The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Nation back in force with Nolan Patrick as the target?

Vinny in Vancouver

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I love the Juolevi pick as I think he has Lidstrom potential. But I don't think he is ready for the NHL this year. Craig Button (who I know isn't the best scout) said that he thinks there will be 4 franchise centre men in the 3 drafts: McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, and Nolan Patrick. If we're not going to get a stud C like Stamkos, I personally would love to see the Canucks tank to get Nolan. My only problem is coming up with a catchy slogan for this:

• No-Wins for Nolan
  • No Playoffs means NP

:P

Yeah, I hate hockey too.

31 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I get why you're upset, but I think I'm being realistic. Allow me to explain. I would love to see this group of Canucks win, but imho, just looking at the other teams in our division, we're not matching up very well. There are only so many ways you can improve your team: draft, trade, free agents, improvement of existing players, better coaching.

• In the draft, I don't think we got a player who will help us this year.
  • In the free agent list, I know it's debatable, but I personally think only a Stamkos is good enough for us to move up to the next level.
  • On the trade front, Gudbranson will help, but he's not going to score. To get talent in a trade, you need to give up talent and our AHL stable is bare and a lot of our guys are old (and no, Sbisa, doesn't count as talent). 
  • Our young guys are talented but very inexperienced. Our old guys are...getting older.
  • We still have Willie.

We're going to need a number 1 centre soon to replace Henrik. I believe that future number 1 centre is currently not on our team. That's why I'm looking to see where we can get one. Enter Nolan Patrick.

You didn't respond to my points. You can p!ss off the entire season ticket base by icing a  purposely terrible team, which then means empty seats, which then means no max cap limit (which we take for granted in Vancouver), all for a 1 in 5 chance to get your subjective #1.

Speaking of subjective #1, many people on these boards, even later in the hockey season, last year, wanted us to tank for Chychrun. He just went #16 overall.

I hope Pulyiyarvi doesn't get destroyed in Edmonton's "development" program, but I'd set the odds at that at greater than 20%.

I'd rather cheer for my team to win every game. Retro outlook, I know.

2 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

You didn't respond to my points. You can p!ss off the entire season ticket base by icing a  purposely terrible team, which then means empty seats, which then means no max cap limit (which we take for granted in Vancouver), all for a 1 in 5 chance to get your subjective #1.

Speaking of subjective #1, many people on these boards, even later in the hockey season, last year, wanted us to tank for Chychrun. He just went #16 overall.

I hope Pulyiyarvi doesn't get destroyed in Edmonton's "development" program, but I'd set the odds at that at greater than 20%.

This season was terrible to endure. And yet, we ended up with a mere 5th overall. Not even top 3!! And people are still advocating for the team to suck on purpose. Unbelievable. I'm with you there. Sucking on purpose for an 18 year old (unless it's for Lemieux, Crosby, and McDavid) is just a stupid way to run a team. Why even pay the manger millions of dollars to run your team? Anyone can make the team suck.

And yeah, spending to the max cap is a luxury that was not afforded to the Canucks until the Acquillini's took over and thanks in large part to WCE's success filling the building full. Tanking will mean empty seats and no profit. No profit means no new investment. And the team continues to suck for a prolonged time. It's a vicious cycle that I'd rather not see the Canucks get sucked into.

1 minute ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Here's the thing - with the strength of the teams in our division, you don't need to ice a purposely terrible team to lose. The tank I'm hoping to see is nothing more than simple things like:

• don't make any moves just for a band-aid fix that won't win us the Cup - i.e., the Vrbata signing.
  • don't give 5 years to Lucic or Ericsson
  • don't trade any more picks unless you're getting a star in return

As far as pissing off the season ticket base, that was never the main intent. The intent is to build a team that honestly has a chance to win the Cup. If we had gotten any of the big 3 or PLD, I would have been a big proponent of going for it this year. But as much as I like Juolevi, he is 2 years away from contributing in any meaningful fashion. It's all about what the goal is - I want the Cup and nothing less.

Canucks just got an excellent defenseman with skills that could give the team the pp expertise they've been missing since Sammy and the crybaby fest continues, reminds me of the day the Sedins were drafted, alot of so called fans leaped off the wagon then too. Dubois was gone and defense became top priority. Nice choice JB!

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

I hate the whole concept of tanking.  It's an insult to every current member of the team who is trying their best to win.  And if they aren't trying to win they shouldn't be on the team.  There are many ways to build for the future but intentionally losing is just plain cowardly, not to mention stupid.   Even if a team does come in last it is still not a guaranteed first overall pick.  Do you seriously think that Henrik and Daniel want to lose just to get a chance at a good pick?   Win now and win later.  And if we can't win, we're going to die trying (and entertain the audience along the way).  Go Canucks Go!

with the exception of boston.. which recent cup winner did not go through some version of tanking or ultra sucking? no one said u need 1st overall.. but having a boatload of top end talents sure beats play to make the playoff and draft in the middle every year.. detroit strategy doesn't work as it requires drafting gems and that is straight up luck

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

did I whine at the Baerstchi contract, NO did I whine at the Demko signing. I only voice my opinion when I know its a huge mistake. Look if they were going to after Olli then they should have atleast traded with flames and got something in return. Remember how Burke got us the Sedins', its called wheeling and dealing I seriously don't know if Benning is a good negotiator, so far I think he's not he seems to over-pay many trades.

You whined all the time before the Baerstchi contract saying that he will overpay and for drafting demko saying that he wont sign with the canucks. Those weren't even mistakes just theoretical situations which never existed.

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Here's the thing - with the strength of the teams in our division, you don't need to ice a purposely terrible team to lose. The tank I'm hoping to see is nothing more than simple things like:

• don't make any moves just for a band-aid fix that won't win us the Cup - i.e., the Vrbata signing.
  • don't give 5 years to Lucic or Ericsson
  • don't trade any more picks unless you're getting a star in return

As far as pissing off the season ticket base, that was never the main intent. The intent is to build a team that honestly has a chance to win the Cup. If we had gotten any of the big 3 or PLD, I would have been a big proponent of going for it this year. But as much as I like Juolevi, he is 2 years away from contributing in any meaningful fashion. It's all about what the goal is - I want the Cup and nothing less.

Do you actually think through this delusion of yours, and consider how it plays out over the course of even one year? Because here's the Team Reality version of how Tankathon would go down in practise.

Benning and management group do nothing during free agency. Team starts the year well enough -- remember, no playoffs means not only a motivated team (players and coaches on a different page than management -- oops! guess we have some dissension brewing, and long-term, too!) to get back into the playoffs, but a well-rested team that hasn't competed hard for almost a half-year.

Sedins, if healthy, get 70 points each. D, with Weber, Bartkowski out, and Gudbranson in, 2nd year Hutton, Tryamkin, healthy Edler and (possibly) Sbisa healthy, we're certainly better. Sutter, extra 60 games, taking a big load of responsibility off a young Horvat. Baertchi, a year more seasoned.

As long as we don't have the major injuries we had last year (inc. Henrik playing hurt), there's no way -- short of pulling off a Chicago Black Sox of 1919 -- that you're going to finish last. More likely in the #5 to #15 (worst overall) range.

But whether you're tanking subtly or overtly, you're still either pissing off paying fans, or you're boring them, which amounts to the same thing -- lack of interest and empty seats.

Fantasies are one thing. But there's no excuse for starting to believe in them.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

with the exception of boston.. which recent cup winner did not go through some version of tanking or ultra sucking? no one said u need 1st overall.. but having a boatload of top end talents sure beats play to make the playoff and draft in the middle every year.. detroit strategy doesn't work as it requires drafting gems and that is straight up luck

So, you're suggesting losing on purpose for several years in a row?  Disgraceful!  Drafting well isn't just mere luck.  There is of course an element of luck (nobody can predict the future) but with good scouting and good player development the Detroit strategy can and does and has worked.  The Canucks haven't been good at drafting in the past but Benning is particularly good at this aspect of management (that's why he was hired).  Besides, it's simply degrading to lose on purpose, we want to cultivate a culture of winning.  Win now and win later.  Or die trying.  I stand by those comments. 

P.S. - The OP was talking about taking a specific player first overall, wasn't he? 

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

I hate the whole concept of tanking.  It's an insult to every current member of the team who is trying their best to win.  And if they aren't trying to win they shouldn't be on the team.  There are many ways to build for the future but intentionally losing is just plain cowardly, not to mention stupid.   Even if a team does come in last it is still not a guaranteed first overall pick.  Do you seriously think that Henrik and Daniel want to lose just to get a chance at a good pick?   Win now and win later.  And if we can't win, we're going to die trying (and entertain the audience along the way).  Go Canucks Go!

Buddy, don't sweat it

This team couldn't organize a tank at a Lobster restaurant. It takes a little cunning and cutthroat intelligence to pull off a tank and this team just hasn't got that kind of........ANYTHING!  

ˆt's like we have a built-in self-destruct system or something, new fans won't know but to all of us who have watched a few eras of this team, it's incredible how the team always returns to it's baseline, bumbling ineptitude and dollar store class.

Seriously who the hell is this Jim Benning guy who can't speak proper English (We don't got no defensemen...duhh!!) And Just what that hell is Trev thinking, I love Trev, he was a childhood hero and turned out to be a really nice guy, who I have a ton of respect for,

But I just can't believe this Calgary Flames 2010 or NYIslanders 2000 BS is happening to us again and under HIS WATCH! What the hell is Aqualinni thinking? He wants to keep selling tickets right? Well this coming season will start with the lowest seasons ticket base since 1999, do they really think we are going to be like "YAY LOUIS ERIKKSON! ALL IS FORGIVEN" Lucic? Messier 2.0?

We don't want free agents! and we don't want to draft middling D-men in possitions we should be plucking our next first line players,

Serriously, the optics of this "Re-build" the team will not admit to are looking worse everyday.

Archived