The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

I mentioned Karlsson, Subban, etc. just to demonstrate the point that looking at giveaways in themselves don't tell you much about a defenceman's value.  It was therefore a mistake, in my view, for Benning to refer to Sbisa's low giveaway number out of context.

Part of Benning's responsibilities as GM also include P.R. FWIW. 

2 hours ago, Toews said:

Giveaways and takeaways are not reliable stats because the way they are recorded varies in different arenas. Hits and blocked shots have the same problem. Some arenas hand them out a little too liberally while some are far more stingier. I think these stats are somewhat useful to compare two players on the same team. Comparing two players on different teams especially in different conferences/division, these stats are simply not a good means to do so.

Edit:  I almost forgot to mention but there is a way to compare these stats between players playing in the same division. You only track these statistics for the away games. Provided that both players play in the same arenas for the same number of games, they are comparable and you remove the home arena inconsistency of recording stats.

The point I want to emphasize is that there is a fine line between useful statistics and bad statistics and without appropriate context and filtering of inconsistencies, all these statistics lose all meaning and lead people to incorrect conclusions. And often when incorrect conclusions are made, the anti-stats crowd comes out and uses it as evidence that hockey is a game that cannot be evaluated by stats and this is just patently untrue. Blame human error for when stats get misrepresented or taken out of context. I am guessing the actual NHL teams have far more sophisticated resources at hand for accounting of all these discrepancies. Seeing as advanced stats is still in its infancy, teams might even be sitting on some new statistics that we might not get to see for several years.

Great points. Completely agree. Taking a few examples of stats that are mis-used and using that as a basis for rejecting analysis in general is a big mistake. And some teams are doing interesting things, although we only hear about it indirectly. I once had an e-mail conversation with a guy who worked on analytics for Arizona on this point (and I know Arizona is not exactly a good team), It would actually be pretty easy to get some eager university or college students to go through game film and track various events -- providing a good base for statistics. One obvious thing to track is actual zone time and actual possession (instead of relying on shots as a proxy for possession or zone time) while each player is on the ice. STATHLETES tracks a lot of this kind of data, which they sell to teams, agents, etc. . 

36 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Great points. Completely agree. Taking a few examples of stats that are mis-used and using that as a basis for rejecting analysis in general is a big mistake.

But nobody is 'rejecting analytics'. We're rejecting poor use of analytics.

Analytics that substitute context with agenda and bias. 

Analytics are a perfectly useful tool when used appropriately, WITH context. 

On 2016-11-20 at 0:36 PM, Toews said:

Giveaways and takeaways are not reliable stats because the way they are recorded varies in different arenas. Hits and blocked shots have the same problem. Some arenas hand them out a little too liberally while some are far more stingier. I think these stats are somewhat useful to compare two players on the same team. Comparing two players on different teams especially in different conferences/division, these stats are simply not a good means to do so.

Edit:  I almost forgot to mention but there is a way to compare these stats between players playing in the same division. You only track these statistics for the away games. Provided that both players play in the same arenas for the same number of games, they are comparable and you remove the home arena inconsistency of recording stats.

The point I want to emphasize is that there is a fine line between useful statistics and bad statistics and without appropriate context and filtering of inconsistencies, all these statistics lose all meaning and lead people to incorrect conclusions. And often when incorrect conclusions are made, the anti-stats crowd comes out and uses it as evidence that hockey is a game that cannot be evaluated by stats and this is just patently untrue. Blame human error for when stats get misrepresented or taken out of context. I am guessing the actual NHL teams have far more sophisticated resources at hand for accounting of all these discrepancies. Seeing as advanced stats is still in its infancy, teams might even be sitting on some new statistics that we might not get to see for several years.

You're talking about data validation.  It's the basic requirement of being remotely sciencific.  This is why NHL teams are able to do solid analysis while the public gets a muddy picture at best.

Edited by WhoseTruckWasIt

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Virtanen? Shifted to top 6 LW like how he played in junior?

Thats where he belongs. Imagine him with Lockwood and our yet to be determined Playmaker. Speed to burn on either wing. 

Lockwood has the puck on a string. He can handle it at max speed too. Don't think he has even touched on his stick handling yet. Nice talent and excellent pick. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

So much to like about this boy.

Firstly although he is quick, decisive and slippery he never looks hurried. He makes the plays when HE wants to and doesn't let the D or the situation change that.

Secondly he is also quite physical for a comparatively small player. Twice he seemed to bounce bigger players off him.

Thirdly I love that he is unselfish and creates plenty of chances for his team mates.

Lastly he has imo anyway, great technique. There seems to be so much more importance put on technique in the US College system.

• Upvote 3