The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jakob Stukel | LW

thejazz97

Cool name. 

Picks are long shots at this stage. I have no problem taking some local talent here. The motivation of playing for his hometown team might be enough for him to exceed expectations. If not, oh well it's par for the course.

1 minute ago, Jam126 said:

Man, he really set off when he got traded to the Hitmen.

But,  but,  but the Hitmen don't know how to handle prospects......can't send our guys there,  must demand he be traded to KEL^_^!

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Cool name. 

Picks are long shots at this stage. I have no problem taking some local talent here. The motivation of playing for his hometown team might be enough for him to exceed expectations. If not, oh well it's par for the course.

This pick is better than the Lockwood pick.

Here is your Shinkaruk replacement for those who miss him.  Similar strengths and weaknesses without the dangle. 

Good shot decent passer with some speed. Defensively needs work and doesn't play a physical game.  Sounds like he replaces "Get Shinky with it"

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea, just wait until the u20's and I think people will be having a different tone.

We'll see, I'm interested to find out.  You can't expect a guy to stand out as a 3rd rounder, obviously he's a project, but he looks like he has the skill set.  Can he bulk up and put it all together?  Only time will tell

1 minute ago, mpt said:

We'll see, I'm interested to find out.  You can't expect a guy to stand out as a 3rd rounder, obviously he's a project, but he looks like he has the skill set.  Can he bulk up and put it all together?  Only time will tell

For sure. I just think players with his skill set tend to do well in those tournaments.

The fact that Michigan recruited him says alot. They have their own scouts with a good eye for talent, and clearly see something in him.

35 minutes ago, suitup said:

Is he an overager?

Not an "overager" by strict definition but he wasn't drafted in his first year of eligibility. Struggled with injury and rehab (ACL tear IIRC) in 2014-15. Last season started slow but really picked up pace after traded.

Bill Placzek scouting report:

"Developing player with elite speed and feet. Gets the jump on defenders and shows up in scoring areas much quicker than they expect. Finds the soft spots surprises them with his scoring chances. Needs time to develop, but you can’t teach speed."

Hockey Writers profile:

"Stukel is deadly when he’s left alone anywhere near the net with the puck. He’s blessed with a really quick, accurate shot, and he can get it off from some really bad angles. He’s also pretty effective at puck distribution, and the attention he gets from opposition defenders often opens up his linemates for scoring opportunities. Stukel thrives when he gets time and space to operate, and his offensive production is heavily skewed towards his power-play time.

For all his offensive bluster, Stukel isn’t a complete player. He occasionally gets out-muscled in corner battles, his play away from the puck is prone to lapses, and his game-to-game consistency isn’t great. (Sometimes he’ll score multiple points in consecutive games, sometimes he’ll go stone cold for several games.)

But very few players in the WHL are as dangerous with the puck as Stukel, and that should be enough to get him drafted by some NHL club."

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For sure. I just think players with his skill set tend to do well in those tournaments.

The fact that Michigan recruited him says alot. They have their own scouts with a good eye for talent, and clearly see something in him.

The good thing about those tournaments though, is you can really see the skill set of those type of players, if you have the skills you have the skills, the question is can you use those skills among men.  If you don't have it, you don't have it and there's no hope

Certainly speed and a cool name seem to stand out. Reading a bit on him seems like if he doesn't fit in as a top 6 eventually he could be effective as a top 9 player using his speed and finding opportunities to contribute.

Archived