The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Candella | D

thejazz97

3 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

What the heck happened to this guy was expecting a point producer maybe a two way threat did he get hurt and played through it?

Some prospects just don't pan out, it currently looks like candella might be one of those. I think we've been spoiled with how well benning has drafted in the later rounds. Gaudette, Tryamkin, Abols, Mckenzie, Lockwood etc. Not a surprise one or two prospects flop.

• 5 months later...

Bulldogs trade Cole Candella to Sudbury:

The Hamilton Bulldogs have announced that defenseman Cole Candella has been traded to the Sudbury Wolves in exchange for draft picks.

In return the Bulldogs receive a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection, a 3rd round pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection and a Conditional 3rd round pick in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection.

http://hamiltonbulldogs.com/article/bulldogs-trade-cole-candella-to-Sudbury

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This should be good for Candella.  Bulldogs were positioned to be a strong team but crowded on the blueline.  He should play more minutes in more situations with the Wolves than with the Bulldogs. 

Going to a team on the rise and gets experience with a coach who's a veteran ex-NHL'er in Stillman. 

Wolves are projected to be quite improved from last year with a lot of returning scoring up front. 

39 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That's actually an impressive return for what he is.

I was thinking the same.

However, after reading the following (from Sudbury's VP/GM), I'm thinking Candella might have more value than we assumed. At least at the OHL level. Whether or not that translates as a prospect and professional is hard to say. But it's still nice to see him being touted as "one of the top 19-year-old d-men" in the OHL:

“Cole is a player who was highly sought after as he is expected to be one of the top 19-year-old d-men in the league this season and he will have an immediate impact on the backend,” said Rob Papineau, VP of Hockey Operations and General Manager. “He is an excellent skater and a strong puck moving defencemen who has a great shot. He is an NHL drafted player and we are very happy to add Cole and his experience to our hockey team.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/09/20/canucks-prospect-cole-candella-dealt-to-sunbury-wolves/

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see Candella is having a strong start. Hopefully he keeps it up.

He's one of those "forgotten prospects" that I feel like I probably moved away from too early. I really liked the pick but had higher expectations for his D+1 than what he achieved. And I was guilty of writing him off.

But seeing the price given up to acquire him and the comments made about him being seen as one of the premiere 19-year-olds in the OHL gives me some faith that Candella still has upside and may very well pan out as a player. His start only adds more support to such a view.

He may very well be the Lukas Jašek of our D prospects. A guy who had a lot of upside when drafted but then didn't really show the progression expected in his following season. But then things come around and he all of a sudden starts showing the kind of promise that was expected. Obviously most people know that I remained pretty faithful to Jašek (as my hobby has been following his progress), but maybe Candella also deserved some similar attention?

It would be a great thing if a few of our "forgotten prospects" started rounding into form as guys with legitimate NHL potential. Especially if the "darlings" of our prospect pool also pan out. We've already built a very strong group of young players in the system. Adding a little "found money" to this mix would be some fine gravy on top indeed. :) 

With Cederholm, Sautner, and Stewart's contracts coming off the books after this season -- there's a chance he gets an entry deal. However, if Carl Neill couldn't get an entry deal last season, I doubt Candella gets one this season. He's a dark horse for sure. I suspect he gets a contract if the Canucks lose out on some of the College UFA/CHL UFA sweepstakes that'll inevitably happen later this season.

That said, the change of scenary for Candella seems to have done him well and he's playing solid minutes with the Wolves. I hope he has a good season and gets a contract with the Nucks, but I hope that with all Canucks prospects.

21 minutes ago, Quantum said:

With Cederholm, Sautner, and Stewart's contracts coming off the books after this season -- there's a chance he gets an entry deal. However, if Carl Neill couldn't get an entry deal last season, I doubt Candella gets one this season. He's a dark horse for sure. I suspect he gets a contract if the Canucks lose out on some of the College UFA/CHL UFA sweepstakes that'll inevitably happen later this season.

That said, the change of scenary for Candella seems to have done him well and he's playing solid minutes with the Wolves. I hope he has a good season and gets a contract with the Nucks, but I hope that with all Canucks prospects.

Way to early in the season for predicting if he gets a contract or not this coming year.

Archived