The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

Really happy to see him go back to school. With the injuries he's had, he really could use another year in College before turning pro.

He had a really good year of development, but I really think his growth was stunted with how much time he missed. Needs a good year of strength training if he's going to make it in the NHL

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2019 at 2:34 PM, Grape said:

I mean I don't know how you're differentiating between Lockwood the individual asset being not high value, and then the mid-round pick being huge value, when Lockwood probably would get drafted higher than a mid round pick in a redraft.

People seem to always value draft picks really high, and then the moment the draft pick turns into a player, the value isn't as high anymore. 

I don't disagree that Lockwood's value reasonably could be more than a mid round pick. I was responding to stawns' post which I perceived to imply that Lockwood had little value and I was just taking the "ok...still" position to launch my point.

My point was the Canucks will likely (and IMO should) attempt to trade his rights to avoid the possibility of losing him for nothing IF he decides to go UFA. Others have validly pointed out that why would any team trade for him under these circumstances? So probably a moot point anyways.

FWIW..I think Lockwood has a higher ceiling than most seem to, but don't underestimate the value of ANY pick (lottery ticket).

22 hours ago, cyoung said:

Ugh ....no. Even if he possibly walks, it's not worth moving. If he walks, he walks.

Is that because his possible upside is worth the risk of no asset return?

If so, you have a very valid point. Trading a prospect on an upward trajectory for a lottery pick is still a risk.

21 minutes ago, CupIsComing said:

I don't disagree that Lockwood's value reasonably could be more than a mid round pick. I was responding to stawns' post which I perceived to imply that Lockwood had little value and I was just taking the "ok...still" position to launch my point.

My point was the Canucks will likely (and IMO should) attempt to trade his rights to avoid the possibility of losing him for nothing IF he decides to go UFA. Others have validly pointed out that why would any team trade for him under these circumstances? So probably a moot point anyways.

FWIW..I think Lockwood has a higher ceiling than most seem to, but don't underestimate the value of ANY pick (lottery ticket).

Except, no one will pay anything for a guy they could have for free next summer. No, they shouldn't try trading him because they still very well could sign him next year. There have been no hints that he plans on walking.

1 hour ago, CupIsComing said:

Is that because his possible upside is worth the risk of no asset return?

If so, you have a very valid point. Trading a prospect on an upward trajectory for a lottery pick is still a risk.

Ya, if it was a lottery pick I'd move him for sure but that's not happening haha.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, The Great Canucks said:

Except, no one will pay anything for a guy they could have for free next summer. No, they shouldn't try trading him because they still very well could sign him next year. There have been no hints that he plans on walking.

Buffalo gave up a 2nd round pick for Vesey. Now I'm not saying that Lockwood compares to Vesey, just saying teams do pay with hopes they can sway players decisions. I doubt Lockwood will walk, I'm sure he will sign when his season finishes next year. Young high end skill is great, but we still need these young 3rd line energy guys

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Letting some of these kids ripen without burning a year off there ELC ...will only make us stronger in the years to come....

Next year we make the playoffs....the year after we start blowing doors off the opponents buildings with a slew of young guns coming into there own...!

Not sure if we will make the playoffs but we will be knocking on the door.

2 years from now is when I see us having the most success.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

If Lockwood's intention is still fully to join us when his season is done next year (I know he said it is, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has said something and done something different and maybe a team like Detroit shows interest), then I fully agree with the decision to go back for another season. With his playing style and possible injury concerns, it makes sense to complete his degree for life after hockey if necessary. It also gives him more time to strengthen up and hopefully him and Quinn are buddies and Quinn can give him some pointers about the NHL level.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If Lockwood's intention is still fully to join us when his season is done next year (I know he said it is, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has said something and done something different and maybe a team like Detroit shows interest), then I fully agree with the decision to go back for another season. With his playing style and possible injury concerns, it makes sense to complete his degree for life after hockey if necessary. It also gives him more time to strengthen up and hopefully him and Quinn are buddies and Quinn can give him some pointers about the NHL level.

Quinn and Will had awesome chemistry together...I think he signs with us for sure and may be ready to step right in after one more year in college.

• Cheers 1

I'm not as optimistic about him signing with the Canucks. Imagine if you were in his shoes. He has no connection to Vancouver and he'd be stuck behind a decent depth chart on the right including Boeser, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, MacEwan and Roussel. I'm sure there are more desirable teams to be on with less competition on the wing. 

Edited by AK_19
mistaken a player's name

8 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm not as optimistic about him signing with the Canucks. Imagine if you were in his shoes. He has no connection to Vancouver and he'd be stuck behind a decent depth chart on the right including Boeser, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, Mckenzie and Roussel. I'm sure there are more desirable teams to be on with less competition on the wing. 

The Canucks are incredibly thin on the wing. I mean you could name 9 wingers on any team like you just did there. Our second and third best wingers are like Pearson and Roussel. 

If anyone is a good fit for him in terms of competition it's the Canucks. If he's good enough he'll play, there's not enough sure fire talent ahead of him.

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm not as optimistic about him signing with the Canucks. Imagine if you were in his shoes. He has no connection to Vancouver and he'd be stuck behind a decent depth chart on the right including Boeser, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, Mckenzie and Roussel. I'm sure there are more desirable teams to be on with less competition on the wing. 

That's not much competition on the wing...lol

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

haha our team is not very good on either wing at the moment and there is plenty of room to improve it. As he matures and hopefully earns a role he'll be able to step in for aging guys like Roussel

He's attached to Van because they drafted him and have worked with him. Plus he seems like a high character kid that really considered signing, but decided a full season in the NCAA is best for him. And its hard to argue with that considering his recent history with injuries.

Also, who the hell is Mckenzie? Kind of ruins your credibility with that alone.