The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jakob Stukel | LW

thejazz97

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Not common, but not out of the ordinary. Datsyuk was one such case. Adam Brooks of the Regina Pats (represent!) was drafted by the Leafs in the 3rd round.

Thanks. Just trying to gauge how often it happens throughout the league to see if it played a factor in why he went in the 7th round. I figured if most teams don't really pay attention to overagers at the draft, Benning might have just waited knowing he could get him later despite maybe having him ranked above some of our earlier draft picks.

From everything I've read on our picks round 3-7, this guy seems to have the most promise.

Looks like a gem. His highlights are fantastic showing some real NHL quality plays. His speed, and deadliness around the net are promising. All his goals are from 10 feet of the net. He looks pretty tenacious can't believe JB picked him up in the 7th round. Man if these guys reach their potential JB is building one helluva tenacious team.

I am actually surprised more posters aren't familiar with him already since he played a lot with the Giants. 

I mean, I know they were crap and the stands were half full but someone was in the building. I was there. He was noticeable on many nights. 

34 minutes ago, theminister said:

I am actually surprised more posters aren't familiar with him already since he played a lot with the Giants

I mean, I know they were crap and the stands were half full but someone was in the building. I was there. He was noticeable on many nights. 

As someone who lives outside of BC, what is the cause of the Giants woes?

13 hours ago, theminister said:

I am actually surprised more posters aren't familiar with him already since he played a lot with the Giants. 

12 hours ago, Qwags said:

As someone who lives outside of BC, what is the cause of the Giants woes?

Stukel was injured, then struggled then traded. He only hit off when he was traded away so change of scenery was pretty essential.

for the Giants, I don't pay much attention to their games but benson was injured for most of the year which doesn't help. Maybe the looming arena change to Langley also affected them from not focusing 100%

Not sure if it's been posted already but I just learned (from a poster on another board) that Stukel not only dealt with the serious knee injury (at age 16) but also a broken thumb in 2014-15 (EDIT: :P actually I did know about the broken thumb but somehow forgot about it. Weird. I think I even posted about it a while back. I must be getting old).

“Jakob Stukel is a real quality, speedy, skilled guy that can score,” said Moore. “He’s had some injury issues through his Western League career. He blew his knee out at 16, broke a thumb last year, but our guys were very, very high on him since he was 14 years old, so I don’t think he’s seen the best of his hockey days yet and we’re excited to have him join our club.”

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/two-big-trade-deals-bring-fresh-faces-to-hitmen

It will be very interesting to see what kind of numbers he can post in 2016-17, especially if he can enjoy a full season uninterrupted by injury or trade. If this kid can stay healthy and become a bit more consistent (he's been pretty streaky at times), he might just put-up some monster totals next season.

On 7/13/2016 at 1:19 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure if it's been posted already but I just learned (from a poster on another board) that Stukel not only dealt with the serious knee injury (at age 16) but also a broken thumb in 2014-15 (EDIT: :P actually I did know about the broken thumb but somehow forgot about it. Weird. I think I even posted about it a while back. I must be getting old).

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/two-big-trade-deals-bring-fresh-faces-to-hitmen

It will be very interesting to see what kind of numbers he can post in 2016-17, especially if he can enjoy a full season uninterrupted by injury or trade. If this kid can stay healthy and become a bit more consistent (he's been pretty streaky at times), he might just put-up some monster totals next season.

In 2014-15, as a draft-eligible 18-year-old, Jakob Stukel had just 5 goals and 16 points with the Vancouver Giants. He started the 2015-16 season slowly, with 4 points in 12 games. He was traded to the Calgary Hitmen on October 27, and racked up 34 goals and 56 points in the remainder of the season and was one of the Hitmen’s most potent offensive weapons.

It’s amazing what a change of scenery can do for somebody, eh?

Stukel is deadly when he’s left alone anywhere near the net with the puck. He’s blessed with a really quick, accurate shot, and he can get it off from some really bad angles. He’s also pretty effective at puck distribution, and the attention he gets from opposition defenders often opens up his linemates for scoring opportunities. Stukel thrives when he gets time and space to operate, and his offensive production is heavily skewed towards his power-play time.

http://thehockeywriters.com/jakob-stukel-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

So injuries and a crap Giants team led to his draft year slide? Lucky us perhaps?

@TheLiveWire

Archived