-Vintage Canuck-

RW   |   5'11"   |   172 lbs

Shoots | Right

Born | 1998-10-16

Birthplace | Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Draft | 2016 Round 3 #64 Overall by Vancouver Canucks

ICct6nL.jpg

Scouting report (via Hockey Prospectus):

Lockwood is a solid-average skater. He is a good penalty killer with a decent wall game. Although well undersized, he is generally a pretty physical player and a frequent hitter. Committed to the University of Michigan, he has low upside, but plays a coach friendly game.

Stats:

Highlights:

• Thanks 1

The extreme ceiling for Lockwood would be a player like Carl Hagelin

What a bunch of crap. He hasn't even played a game of college hockey yet and they're projecting his absolute best will be a Carl Hagelin type player?

I really hope he proves these doubters wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

What a bunch of crap. He hasn't even played a game of college hockey yet and they're projecting his absolute best will be a Carl Hagelin type player?

I don't see anything wrong with a Hagelin ceiling for a 3rd rounder who was ranked a bit lower. Hagelin is a top 6 forward and recently had a great season, pacing for 60 points in his games with Pittsburgh as well as a great playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a great kid

-Was extremely honored to be drafted by Vancouver

-Likes the organization

-He believed he would get drafted somewhere around the 3rd or 4th round.

-Says he's a player that loves to get in on the forecheck

-Says his skating and his speed stands out in his game, tenacious.

-Loves to play physical, makes it easier on the team by constantly attacking the puck carrier and causing havoc

-Plays a smart, offensive game

-Grew up in Michigan, was a no brainer for him to commit to University of Michigan.

I like it that he's not afraid to shy away from the physical side of the game despite his size (5'11, 182lbs). He's a hard worker, smart, plays an offensive game, great skater, and tenacious. Screams a Brendan Gallagher imo. Just not douche. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

I don't see anything wrong with a Hagelin ceiling for a 3rd rounder who was ranked a bit lower. Hagelin is a top 6 forward and recently had a great season, pacing for 60 points in his games with Pittsburgh as well as a great playoffs.

I just find it ridiculous to put a ceiling on a guy that was just drafted, and hasn't had a real chance to prove himself yet.

And where do they get Hagelin from? Other than going to Michigan I don't really see the similarities. Kind of pulling that one out of nowhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I just find it ridiculous to put a ceiling on a guy that was just drafted, and hasn't had a real chance to prove himself yet.

And where do they get Hagelin from? Other than going to Michigan I don't really see the similarities. Kind of pulling that one out of nowhere.

Well, realistically there has to be some form of ceiling on the guy...he's not gonna become the next Jagr.

These guys get paid to make analyses, they need to make some form of firm stance/predictions on players. It wouldn't be very effective sports journalism if they just said "well, time will tell" with prospects (even though that's the truth). I'd like to read the prospect profile on Duncan Keith, see where folks thought his ceiling would be.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What do you want the analysts to say? I think they should compare him with someone, they should try to describe him as a player and how he could potentially be useful for an NHL team. That could be difficult without putting a ceiling and player comparison.  

And the Hagelin comparison is understandable? Lookwood looks pretty fast, not the best hands but able to make some decent plays and he has lots of energy on the forecheck.  

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Isn't why it's called a "ceiling"?  Once he proves himself, then it's not a ceiling anymore, it's a fact, it's actual level of play?  He's somewhat of a surprised 3rd rounder, you can't expect him to have Jonathan Toews ceiling, otherwise he would have gone much sooner.

Weird on the other threads, but here's my post from the Lockwood one:

Interesting, not that I know a lot about any players past the 1st round, but seems like a tenacious, quick, highly skilled player. Looking at some of those highlights I'd think more skilled than his points totals suggest, but I'll have to start watching more to see if that's a vision thing or something else.

• Upvote 1

Lockwood is a complete unknown to me.. so I can't really comment too much on him. Personally, I was hoping we would grab one of Dineen, Bitten or Greenway, but I can live with this pick.

Going the college will definitely benefit him. He will need to bulk up and Michigan is a great place to do that. Hopefully in 3ish years he'll be ready to step into the AHL. 

41 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Weird on the other threads, but here's my post from the Lockwood one:

I don't know about anyone else, but from the clips he looked a lot like a Brendan Ghallger type.  If he played in the CHL, I would think he would have been involved in a lot of scraps, considering his style.  Call it high compete level, or a pain in the a$$ to play against; it's seems like this kid has it.  IMHAO, of course.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I agree with you on the fact that putting a ceiling this early on Lockwood is definitely premature. However, even if he did end up becoming as good as Hagelin, I'd call that a HUGE win. Skates like a speed demon, puck hound, can deke like a top 6 player, incredible shot, and puts up about 30-40 points a season. Definitely a huge win as a 3rd round pick. 

Anyways, I do see a Gallagher type of player in him. He's clearly much more skilled than the points he put up this past season. Really hope to see him go all Johnny Gaudreau in Michigan next year. 

Reposting from the other (closed) thread:

"Displays soft hands, quick moves and a persistent forecheck. Never stops flying around, and is difficult to get a bead on. Handles the puck very well at top speed, and can turn tight and separate from opponents. An under six footer with an average frame, he can be knocked of the puck, but is strong on his skates and the puck most of the time. A battler who plays fast with quick mitts."

2016 Combine: Anaerobic Fitness (Wingate) results: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/6/5/11861154/2016-nhl-scouting-combine-complete-fitness-testing-results

-Lockwood placed 4th in "mean power output" and 2nd in "peak power output."

Last Word on Sports: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/22/2016-nhl-draft-scouting-reports-86-90/

"#88 William Lockwood, Right Wing, US NTDP (USHL) 6’0″ 171 lbs

A second line player on the US NTDP, Lockwood scored 33 points in 51 games this season. He added seven points in seven games during the Under 18s. He will play NCAA hockey for the Michigan Wolverines next season.

Lockwood is an outstanding skater. He has a great first step, excellent acceleration, and elite top end speed. He uses that speed to create opportunities off the rush, taking defenders wide and going to the net. He can also use the defenceman as a screen and unless a quick wrist shot. Lockwood is a straight line player, who is not very creative with the puck. He could stand to work on his puck handling; as well as his vision and passing skills."

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1