The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

Oh well

:bored:

Just another of our prospects gone.  After we are thin in that department already with others leaving with a few choice words about their Utica development. 

After going for the "rebuild on the fly - make the playoffs every year - we're not going to stock up on draft picks" method, leaving our cupboards dry, especially for a finally admitted, rebuild team.  Oh well.

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2019 at 3:11 PM, theo5789 said:

If Lockwood's intention is still fully to join us when his season is done next year (I know he said it is, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has said something and done something different and maybe a team like Detroit shows interest), then I fully agree with the decision to go back for another season. With his playing style and possible injury concerns, it makes sense to complete his degree for life after hockey if necessary. It also gives him more time to strengthen up and hopefully him and Quinn are buddies and Quinn can give him some pointers about the NHL level.

Can also get in 200-400 more shags with college bunnies. Crucial stat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seems that Lockwood talked it over with the people around him, decided on going back for a senior year, and hopes to sign with Vancouver at the end of 2019-20.

OK thanks. The last 2 pages made me believe hes not interested in Van. Just CDC paranoia.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

OK thanks. The last 2 pages made me believe hes not interested in Van. Just CDC paranoia.

If he sign with us late next season, and plays a game doesn’t that burn a year off his ELC?  That option is not there if he goes to UFA status in August, right?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he sign with us late next season, and plays a game doesn’t that burn a year off his ELC?  That option is not there if he goes to UFA status in August, right?  

Not Sure, but iv'e noticed burning a year really isn't a big deal to many teams . It seems to be common. How many of the players the canucks drafted out of the NCAA choose not to sign with them? Yet instantly draws fans to believe the worst case if they choose to stay another year

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dannydog said:

Not Sure, but iv'e noticed burning a year really isn't a big deal to many teams . It seems to be common. How many of the players the canucks drafted out of the NCAA choose not to sign with them? Yet instantly draws fans to believe the worst case if they choose to stay another year

I can’t think of any NCAA draft picks that passed on signing with us.  Plus, Lockwood must be friends with Quinn, so there is that connection too.  Canucks are an all class organization, and have really quality character young players.  I’m sure Lockwood wants to be part of what’s being built here.  He’s a character guy too. 

• Upvote 1

During the media scrum when Benning was announcing the signing of Quinn Hughes he was also asked about Lockwood.  Benning said something to the effect that they were going to give it a week and even tossed out the possibility of him leaving college and playing with Utica.  That says that Benning didn't have any real intention of signing Lockwood to a contract this season.  Everyone is so concerned about him going back for his senior year and then holding out to be an UFA but there is no guarantee that he is in Benning's plans anyway.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

During the media scrum when Benning was announcing the signing of Quinn Hughes he was also asked about Lockwood.  Benning said something to the effect that they were going to give it a week and even tossed out the possibility of him leaving college and playing with Utica.  That says that Benning didn't have any real intention of signing Lockwood to a contract this season.  Everyone is so concerned about him going back for his senior year and then holding out to be an UFA but there is no guarantee that he is in Benning's plans anyway.

I remember that Benning answer too.  It did appear that Benning felt Lockwood needed more development outside of the NHL.  Then Lockwood chose to spend next year developing in school rather than in Utica.  Contractually I think the end result will be the same.  When Lockwood signs with us next March, he will need to play only one game with the Canucks to burn a year off his ELC.  Whether playing in Utica next season, or in Michigan he will have two years of ELC left after the season is done.  

On 4/9/2019 at 5:43 PM, AK_19 said:

I'm not as optimistic about him signing with the Canucks. Imagine if you were in his shoes. He has no connection to Vancouver and he'd be stuck behind a decent depth chart on the right including Boeser, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, MacEwan and Roussel. I'm sure there are more desirable teams to be on with less competition on the wing. 

With all due respect, there aren't many teams in the NHL with worse RW depth than that.  To me he looks at that and sees no reason why he's not the 2nd best on that list in a short time.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember that Benning answer too.  It did appear that Benning felt Lockwood needed more development outside of the NHL.  Then Lockwood chose to spend next year developing in school rather than in Utica.  Contractually I think the end result will be the same.  When Lockwood signs with us next March, he will need to play only one game with the Canucks to burn a year off his ELC.  Whether playing in Utica next season, or in Michigan he will have two years of ELC left after the season is done.  

If Lockwood signs a NHL contract next year after his college season is over I believe his signing age will be considered 22 because his birthday is before September 15.  That would make his ELC a 2 year contract and would burn off the first year as soon as he signs.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can’t think of any NCAA draft picks that passed on signing with us.  Plus, Lockwood must be friends with Quinn, so there is that connection too.  Canucks are an all class organization, and have really quality character young players.  I’m sure Lockwood wants to be part of what’s being built here.  He’s a character guy too. 

The only one was RJ Umberger, and IRC he said he would never play on the same team as Ryan Kesler again (they were team mates in college and didn't like each other) so I don't think it was about him saying no to the team that drafted him because he claims he would've signed if Kesler wasn't in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

If Lockwood signs a NHL contract next year after his college season is over I believe his signing age will be considered 22 because his birthday is before September 15.  That would make his ELC a 2 year contract and would burn off the first year as soon as he signs.

Interesting, but I think that’s not completely correct.  He needs to play one game, much like the two d men we signed as UFAs this spring.  Plus, he’s a drafted player, so he has to wait to August 15th.  I’m often wrong on these things though. :picard:

Edited by Alflives

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting, but I think that’s not completely correct.  He needs to play one game, much like the two d men we signed as UFAs this spring.  Plus, he’s a drafted player, so he has to wait to August 15th.  I’m often wrong on these things though. :picard:

To burn a year off the ELC you simply have to sign a contract in the current year (assuming the player is too old for the ELC to slide).  To burn off a year of waiver exemption the player has to play at least one NHL game.

Edited by UticaHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1