your post above. 

Secondly I can an almost assure you Benning does not take a winger with our first round. We are in greater need of a centre and should have a few options at a suitable centre with our pick. 

Your hindsight looks pretty 20/20 though. So that's good you knew about Kopitar and Pastrnak before all of us. Finally a pro scout on CDC. 

Lastly (please don't think I'm talking down to you) I would not compare at all Chychrun to Comtois. It's a forward vs a d-man. The only comparable is that their stock has dropped but even at that I would put either of them in the same sentence. 

You definitely crammed a lot of info and opinion into your 5th post so I can appreciate that, at least. Exciting times my friend, exciting times. 

In my opinion, I think Benning takes best player available this year. Centre is prefered of course. We all seen how excited he was to get Dubois last season. Valardi and Mittlestadt im thinking are the top 2 on the list. But if we happen to drop from 3rd/5th to 6th or 7th, and Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, and Mittlestadt all likely gone, I would not be suprised if we took a winger with a lot of goals in him, like Tippett or Tolvanen. I wouldnt even rule out the possibility of taking Liljegren if he drops. I think it would make more sense to take a guy like Owen Tippet rather then taking one of the next centre's on the list, like Surrey boy Michael Rasmussen (who has the chance to become a legit 2nd line centre like maybe a Kevin Hayes or Artem Anisimov), or Martn Necas (it sounds like he is more of a defensive centre, but also heard few people think he has underrated potential),

I wasnt talking about Kopitar before he was drafted. I meant playing for Slovenia recently, like at the olympics. Dont say you are not talking down on me, right after you say "finally a pro scout on cdc". I was talkng about Kopitar Pastrnak and Laine standing out so much that it was obvious for everyone to see.

What you said about Chychrun Comtois is pretty much what I had said. I made the point that both their stocks had dropped. They were both rated as high as top 3 picks, and both drop down to the 20's. Comtois will likely be undervalued at this years draft, just like Chychrun was at last seasons draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, B53 said:

I didnt say these are guys I want. The only player I said I wanted is Kostin. I said these are the only guys that I have watched play this year. What is the point of your post anyway? Just to try and be a smart ass? Honestly man, just don't reply unless its to have a productive conversation

not at all but point of most of the comments here are A) our first pick B ) you should state what rounds then since most of those guys arent worth our early pick and  or how you'd acquire the other late first rounder to get some of them

Patrick

Hischier

Mittlestadt

Vilardi

Tippett

Tolvanen

Liljegren

Andersson

Necas

Glass

I think Bennings list will look something like this. Either way, we should be getting a good player this time around.

***Are there ANY free agents this season?This is by far, the worst free agent market of all time. By far. There is absolutely nobody. I took a quick look and I saw absolutely nobody. Gagner or Bonino are decent. Kris Versteeg would be nice. Scott Darling I would LOVE to see split time with Markstrom. Twin Towers.

Some other veteran depth guys we could try instead of Skille and Shephard this season... Not a veteran, and dont know if LA resigns Nick Shore this off-seasoni after another low production season, but itd be cool to have him play with brother Drew. Dwight King would be a nice player to skate with Dorsett next year. That could work out better then Prust and not cost us Kassian and a 5th. Ryan White wouldnt be so bad either. Daniel WInnik would be a good signing if he was a few years younger. I'd love to have Ryan Garbutt on a two way deal and have Travis Green get him back to being a stud. Zac Rinaldo for the farm. Chris Vande Velde, I really like the way this guy plays. Derek Ryan is one of the only 30 year olds with untapped potential. Is there anyone im missing? This crop of FA's is such crap

Yanni Gourde stood out at the AHL All-Star game and was by far the most gifted player in the game. At 5'9, he hasnt looked out of place in the NHL either (looks pretty damn good actually). Him, along with a few other top AHL guys, would be guys worth taking a look at. Look at Sven Andrighetto since he got to Colorado, or Agostino and Sanford for St. Louis. Washington has a bunch of guys in their early 20's there that JB should enquire about. Pittsburgh lately has been developing their AHL talent so well. Connor Sheary and Bryan Rust last season. Jake Guentzel looks to be a stud this year. Of course, theres Matt Murray as well. BTW, Zachary Aston-Reese already has 7 points in 7 games. Maybe we take a chance on Oskar Sundqvist. Who is that Wilkes-Barre coach. I want him, just to develope our players. Don't care about wins next year. He started out in the ECHL, and 11 of his players made it to Wilkes-Barre the next year. He has been the AHL head coach for 2 years now, and that seems to be when the talent started coming in.

Gudbranson turned down 5 mil in Florida, and was reportedly looking for 6. In my opinion, I don't even feel he should get what he earned this season. The best case scenario with him would be to go to arbitration. If not, he may be the defenceman that JB uses to get his young top 6 fwd. If his trade value is too low, we can look at dealing Hutton. At the start of the season I was thinking we trade Hutton for Nylander, but their seasons went in opposite directions, so that deal is impossible now. Perhaps dealing him for Connor Brown would be good. He looks like he will be a 25-30 goal scorer maybe as early as next season. We can probably get a draft pick from them as well. Oliver Bjorkstrand is another guy who should be ready for everyday middle 6 action next season. I think Benning only does it for a forward with size though, so maybe Horvat's buddy Josh Anderson. If we happen to deal Chris Tanev, I think Tanner Pearson would be a good player to target. We can probably get them to add a pick/prospect as well.

After Calgary makes their UFA signings this year, we should offer sheet Michael Ferland $3.75M and put them in a tough situation. Another stud stolen from them for a 2nd round pick. Don't know if JB would do it considering Brad Treveling (sp?) is one of his favorite trade partners. Maybe we take advantage of Chicago's cash problems and make the same offer to Richard Panik. Knowing Bowman, he'd probably be looking to trade him anyway. So we'd have to offer a bit more then a 2nd pick, but we could at least re-sign him to a bridge deal under 3 mil

21 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

not at all but point of most of the comments here are A) our first pick B ) you should state what rounds then since most of those guys arent worth our early pick and  or how you'd acquire the other late first rounder to get some of them

All the guys I named were top 30 players in the draft, so 1st rounders. We have a top 10 pick this year, and potentially a 30th pick as well. Made sense to me to name those players.

**It would be sweet to get Robert Thomas with the 30th pick. A young Bo Horvat. Popugaev is rated 30th right now, but in my opinion, he looked like a better player then Rasmussen. It's only one game though. A player an inch taller then those two, Isaac Ratcliffe, actually played better then both of them. I have not seen him on anyone's list so I am not sure what he is rated, but I am surprised he has not received more attention.

QUESTION---- Does  anybody know why Matthew Strome is rated so low. Has anyone seen him play? What is so wrong with his game, that scouts have him rated as a late 1st or early 2nd. He had 34 goals and is a point per game player. Was the top scorer on his team as a 17 year old ahead of Will Bitten and Cramarossa's brother. He's on the verge of taking a pretty $&!#ty Hamilton team into the 2nd round of the playoffs. What am I missing. I watched him when the Hamilton-Kingston game was on sportsnet last week, and there was nothing that stood out to me that was super negative. Maybe he wasn't the fastest, and his defensive play didnt stand out, but still. Has anyone got a chance to watch him a few times this year? Does anybody know what the word is on him according to scouts? His brothers seem to think that he is gonna be the best of the 3

4 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

depends on when one of their balls comes out. Remember last year they have the machine going and draw all the non playoff (lottery) teams and would call out 10-1 position based on what ball came out at what position (like watching lotto 649 results)

But vegas is guaranteed at least #6. 

So, say they get pulled as #7, they would automatically be given the number 6 and then next guy drawn is number 7, then next is number 5. They wouldn't 'go back in' as then they are getting 'more chances at the top pick -which isn't how its designed

So for the draw they are given the same number of chances as finishing number 3

Worst position they can fall to is number 6

I think you got it a bit confused. If they would be picking from 10 to 1, it wouldnt work cuz Colorado would likely be picking 10, Arizona 9, etc. The team who gets 1st would probably end up being someone like Tampa Bay or LA Kings. The reason you saw the teams called out from 10 to 1, was all for show. They already do the draw in the back to see which 3 teams have been chosen. So this year they draw the balls 3 times and Vegas wins the lottery, Canucks get 2nd, and New Jersey wins 3rd. Then in the back, they put those teams in their appropriate envelopes, followed by Colorado put into number 4, Arizona in 5, Dallas in 6, etc. Then they come out and reveal the envelopes to the GM's and fans.

**They should do the lottery balls llive on T.V. No controversy this way. Like Pittsburgh winning Crosby when they are about to go bankrupt. BS. Edmonton winning the lottery all those times was bad enough, then they get McDavid. Bettman sees the potential money in Edmonton once they start doing well again. And Toronto, well, pretty simple. They are the leagues biggest money maker. Now they will make another 20% more from results, merchandise, tickets, playoffs, etc. Mostly cuz of Matthews and other high draft choices. Im sure they know how to rig those draws. This year, i wouldnt be suprised if Vancouver won it. We probably bring in nothing to the league compared to what we used too a few years back. New York Islanders get number 2 cuz that organization needs a lot of help off the ice. hmmmm lll say LA gets number 3 cuz Bettman wants them back to playing well and making them all that money. Florida is another option cuz they need to put seats in the stadium. Oh yeah, they won a lottery as well, forgot. Buffalo getting Eichel makes sense cuz Buffalo used to have low attendance but now are doing great. Arizona could use help as well. Auston Matthews would have been to fishy though

5 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

In my view here's what it comes down to

1. Draft position obviously but assume we're top 5

2. Top 2 then no brainers given need we take 1) Patrick or if we get 2) Hirschier

3. If we are in three to six hole it then depends on who goes but what I think is key is Benning knows we need a young center and there are quality centers available (so we will end up with a good prospect)

Question I have is, of those centers and I really don't see him taking a dman(unless we have a trade lined up but stranger things have happened,) but question is of the following who does he have ranked higher and who's watched alot of these guys? I have seen none but read alot on a few of them

Villardi - sounds like Bo 2.0 - Benning may want a sure thing and be happy with that - I had read his skating was suspect but also read the opposite but his numbers don't scream elite talent to me.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/03/31/gabriel-vilardi-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-3/

Glass - making a real name for himself and putting up big offensive numbers, apparently a good skater and very competitive- needs to fill out though but 6'2 so he should

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/03/cody-glass-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-6/

Middlstadt - done alot of reading on this kid and sounds like a legit number one potential, great skater, distributor and makes players around him better apparently- question is quality of competition - since he's in HS - but they factor that into their numbers/adjust - scouts see him top ten so he's legit. Great skater, 6'2 200 lbs already.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/02/casey-mittelstadt-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-5/

Rasmussen - know very little, read very little but a big kid, local, but much like villardi not puttin up dominant numbers - a project i dont think we would take that high

Necas - unknown read little

Since I haven't seen these guys play and most here haven't either other than youtube highlights its hard to know who's best for us but I would venture to say Middlstadt, Villardi, Glass are probably the order (or at least I would hope) benning has them ranked.

VILARDI- is more like Spezza or a young Thornton, nothing like Bo at all actually. His vision/passing is better then anyone in this draft by far, and probably better then anyone from last years stacked draft. His numbers are really good by the way. These kids are 17 years old and leading there junior teams in scoring. After guys like Patrick and Hischier... Matthews, Laine.... McDavid Eichel... etc... You then have that next group of forwards. Vilardi's numbers are similar to the forwards who play in CHL. Last year: Logan Brown, Nylander, McLeod, etc. The year before, Pavel Zacha, DeBrusk. Barzal, etc. Before that Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini,... Then Sean Monahan, Bo Horvat... So Vilardi's numbers are just fine. 

MITTLESTADT-He was playing USHL before he went back to highschool, and he was ripping it up.. So if teams got to see him in the first half of the year, they would have a more accurate scouting report then someone like Jim Benning, who went to go watch him a couple weeks ago. I hope our scouts have seen him many times. He is the player I want to draft

RASMUSSEN- isnt putting up dominant numbers, just as guys like Logan Brown, Tom Wilson, Lawson Crouse, etc. those guys are huge players who are not as gifted as the others. They are likely middle 6 forwards, but are still rated as high 1st rounders. Not what Canucks need. We need someone who has potential to be a solid 2nd line guy behind Horvat, but has better natural offensive talent then Bo and would play 1st PP. Someone like Nylander, Connor, Keller, etc. If there is noone like that available at our pick, then maybe he takes a big guy like Rasmussen, cuz obvously we could use some size up front to play with our pussy forwards

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, B53 said:

All the guys I named were top 30 players in the draft, so 1st rounders. We have a top 10 pick this year, and potentially a 30th pick as well. Made sense to me to name those players.

**It would be sweet to get Robert Thomas with the 30th pick. A young Bo Horvat. Popugaev is rated 30th right now, but in my opinion, he looked like a better player then Rasmussen. It's only one game though. A player an inch taller then those two, Isaac Ratcliffe, actually played better then both of them. I have not seen him on anyone's list so I am not sure what he is rated, but I am surprised he has not received more attention.

QUESTION---- Does  anybody know why Matthew Strome is rated so low. Has anyone seen him play? What is so wrong with his game, that scouts have him rated as a late 1st or early 2nd. He had 34 goals and is a point per game player. Was the top scorer on his team as a 17 year old ahead of Will Bitten and Cramarossa's brother. He's on the verge of taking a pretty $&!#ty Hamilton team into the 2nd round of the playoffs. What am I missing. I watched him when the Hamilton-Kingston game was on sportsnet last week, and there was nothing that stood out to me that was super negative. Maybe he wasn't the fastest, and his defensive play didnt stand out, but still. Has anyone got a chance to watch him a few times this year? Does anybody know what the word is on him according to scouts? His brothers seem to think that he is gonna be the best of the 3

bo horvat is already young

3 hours ago, B53 said:

Staal brothers said the same about Jared no?

5 hours ago, B53 said:

Patrick

Hischier

Mittlestadt

Vilardi

Tippett

Tolvanen

Liljegren

Andersson

Necas

Glass

Gudbranson turned down 5 mil in Florida, and was reportedly looking for 6. In my opinion.

I thought you wanted Glass at 31? :lol:

Not remotely true about Gudbranson.

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I think it be kinda cool but scary if the Jets got another Finnish sniper in Tolvanen :ph34r:

Just watch, Tolvanen will be this year's Jost. Just out of our range but still very intriguing. Over a PPG in the USHL this year and committed to Boston College next year. The NCAA system is producing a lot of gems as of late. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Just watch, Tolvanen will be this year's Jost. Just out of our range but still very intriguing. Over a PPG in the USHL this year and committed to Boston College next year. The NCAA system is producing a lot of gems as of late. 

No doubt. I also feel like he could go slightly higher than people expect. Kind of like a Keller situation last year. A player committing to a great NCAA program and clearly has a ton of skill. Playing the waiting game is the hardest part.