The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Candella | D

thejazz97

8 hours ago, Ryanstorm said:

Another left handed D? Come on... we're already stacked with them. Edler, Hamhuis, Hutton, Nikta the tree, Sbisas Pizza. and drafting Ollie in the 1st. could of traded the pick. lol

If he makes the NHL, it will probably be 3-4 years from now. Hamhuis will definitely be gone, Edler might be gone, Sbisa probably gone... not to mention that it would be ludcirous to be really high on a mid-round pick only to turn away from him because of what hand he is.

9 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

After the last Cole we drafted, I was hoping we stay away from any Cole for a few years but it is what it is.

Some dude named Stank concerned about someone named Cole.

Personally,  I don't need to learn the second time - I'd stay away from the first Stank.

12 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

After the last Cole we drafted, I was hoping we stay away from any Cole for a few years but it is what it is.

Ok Jared McCann, just because you don't like Cassels doesn't mean Candella is automatically bad. Also, what's up with parents and naming their kid Cole when their last name starts with a C.

10 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I like this pick. A lot of room for his game to grow, I'm excited to see what he can do over a full season if he can stay healthy. I just hope Hamilton can turn things around and become a playoff team again... Matthew Strome developing could help with that.

Something to keep in mind is that they were the youngest team in the OHL after the overage trade dealing.  The team has invested a large chunk in Scott Nichol to monitor off season (and regular season) fitness. Bet on them surprising the league next year.

2 hours ago, rrestraint said:

Hey Sid, thanks for sharing the blog. You guys are really going to be won over by Candella. Kid has a passion for the game, and is great off the ice too. Good sense of humour.

Thanks for all the great content on the blog! And I think you're right about Candella (and how much we're going to like him). Very happy with this pick. :)

On 6/26/2016 at 0:12 AM, TheRussianRocket. said:

One hard shot. Moves very good and has some puck moving skills. He also plays on a very bad team in the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Just some quotes From Candella, sounds like he knows he has some tough work ahead of him. He could end up being a great steal for a 5th rounder. Looking forward to watching his progress

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6741485--oh-my-god-i-did-get-drafted-canucks-call-up-hamilton-bulldogs-cole-candella/

Cole Candella was watching the NHL Draft at home in Mississauga Saturday when the phone rang.

It was his grandpa, Dan, calling from Buffalo — the only member of the family who hadn't been too nervous to make the trip.

Candella's dad, Dean, answered, and Dan told him Cole had been drafted by Vancouver.

What no one realized at the time is there was a broadcast delay. Dean told Dan point-blank he was wrong.

"Then I got a call from my agent," said Candella, a defenceman for the Hamilton Bulldogs of the OHL. And then — finally — he saw his name flash across the screen.

"I was like, 'Oh my God. I did get drafted,'" he said. "I was so happy and so relieved just to see it up on the TV. It was a great moment for me and my family."

Candella has little time to celebrate with Vancouver's development camp getting underway Thursday. And, as he put it, there's work to be done between now and then.

"I have to be ready for that," he said. "You've made an impression already and they like you, they picked you, but that's not the hard part. The hard part is making such a big impact at camp that they want to sign you, so that's what I'm going for."

Archived