The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, Grape said:

Yeah, Umberger had no interest in Vancouver though. It's a pretty big assumption at this point to think that Lockwood has no interest. 

If every player going into their 4th season in college was traded then there would be a higher proportion of players who opt for FA. Could be wrong though.

But at this point any thought of trading Lockwood is definitely premature and most likely has negative value for the reason I pointed out in my first post. 

I never said I thought Lockwood wanted to be traded or that I thought he should be. Just was responding to your comment that it was a huge risk for any team wanting to acquire him...

• Cheers 1

Just now, JamesBlondage said:

I never said I thought Lockwood wanted to be traded or that I thought he should be. Just was responding to your comment that it was a huge risk for any team wanting to acquire him...

Gotcha

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Grape said:

It's the same thing for the team who trades for him though. If anything it's even worse for the team that would trade for him.

At least he has an incentive to sign with the team that drafted him. If he's traded, he really has no allegiance to any team and will almost certainly test FA. 

For that reason his value would be very very low, lower than the potential benefit of signing with us

Fox is a much better asset who was traded with one year remaining before hitting free agency last summer. The team who acquired him, the Hurricanes, are stacked on RD with Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce and McKeown already ahead of him on the NHL depth chart for next year. I'm not sure how likely it is that he signs there. And he was more than just a throw in within the larger deal; Carolina wouldn't make the deal unless he was involved:

They talk about it about halfway through the video.

Vesey's rights were also traded to Buffalo within a month of him hitting free agency if I remember correctly. 

Both of those guys had a lot more value than Lockwood does, so the return wouldn't be as good. 

Of course if he says that he'll sign once he finishes the season next year, then there's nothing to worry about. If he doesn't really say much regarding his future in Vancouver and goes back, then I'd look to recoup an asset. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2019 at 4:43 AM, vannuck59 said:

Dahlen is another Black Eye for this club and if Lockwood chooses to play out his college years and sign elsewhere . ITs time to gut this management.

Are you trying to beat yourself up or something from being way too attached with prospects whom may or may not make it? You might want to get your own black eyes checked out. Luckily the organization will be just fine.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Has Lockwood said he's going back? I see 2 pages of drama when he hasn't even said what his plans are. :picard:

I think some of any non announcement, one way or the other, is from the Canucks side. Their roster count is at 48. There are three names on the 'to be signed' sheet. Lockwood, Brassard and ( rumour ) Sturm. Only two can be signed. Brassard, in my opinion, is third on the list and will only be signed once Lockwood, Sturm or 'mystery name from nowhere' say no thanks !

Edited by SingleThorn

On 3/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, Squamfan said:

well if you look at Boeser, Gaudette Demko, and now Hughes, they literally signed the day after there team got eliminated from the NCAA playoff. With  Lockwood waiting a wait makes me believe he is planning his role next year with Michigan, for next year so he can approve his stock and sign has a UFA. He could very well sign with us but the delay is little bit concerning.   

Boeser, Gaudette, Demko and Hughes were all top end prospects that were dominating College Lockwood however is not hes a roleplayer so hes weighing his options. 

16 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If they sign Brassard; does he not fit into the same situation as Di Pietro as being exempt from the 50 roster limit as long as he does not play in any pro level games this season?

Difficult question. Once he has no OHL team to slide to, perhaps he has to count against the 50. As an overager, he would have ended his OHL eligibility. So........???

2 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Boeser, Gaudette, Demko and Hughes were all top end prospects that were dominating College Lockwood however is not hes a roleplayer so hes weighing his options. 

Lockwood is not a role player in college. He’s a first line winger on almost any team. 

Edited by Grape

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If they sign Brassard; does he not fit into the same situation as Di Pietro as being exempt from the 50 roster limit as long as he does not play in any pro level games this season?

I think if they sign Brassard, it will be to a PTO in Utica and then sign him for an NHL contract that will be dated to begin July 1st.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Lockwood is not a role player in college. He’s a first line winger on almost any team. 

I never said he was a roleplayer in college. Hes a complementary first line player on most teams in college not a bona fide first line player. 

Unless he surprises everyone he will be a role player in the NHL if he even makes it. 

50 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I never said he was a roleplayer in college. Hes a complementary first line player on most teams in college not a bona fide first line player. 

Unless he surprises everyone he will be a role player in the NHL if he even makes it. 

You mentioned the other guys as dominating in college and then mentioned that Lockwood was instead a role player. I think it was fair for me to assume you were talking about college.

But of course, if you’re talking about the NHL, that’s fair.

1 hour ago, Grape said:

Yeah, I think people just looking at his number might underestimate hima bit. I don't think UM were an offensive powerhouse, especially once Norris went down.