The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

WTG,

Thanks for posting the shift by shift video. He looks like a high energy player who always has his feet moving. Needs a lot of polish but so does every prospect. The only player we have like him on the roster is Hansen. 

Wonder is Lockwood is familiar with the 'Honey Badger'. 

• Upvote 1

NP guys ;) Sorry about it only being 2 periods the stream kept freezing when I tried recording :-/

Anyway, I'll repost what I said about Lockwood on HF for those that aren't on HF

I really like Lockwood, I think he has a really high ceiling from what I watched.

He's a great stick handler and loves to dangle, he's got a really small stick which are fantastic for puck control, I think Guadreau and Mackinnon both use smaller sticks then usual, it hampers shot velocity but allows him to control the puck at really fast speed. Speaking of speed, the kids fast. Flat out flies out there, also loves to forecheck with a great stick. Lockwood's no perimeter player either, he loves going hard and crashing the net on the rush.

With Lockwood I think all of his skills complement each other very well. Lockwood's playstyle really work well with his skills, using his speed to crash the net or getting in on the forecheck, stick handling to control the puck while cycling. All this is why I think his ceiling is very high. If his skills all develop I think we might have a top 6 player. But with players you never know how he develops his skills. Let's hope we get lucky and he develops properly, one of these days one of these prospects have to work out for us.

That's my take.

On 2016-10-08 at 2:15 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

Heady stuff. Even though Michigan is turning over their roster after several key departures, it's still rare to see a freshman player (that wasn't a high draft pick) earn a first line role to start the season.

Many observers suggested drafting Lockwood at #64 (when he was ranked in the 100s) was a reach. Maybe Benning knew something they didn't? ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 2:51 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

WTG,

Thanks for posting the shift by shift video. He looks like a high energy player who always has his feet moving. Needs a lot of polish but so does every prospect. The only player we have like him on the roster is Hansen. 

Wonder is Lockwood is familiar with the 'Honey Badger'. 

I was going to say.

Honey Badger with better hands?

Lockwoods tools are definitely similar to Hansen, but saying he compares to Hansen is pretty broad. He definitively fore checks harder then Hansen, he's also more aggressive.

Speedy - Check

Gritty - Check

Non-stop forchecking - Check

Two-way forward - Check

I feel like Lockwood has more skill in his game then Hansen, and better hands. But you never know how these players develop. So far he's looking very good, his toolset is very intriguing and he is tracking incredibly well.

Lockwood is someone to really keep an eye out for. Might be a very good player for us. We've seen in the past college draftees in the later rounds become absolute gems.

One thing that really stands out in his game is his speed and his puck skills. 

11 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Wow 6 points in 5 games. Gaudette 9 points in 6 games. Boeser 12 points in 5 games. 

Insane production from our college draft picks! Those three, along with Demko and picking Stetcher up as a free agent - amazing work by our college/US junior scouts under Benning. 

I believe that has been Weisbrod?