The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Candella | D

thejazz97

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If I have one criticism of Benning, it's that he drafts players, and then brings in UFA's and doesn't let draft picks develop. I get it that the team has holes. 

I mean was Carl Neill and Tate Olsen so bad that we had to drop them? Couldn't we put in some of our prospects into the ECHL and see if they pan out?

At least put them in the ECHL for a season and see what you've got?

It's funny because that's what I like about benning. He's not afraid to part with prospects if they don't develop at a rate that he feels will get them to the Nhl. We're only allowed 50 contracts having a few open spots is more valuable than alot of people think. 

Those guys you were talking about pan out so rarely that it's not even worth the contract spot imo.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It's funny because that's what I like about benning. He's not afraid to part with prospects if they don't develop at a rate that he feels will get them to the Nhl. We're only allowed 50 contracts having a few open spots is more valuable than alot of people think. 

Those guys you were talking about pan out so rarely that it's not even worth the contract spot imo.

It's just we're so weak on RHD, you'd think a roster spot to try and get the guy to develop and see if he can make the jump would be worth at least a roster spot for a year. The team has been super patient with other prospects, it's like some do well in junior and when the junior career is over, well thanks, bye. I guess I'm just looking for rationale. I understand if the guy can't skate, or blows his assignments a lot, or is weak as tissue paper. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I understand if the guy can't skate

Wasn't that the issue with Carl Neill? He's playing Canadian college hockey now, which to me means two things: 1) No NHL or AHL clubs deemed him worthy of one of their 50 contracts, and 2) It doesn't bode well for his potential as an NHL prospect. Off the top of my head the only decent NHL player I can think of who played CIS hockey is Joel Ward.

The thing is, if Benning signed every single draft pick even if he thought they weren't any good, than there would be much less contract spaces for guys like mackewen, molino, chatfield, stecher, etc. I'd rather have it this way because Benning feels that some of these undrafted players have a better chance at making the nhl than some of his failed draft picks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for an update.

Candella is now at 27 points (3G 24A) in 50 games this season.

That production maybe seems modest, but it’s worth noting that Candella has spend much of this season as the 2nd or 3rd highest scorer (all skaters) in Sudbury’s lineup.

His 27 points is currently tied for 3rd (with Pilon) in scoring on their roster.

2nd place (Murray) has 28 points.

1st place (Lipanov) has 34 points (30 of them scored before getting traded to the Wolves).

Just a little context on what Candella’s scoring contributions mean for his team, relative to the other players on that roster.

Also, here’s a recent article on Cole:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2018/01/25/wolves-candella-key-on-d

While Cole Candella's speed and savvy with the puck will both be useful to the Sudbury Wolves down the stretch this season, the 19-year-old defenceman believes his role off ice will be just as important.

"I just want to be a good guy around the room and help the young guys develop," said Candella, prior to practice on Thursday. "That's one of the main reasons I'm here, to be a leader and kind of show these guys the ropes and how the league works. I think a lot of the young guys have been really good this year so far and I have learned some things from them, as well."

With a career-high 26 points in 44 games, Candella is tied for second among Sudbury scorers heading into a home-ice tilt against the Barrie Colts on Friday. Along with timely offence, Wolves head coach Cory Stillman and associate Jordan Smith have counted on the Vancouver Canucks draft pick to play big minutes while veteran blueliners such as Kyle Rhodes and the recently-traded Reagan O'Grady missed significant time due to injury.

Candella believes that playing such a prominent role has only helped the Mississauga, Ont. native to improve since he was acquired in a pre-season trade with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

"I have sat down with Cory a couple of times and Smitty and we have discussed the things I need to work on in my game," Candella said. "Some of them are small things, but you're always learning and there's not a day that you're not going to learn something new. And coming into this team, different systems, different way we play the power play, it has been getting used to that stuff, but I think most teams in this league play pretty similar, so it wasn't too big of an adjustment.

"As an individual and as a team, I think we have come a really long way and I think there's still more we can do and we're going to do, as the season continues."

Stillman figures Candella will be a key piece if Sudbury is to finish strong this season.

"We are going to rely on Cole, and we have," Stillman said. "He's a guy who has been able to play five on five, he's on our power play, he's killing penalties, he's taking up big minutes and for Cole, what we've seen is his consistency. He's getting better every game and he has been the difference in games for us. As a 19-year-old defenceman, I'm expecting that out of him."

While Candella has not scored since mid-November, he does have 10 assists since and readily joins the rush when an opportunity presents itself.

"He's got great feet, he skates well and when he goes back for the puck, he breaks it out quickly," Stillman said. "And as a group we're like, hey, when there's an opportunity there, jump in the rush, let's have a second wave, and the nights when do that, for all six of the defencemen, when they're in that second wave, we create more havoc and we usually score more goals."

"For Cole, the biggest thing is to keep things simple, make a good first pass," added associate coach Smith. "His best assets are his legs and his skating and when he's combining all of those things, being engaged and involved in hockey games, he can be a real difference-maker for us. It's just staying focused through that process."

By trading forwards Dmitry Sokolov to Barrie, Michael Pezzetta to Sarnia and Troy Lajeunesse to Erie, as well as defenceman Reagan O'Grady to Mississauga and goalie Mario Culina to Kitchener earlier this month, the Wolves appeared to be shifting their focus to next season. But Candella still has his sights set on a playoff spot.

"I'm working towards a contract right now, so that would be something great for me to get, but other than that, making playoffs is the big thing for me," he said. "I think our team can do it, I think we have the players to do it, and the willpower, so hopefully, we start stringing some wins together and get ourselves into a playoff spot."

He's pleased with the progress of Sudbury's rookie rearguards, such as frequent partner Emmett Serensits, one of few picks in the 2017 U18 draft to stick in the OHL, and Liam Ross, a fourth-rounder in last year's OHL Priority Selection.

"From the start to now, they have got a lot better," Candella said. "They were good players coming into the league, but now they understand how the OHL works. It's a tough league to play in, every night is going to be a battle and they're learning how to be more efficient with their minutes, where the right play is and, if they have an opportunity to jump in, I have seen them do that a little bit more. It's knowing who you're out against, as well, and I think they have started to realize when they're out against top lines, to know what they're doing on the ice and how to defend them."

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Candella with a goal tonight. Now up to 28 points (4G 24A) in 51 games.

EDIT: hopefully @-Vintage Canuck- will come by and post Ryan Biech's gif of the goal. Can't manage to embed tweets from my current device (and my batteries be dying' left and right on the others).

kkkkk.gif

I think the article I posted earlier was a little long to read inside a post, so I’m just going to pull out some of the “greatest hits” (especially in terms of getting a bit of a scouting report and a good feel for what his coaches think of Candella):

"We are going to rely on Cole, and we have," Stillman said. "He's a guy who has been able to play five on five, he's on our power play, he's killing penalties, he's taking up big minutes and for Cole, what we've seen is his consistency. He's getting better every game and he has been the difference in games for us. As a 19-year-old defenceman, I'm expecting that out of him."

"He's got great feet, he skates well and when he goes back for the puck, he breaks it out quickly," Stillman said. "And as a group we're like, hey, when there's an opportunity there, jump in the rush, let's have a second wave, and the nights when do that, for all six of the defencemen, when they're in that second wave, we create more havoc and we usually score more goals."

"For Cole, the biggest thing is to keep things simple, make a good first pass," added associate coach Smith. "His best assets are his legs and his skating and when he's combining all of those things, being engaged and involved in hockey games, he can be a real difference-maker for us. It's just staying focused through that process."

And I also really liked reading this quote from Candella:

"I'm working towards a contract right now, so that would be something great for me to get, but other than that, making playoffs is the big thing for me,"

Some people prefer to read about junior players being 100% focused on their season, but I like that Cole is thinking about earning a contract from Vancouver, in addition to making the playoffs and helping his team win.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, given the Canucks have 15 games remaining and less than a month until the end of the season, it must be time for Canucks Army’s MIDTERM prospects rankings. Slackers! 

Candella checks in at #17.

Here’s hoping they can complete these “midterm” rankings before the season is over.

Here’s the link: 

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/08/canucksarmy-2018-mid-term-prospect-ranking-17-cole-candella/

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Candella breaks his 10 game pointless streak and scores his 5th goal of the season. 

Now has 31 points (5G 26A) in 63 games.

Anyone know how he's played this season?

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't mind seeing them sign Candella, depending on who management envisions being in Utica next year. I could see him being passed over if the Canucks are eyeing some college UFAs on defense, or if they want to get Brassard onto the Comets next year given the season he's had. No sense using too many ELCs on middling defense prospects in the same age group, or you inevitably end up with a couple guys like Cederholm and Stewart who just get buried and count towards your contract limit for three years. Although having that skating ability already makes him a better depth option in Utica next season than guys they used this year like Cederholm and Stewart.

Don't think he'd be able to crack the current defense corps down there on an ATO but he could practice with the team and maybe sneak into a game or two on one of the remaining 3-in-3 weekends.

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Wouldn't mind seeing them sign Candella, depending on who management envisions being in Utica next year. I could see him being passed over if the Canucks are eyeing some college UFAs on defense, or if they want to get Brassard onto the Comets next year given the season he's had. No sense using too many ELCs on middling defense prospects in the same age group, or you inevitably end up with a couple guys like Cederholm and Stewart who just get buried and count towards your contract limit for three years. Although having that skating ability already makes him a better depth option in Utica next season than guys they used this year like Cederholm and Stewart.

Don't think he'd be able to crack the current defense corps down there on an ATO but he could practice with the team and maybe sneak into a game or two on one of the remaining 3-in-3 weekends.

Technically the Canucks hold Brassard's rights until June 2019, so Brassard shouldn't factor into a decision to sign Candella now. If anything, I expect Candella to be signed before June 1st (when we lose Candella's rights) and then sign Brassard in the summer so that both can contribute to Utica next year.

And as you said, Cederholm and Stewart will be off the books, so there'll be room for the two of them. Brassard getting an ATO makes the most sense if they want to get him into games with Utica this year.

Archived