The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jakob Stukel | LW

thejazz97

On July 7, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Bigturk8 said:

Thanks. Just trying to gauge how often it happens throughout the league to see if it played a factor in why he went in the 7th round. I figured if most teams don't really pay attention to overagers at the draft, Benning might have just waited knowing he could get him later despite maybe having him ranked above some of our earlier draft picks.

From everything I've read on our picks round 3-7, this guy seems to have the most promise.

Don't sleep on Candella and Lockwood.

But I agree Stukel just looks the most promising.

• 1 month later...

Wow. He skates like the wind. He's so fast on the transition, and seems to only have one speed once he gets the puck and that's full speed ahead. It must be a nightmare defending against him. He has a sweet pair of mitts too, which allows him to use his 2nd best attribute, his vision to read the play and exploit passing lanes and get open in the soft spots on the ice. Jakob has an all around package of tools. He has the separating skill which is his skating and speed and his hands don't let him down at high speeds either. He reads and reacts well to and can make plays quickly in order to exploit gaps. He has very quick first three strides and hits high speeds in 5 or 6 strides and only continues to get faster after that. His pivoting and edge work seems solid as well, and his wider skating stance makes it harder for defenders to knock him down. It wouldn't be far fetched to say that Stukel has high end hockey sense and with his all around set of tools with the right development and refinement of his all around game he could be a very impactful top 6 forward. Baring anymore injuries Stukel has the chance of becoming an elite and potent scorer for the Canucks. 

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Next year. He's a 1997-born 19 year old so his first season of AHL eligibility is 2017-18.

Too bad for us, but it is probably best that he get some time in the O anyway as I guess he has had some injury problems.  Might be one of those guys that makes Benning look smart.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched some of goals he's scored with the links y'all have sent and I must say he's going be one hell of a player for our franchise. He might need the first season to adjust to NA play in Utica but if he does well he might've worked himself into a bottom 6 spot if not top 6. Promising player alongside Lockwood and Boeser.

26 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Watched some of goals he's scored with the links y'all have sent and I must say he's going be one hell of a player for our franchise. He might need the first season to adjust to NA play in Utica but if he does well he might've worked himself into a bottom 6 spot if not top 6. Promising player alongside Lockwood and Boeser.

Not sure he needs to adjust to NA as he's a BC boy from Surrey and he's played Jr with the Giants and currently the Calgary Hitmen. 

Archived