The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jakob Stukel | LW

thejazz97

On 7/12/2017 at 5:37 AM, guntrix said:

I think that's the problem about Stukel. 

He gets by mostly on speed but doesn't process the game well enough and has below-average skill. He's usually trying the same moves when he's not trying to burn by defenders with pure speed. When he's faced with semi-decent defenders, he struggles to score. 

Cant really complain about the pick though since he's a sixth rounder. Him making the AHL in a permanent top 6 role would be a win in my books. 

Sounds like he has the tools to be a good energy line player. Maybe with more experience he will grow into more of a scoring role., much like Jannik Hansen did.

11 hours ago, guntrix said:

Because he's a 23 year-old forward on the rise with excellent defensive numbers last season. Vegas saw more value in Sbisa but that doesn't mean the other 29 NHL teams would see value in picking him up for free.

Exactly! Gaunce is going into his 2nd NHL season with a solid effort last year. He will be playing for a coach that had him for 2 years in Utica. He has size, a wicked wrister and as you said can read the play and cover on the back check. There is no way I want to risk losing him. The Canucks are rebuilding and have no pressure other than development and assessing. Just because Vegas did not take him means nothing as the currency of a vet defenceman should certainly out weigh a rookie winger.   

On 7/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, Salmonberries said:

They selected Sbisa with the intention of trading him but that hasn't happened yet. He way well end up in the opening night lineup for Vegas it appears. The contract might be a barrier to movement there.

Well, it's one of those things where you can't predict the future. However, it still doesn't mean Gaunce doesn't have value as well. Vegas had to pick someone. For all we know, they could have flipped a coin on who they picked. There were rumours going around actually that we were the last team they looked at and their pick could have been based on the number of forwards and defense they needed to pick. Speculation of course, but interesting nevertheless in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not sure if there are much plans for him or Brett McKenzie. They would have to sign them before June this year if I am correct, and not sure they would want to use a contract space for either one of them.

Yeah I am not sold on either guy tbh Stukel has the speed but his hands and his brain don't seem to be able to keep up. 

Archived