The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Candella | D

thejazz97

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Cole Candella with 1 assist today (was a -5, ouch). He now has 8 points (1 goal, 7 assists) in 10 games.

Yeah, that -5 hurts. On the ice for every goal against. Not that it really speaks to his individual performance. More the fact that he plays big minutes and key matchups. 

The 8 points in 10 GP is great production though and reason for optimism for his potential as a prospect. He remains top-10 in points and points/game among OHL defensemen with >1 GP.

34 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

What are this kids chances of making the nhl?

I honestly think he could make it, definitely going to be some time before he makes it but I think he could be like Hutton, I say he comes pro next year if he keeps working on his defensive play, he can put up points no problem but needs to work on how fast he reads the game defensively I think 

11 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

I honestly think he could make it, definitely going to be some time before he makes it but I think he could be like Hutton, I say he comes pro next year if he keeps working on his defensive play, he can put up points no problem but needs to work on how fast he reads the game defensively I think 

Agreed. I think if Candella maintains his offensive production and continues to mature his overall game, he should earn a contract and could start playing pro as early as next season (although an overager year in the OHL wouldn't hurt his development).

If I was going to put odds on it, I'd say it's around 50/50 that he plays some amount of games in the NHL and maybe a 15-20% chance he reaches 200+ game status.

Those numbers are completely unscientific. I suspect actual stats models would peg him at lesser odds, mostly because of his low D+1 scoring.

But based on the comments from OHL coaches (who see him as a top level D in their league), the value expressed in his trade return, his ability to hang around the top-15 in Dman scoring this season, his size, and the strength of his overall game, I think he probably deserves better odds than the models might return based solely on his scoring numbers and statistical progression.

I also think, should he not earn a contract, and he goes back into the draft, he'd be considered one of the premiere re-entries and would very likely be selected by another team (or otherwise earn a contract as an invite and FA signee).

But I'm hoping he gets signed by the Canucks after completing a successful D+2 season.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed. I think if Candella maintains his offensive production and continues to mature his overall game, he should earn a contract and could start playing pro as early as next season (although an overager year in the OHL wouldn't hurt his development).

Those numbers are completely unscientific. I suspect actual stats models would peg him at lesser odds, mostly because of his low D+1 scoring.

But I'm hoping he gets signed by the Canucks after completing a successful D+2 season.

I mean his Hamilton Bulldogs team last year was absolutely atrocious. He had a very good draft year (20 points in 37 gps) and had he played a full season, I'm sure he would have been maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.

He's on a better team this year and he's doing some pretty good things. Whoever came up with the Hutton comparison is bang on. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derp... said:

Anyone think he will get a contract?

We havnt signed a lot of guys who have been middle of the pack prospects. 

He seems like hes taken a step forward this year though

Depends if JB finds anymore Jalen Chatfields or Philip Holms as FA signings. One guy I am interested to see if he can translate his game to the NHL is undradted puckmoving offensive Dman from the SHL Joel Persson. He plays in Vaxjo with Elias Pettersson this season (from highlights the 2 seems to have great chemistry). He has 22 pts in 26 GP this season in the SHL, some very solid numbers. Only downside is that he isn't very big. Only 5'11" and at 170 pounds, size could be an issue for him in the NHL. Would like to see him brought in and spend a year in the AHL before trying and see if he can make the jump to the NHL.

On 2017-12-10 at 11:38 PM, ruilin96 said:

Depends if JB finds anymore Jalen Chatfields or Philip Holms as FA signings. One guy I am interested to see if he can translate his game to the NHL is undradted puckmoving offensive Dman from the SHL Joel Persson. He plays in Vaxjo with Elias Pettersson this season (from highlights the 2 seems to have great chemistry). He has 22 pts in 26 GP this season in the SHL, some very solid numbers. Only downside is that he isn't very big. Only 5'11" and at 170 pounds, size could be an issue for him in the NHL. Would like to see him brought in and spend a year in the AHL before trying and see if he can make the jump to the NHL.

If I have one criticism of Benning, it's that he drafts players, and then brings in UFA's and doesn't let draft picks develop. I get it that the team has holes. 

I mean was Carl Neill and Tate Olsen so bad that we had to drop them? Couldn't we put in some of our prospects into the ECHL and see if they pan out?

At least put them in the ECHL for a season and see what you've got?

Archived