The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Nation back in force with Nolan Patrick as the target?

Vinny in Vancouver

Dontmesswithme, you will kill yourself if the Canucks win the cup next year? Are you even a Canucks fan? Or will you kill yourself out of pure elation, knowing that nothing more meaningful will happen in your life?

4 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I can't understand why "fans" don't think the Canucks will be massively improved next year:

-add Gudbranson;

-add UFA massive improvement over Vrbata; 

-add a full season of Tryamkin and sophomore season of Hutton; and

-minus stupid injuries.

The Canucks are not getting worse in any position, period.

You're getting ahead of yourself with that "UFA massive improvement over Vrbata".

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I love the Juolevi pick as I think he has Lidstrom potential. But I don't think he is ready for the NHL this year. Craig Button (who I know isn't the best scout) said that he thinks there will be 4 franchise centre men in the 3 drafts: McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, and Nolan Patrick. If we're not going to get a stud C like Stamkos, I personally would love to see the Canucks tank to get Nolan. My only problem is coming up with a catchy slogan for this:

• No-Wins for Nolan
  • No Playoffs means NP

:P

How about NO. The Canucks won't finish last anyways since they will be much better than last season and even last season they couldn't finish last especially with that crap lottery system. When we sign Lucic and Ericsson, and with a healthy sutter and Edler, we will for sure finish close to a playoff spot or be in the playoffs. We already added Gudbranson, Stecher to the mix and I bet Benning will make a huge splash during UFA so it will be embarrassing to finish last. 

5 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Dontmesswithme, you will kill yourself if the Canucks win the cup next year? Are you even a Canucks fan? Or will you kill yourself out of pure elation, knowing that nothing more meaningful will happen in your life?

When I mean I will kill myself, its just a saying. Not like Im actually gonna kill myself. Its just a way for me to say that I am very confident that the canucks will not win the cup next year 

18 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I can't understand why "fans" don't think the Canucks will be massively improved next year:

-add Gudbranson;

-add UFA massive improvement over Vrbata; 

-add a full season of Tryamkin and sophomore season of Hutton; and

-minus stupid injuries.

The Canucks are not getting worse in any position, period.

Don't forget if Joulevi impresses at the camp, like really really impresses, he could be in the top 6 mix of defenders. 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Joulevi-Sbisa

Tryamkin

That could be a high possibility since Joulevi already has the NHL IQ and smarts, just the question of his strength which could become a non issue if he were to play alongside Sbisa.

13 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Don't forget if Joulevi impresses at the camp, like really really impresses, he could be in the top 6 mix of defenders. 

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Joulevi-Sbisa

Tryamkin

That could be a high possibility since Joulevi already has the NHL IQ and smarts, just the question of his strength which could become a non issue if he were to play alongside Sbisa.

As much as I'd like to see this happen because everybody would feel better about the pick we just have too many body's on d as it is. With that roster you've let Hamhuis walk and waived all of Pedan, Larsen and Biega. Biega probably clears where Larsen would go back to the KHL and Pedan probably gets claimed.

11 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Joulevi-Sbisa

Tryamkin

I don't know. I think the world of the kid, but man, that D position is so tough to learn. The pace and physicality and hockey smarts of the players in the big show are amazing. It's not like a forward like Virtanen (who already had a mature body) or a Mccann coming up early - those guys can make a mistake and it's not the end of the world. When a D-man makes a mistake, it gets ugly really quickly. That said, we have had success with Tanev and Hutton, but those guys were already mature when they joined the Canucks. Imho, best for Juolevi to learn the pace of the AHL first and then jump in to the NHL.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I love the Juolevi pick as I think he has Lidstrom potential. But I don't think he is ready for the NHL this year. Craig Button (who I know isn't the best scout) said that he thinks there will be 4 franchise centre men in the 3 drafts: McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, and Nolan Patrick. If we're not going to get a stud C like Stamkos, I personally would love to see the Canucks tank to get Nolan. My only problem is coming up with a catchy slogan for this:

• No-Wins for Nolan
  • No Playoffs means NP

:P

people with beliefs like this are what is wrong with the world. just the absolute worst fan. EVER

4 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

As far as pissing off the season ticket base, that was never the main intent. The intent is to build a team that honestly has a chance to win the Cup. If we had gotten any of the big 3 or PLD, I would have been a big proponent of going for it this year. But as much as I like Juolevi, he is 2 years away from contributing in any meaningful fashion. It's all about what the goal is - I want the Cup and nothing less.

If you're a fan of finishing low (I'm not going to say tank because no one seems to understand what tanking really is) then you should be ecstatic with this pick.  He won't play on the team next year (possible but I doubt it) meaning we have the chance of another high draft pick next year.  Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, PLD would not have won us the cup next year and would guarantee we finish higher in the standings.

20 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

If you're a fan of finishing low (I'm not going to say tank because no one seems to understand what tanking really is) then you should be ecstatic with this pick.  He won't play on the team next year (possible but I doubt it) meaning we have the chance of another high draft pick next year.  Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, PLD would not have won us the cup next year and would guarantee we finish higher in the standings.

Yes, I know, 'tank' was a poorly chosen word for what I'm actually proposing. I think people are mistaking the post for what it is. I am not a fan of finishing low for the sake of finishing low or even for the sake of stockpiling high draft picks. I am a fan of getting Nolan Patrick because I believe the kid is special, and I believe we need a player like that to win the Cup. If we had gotten Matthews or PLD or Puljujarvi, I wouldn't be pining for Nolan Patrick as much because I believe those other guys will already provide elite scoring opportunities not just in the near-term but also in the long-term. In that scenario, adding an Eriksson and a Lucic may be good enough to have a fighting chance at the Cup not just this year but in the next few years especially when the Sedins are no longer effective. This hit me during the playoffs this year - despite the absence of Candian teams, I actually watched quite a bit of NHL playoff games this year, and I was surprised by the higher quality of play on the offensive side compared to what I saw in the Canucks games this year - even when we had most of our players during the start of the season.

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

did I whine at the Baerstchi contract, NO did I whine at the Demko signing. I only voice my opinion when I know its a huge mistake. Look if they were going to after Olli then they should have atleast traded with flames and got something in return. Remember how Burke got us the Sedins', its called wheeling and dealing I seriously don't know if Benning is a good negotiator, so far I think he's not he seems to over-pay many trades.

Name one trade that Benning over paid and hasn't worked out?

Your Gudbranson judgement is reserved for next season.

When Sutter was on the ice, we were a playoff team. Granlund is young and can already play NHL minutes.
Vey for a 2nd is still a decent trade as most 2nd rounders don't make the show.
Baertschi for a 2nd was a steal.
Olli was the best D man of the Memorial cup(11th all time in scoring, tied with Huberdeau) Had a fanstastic worlds

You're just a hater.

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You're getting ahead of yourself with that "UFA massive improvement over Vrbata".

Canucks will get one of

Eriksson(Wants to play with Sedins)
Lucic(Has always expressed wanting to play in Van)
Brouwer(Has openly said he wants to play in Van)
Okoposo(Could be swayed, reaching here)

4 hours ago, nux_win said:

I've watched the whole painful history since 1970 and so yes, I know.  But just because we have sucked in the past doesn't mean that it has to continue that way.  We need to build a winning culture on and off the ice.  Enough of this loser mentality and resigning ourselves to that is our lot in life.

I don't care how good Benning's diction is, I just want him to make good moves.  He's not 100% but who is?  I'm happy with most of his moves so far.  I don't think that he's an idiot at all.

I've got no problem with the current management's approach of win now and win later.  There are many ways to build a good team.

I don't really get the gist of your comment, you're saying we couldn't possibly tank but that we should anyway?  I don't agree.  Win baby win!  Or die trying.

No, what I'm saying is that if this team decided to tank for #1 this year we'd find a way to blow it.

Exactly which moves of Benning's do you like?

I'm probably the only Linden Vey fan in existence so I have no problems with that move, but the rest?

Anyway you slice it the Shinkaruk deal sucks, there is just no way to put a positive spin on that and retain any credibility,

Gudbranson? The guy doesn't score, like almost zero offensive contribution, I'm all for the Dana Murzyn 2.0 concept but at what price? McCann was the only real hope we had coming down the middle, and while we are on that subject: Jake and Jarred did not belong here past 9 games and EVERYONE knew it, (McCann I can cut some slack, but he should have been sent back to Jr. anyway, even if we burned a ELC year, it was painful watching him out there, knowing what he could be and how this experience was destroying his confidence. I don't mind tossing around 2nds to get a good deal done, but this team had no business  dumping offensive talent, unless it's for more of the same. The Virtannen draft pick didn't sit well with me to begin with, you start with talent and move on from there, Virt is not a "guarenteed 20 goals" he may well end up a third line banger, and now we run screaming from offense again at this draft? Who exactly is going to score? Gudbranson? 

We have the Sedins, and I belive Linden Vey (Although his psyche is so shot due to family matters and fan/media negativity that he may never become what he could have been, a 60pt guy, and I guess he's as good as gone anyway) 

Now everyone is brock this and brock that.......sorry.....this guy is being hyped up way beyond his level due to the fact that he's all we have. But as experienced players know, the wingers are icing on the offensive cake, you have to build from center ice out.

That last time we had a GM who didn't know that, ya know what happened? NOTHING! That was good ol' build-from-the-goal-out-Nonuts, whose endless parade of plugs and neutral zone trap bored us out of our seats. It wasn't until he told Aquaman that Fabian Bruntrum was going to save the team, that he found himself job-less. Never would I have thought my faith in trev could be shaken this badly, but the vision he sold us on, "Canucks Hockey: Recklace offensive enytertaining high risk high reward" seems like more of a joke by the day,

Unless the goal is to build the NJ devils 95' (A team that should have been stripped of thier cup title) then I don't get it.

Archived