The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but Lockwood could play in Utica and get into his elc one year sooner, no?

as Rick noted, its not a simple decision. Dunno, he's not an elite guy so who knows what Jimbo throws his way. 

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Signing a PTO contract with Utica will not burn a year of his ELC. Signing with the Canucks would mean that he is ineligible to play for Utica in the playoffs this year. Tough decisions for everyone on this one.

Yep. Exactly.

Will will also want to weigh his NHL options. Can he make an NHL roster faster by signing with the Canucks this year? Or would it be more advantageous for him to play out his senior year at Michigan and get to pick his destination in August of 2020? How much competition is there for Will between now and then? Those are probably the questions The Lockwood Family are asking.

And honestly, looking at how the rookie wingers have been deployed in Utica could make Will second guess whether or not wants to play there next year or go to UFA after next season.

It's definitely a tough decision.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush...……….

as Jim McGill says he is not an elite prospect......

Seattle will be picking someone of closer NHL quality

I would take the risk...…..

Beside...you contact him, you offer a contract, and hopefully even if he decides to stay in College

He is flattered, and still signs later, and even if he doesn't at least you know you did your best

and you can move him.....

Either way......Jimbo should sign him now if possible

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is. But, since he's already 20 he'd burn a year off his ELC if he plays just 1 game, correct? that could be the deciding factor if Jim's willing to let him suit up for a game. 

Yeah, I believe 1 game with the Canucks would burn a year off his ELC and I am sure that is something the Canucks camp is taking into consideration vs the risk of not signing him and risk losing him to free agency next summer. A PTO offer with Utica may not be enough incentive to give up a possible captaincy with Michigan for his senior year. Personally, I would like the Canucks to sign him and burn the 1st year of his ELC but I don't know if they believe he is ready for NHL time or ever will be in their estimation. Number of contracts may also be a consideration moving forward but I think they have that under control.

• Upvote 1

The difference between signing now and playing and going back for senior year and signing elsewhere is two extra seasons before becomes full UFA as wouldn't be able to play any pro games this year or next.

Would like to see him up and with club.  Sign him, waive Schaller and let him see what Brock and Gaudette saw in their pro try-outs.  Or if he wants to go to the AHL can do that instead, they may even make the playoffs but unless we send Demko back Utica isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

The difference between signing now and playing and going back for senior year and signing elsewhere is two extra seasons before becomes full UFA as wouldn't be able to play any pro games this year or next.

Would like to see him up and with club.  Sign him, waive Schaller and let him see what Brock and Gaudette saw in their pro try-outs.  Or if he wants to go to the AHL can do that instead, they may even make the playoffs but unless we send Demko back Utica isn't going anywhere.

not possible

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Yeah, I believe 1 game with the Canucks would burn a year off his ELC and I am sure that is something the Canucks camp is taking into consideration vs the risk of not signing him and risk losing him to free agency next summer. A PTO offer with Utica may not be enough incentive to give up a possible captaincy with Michigan for his senior year. Personally, I would like the Canucks to sign him and burn the 1st year of his ELC but I don't know if they believe he is ready for NHL time or ever will be in their estimation. Number of contracts may also be a consideration moving forward but I think they have that under control.

NCAA guys are smart, they know what their options are. I'm sure that ELC year is on the table but in this case I could see Will choosing to return for his senior year. He can always sign with us after that if that looks good for him, or if he really has better options he can take one of those. 

Its not a mistake by anyone, its really all up to Will. He's not ready for the NHL and may think he can develop just as well in one more college year as he can in Utica, all depends on how he sees it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh well, looking more and more likely they will end up out of playoffs anyway.

At least all of our prospects and players will get a long summer to get ready for next year.

The canucks are getting healthy-ish, that will filter down to Utica and hopefully they can right the ship!

43 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

in other words he is going back to school for his forth year and to become a free agent.

Hope he doesn't do that but if he does, so be it - JB has repeatedly said he doesn't want guys here that don't want to be here.  I tend to agree with him.  The list of NCAA guys who exercised their 'draft doging' rights doesn't make for an all-star roster anyway so.....

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

NCAA guys are smart, they know what their options are. I'm sure that ELC year is on the table but in this case I could see Will choosing to return for his senior year. He can always sign with us after that if that looks good for him, or if he really has better options he can take one of those. 

Its not a mistake by anyone, its really all up to Will. He's not ready for the NHL and may think he can develop just as well in one more college year as he can in Utica, all depends on how he sees it. 

If he doesn't believe he makes the NHL this year (which would be a long shot at RW) he is likely better off in the NCAA. He can play a leadership role, work on his game and further his education.  As mentioned these kids are smart and understand there is life after hockey - rather early especially if they don't stick in the NHL.      

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lockwood has a lot of possibilities to consider;

1) Canucks are a bottom end team which gives him a real opportunity to get to the NHL. Waiting runs the risk of the talent pool overcoming his opportunity.

2) A degree is a real goal, especially if the NHL doesn't work out. He can finish his degree over the next few years by picking up courses as needed. The NHL op might fade quickly.

3) There is a sizable collegiate contingency already with the Canucks. Some he knows personally. They talk.

4) As most hockey players realize your next shift might be your last. Lockwood is more aware than most considering his injury history.

5) A NHL contract is a payday that should be considered.

6) Canucks willingness to offer a contract is a vote of confidence that most players appreciate.

7) Lockwood spending another year in college for development is questionable IMHO. My limited knowledge of his game tells me he is ready for pro. 

Hoping he signs as he has a real chance of making the Canucks within a season.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 3

16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Signing him now so he can play for Utica to finish out their season and playoffs would make him draft expansion eligible. If he thrives right outta the gate might make it another guy you have to protect. You never know. Signing him in the summer or a PTO then sign him in the summer might be the best route.

people are making way too much out of the pending expansion draft, I doubt it factors into any GM's decision much.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

and you got that from that statement?

well if you look at Boeser, Gaudette Demko, and now Hughes, they literally signed the day after there team got eliminated from the NCAA playoff. With  Lockwood waiting a wait makes me believe he is planning his role next year with Michigan, for next year so he can approve his stock and sign has a UFA. He could very well sign with us but the delay is little bit concerning.   

25 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

well if you look at Boeser, Gaudette Demko, and now Hughes, they literally signed the day after there team got eliminated from the NCAA playoff. With  Lockwood waiting a wait makes me believe he is planning his role next year with Michigan, for next year so he can approve his stock and sign has a UFA. He could very well sign with us but the delay is little bit concerning.   

In their case the decision was more obvious. In Will's case it could be that he just feels he could use another year of NCAA hockey to prepare for the pros and before he signs with Vancouver. Or maybe he doesn't want to rush a very important decision that he has ample time to make.

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

I think it's more that those guys are pretty much guaranteed to have lucrative pro careers, so there was nothing else to consider.  For WL, he has to weigh a college degree, and that life experience, against the possibility of pro hockey career, which is far from assured for him.

We have to remember that for the bulk of the American kids, they grow up thinking that a national championship is the pinnacle for them.

6 hours ago, Squamfan said:

in other words he is going back to school for his forth year and to become a free agent.

I believe next year would be his 3rd year but that’s just going off memory and not putting in any effort to look it up 

I did hear his coach today on 1040 talk about coaching him for a year and a half ( half of one season was lost to injury ) 

• Wat 1