Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

A BA in psychiatry? Is that anything like a BA in surgery or internal medicine? You are pretty funny.

Here's the difference I don't see a Bachelor's degree in psychiatry as a good plan B for anyone. I guess it depends on life experience and perspective. If you're working at McDonald's then I guess it is a step up, if you're an analyst with  Goldman Sachs then it's a step-down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no such thing as a BA in Psychiatry.  Psychiatrist have to get their medical degree and then continue on to get their degree in psychiatry, just like any other specialist.

 

A BA in Psychology in much like any other (entry level BA); pretty much useless in the job market unless you can get on the job training..  He would have to continue on to get a Masters degree and then he could be a phycologist.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

There's no such thing as a BA in Psychiatry.  Psychiatrist have to get their medical degree and then continue on to get their degree in psychiatry, just like any other specialist.

 

A BA in Psychology in much like any other (entry level BA); pretty much useless in the job market unless you can get on the job training..  He would have to continue on to get a Masters degree and then he could be a phycologist.

Sounds like one of those “athlete” degrees, where it’s easy to keep up a GPA so you’re eligible to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alflives said:

Sounds like one of those “athlete” degrees, where it’s easy to keep up a GPA so you’re eligible to play.

Definitely.  But if he is serious about it, he could get his masters degree (post hockey) and then become a sports psychologist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Definitely.  But if he is serious about it, he could get his masters degree (post hockey) and then become a sports psychologist.

Which would be cool.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

There's no such thing as a BA in Psychiatry.  Psychiatrist have to get their medical degree and then continue on to get their degree in psychiatry, just like any other specialist.

 

A BA in Psychology in much like any other (entry level BA); pretty much useless in the job market unless you can get on the job training..  He would have to continue on to get a Masters degree and then he could be a phycologist.

That's gotta be one of the least exciting jobs in existence: 

 

Phycology (from Greek φῦκος, phykos, "seaweed"; and -λογία, -logia) is the scientific study of algae.

 

If that is his alternative, I think he should be pretty motivated to be a hockey player. I expect we will see him in a Canucks uniform sooner or later. Lol

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Psych major is considered 'filler' now? Who knew? :lol:

The Psych major is the most popular here at UM. It's definitely regarded as one of the easiest ones. I wouldn't say you're looked down upon if you have a Psych degree, especially from a (arguably) top 20 school in the world like UM, but it's best served being paired with another major, not as the only one. I considered doubling Psych with stats last year but I decided on Stats and Econ instead haha

6 hours ago, stawns said:

So three required courses for a BA in Psychology and an elective.  

 

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

That is NOT what I said. The kid said he was taking 4 courses of which one was a filler. It may well be that he may still need a summer course or two to complete his degree. It's not unheard of. Lot's of kids need extra courses to complete their degrees. One thing for sure being a student-athlete is not an easy task. You need some soft or filler courses to keep your GPA at an NCAA acceptable level.

32 credits in total are needed (each course is 2-4 credits and you're allowed max 18 a semester and there's 2 semesters with extra spring and summer semesters which people usually don't do), so if Will decided on his psych major earlier on and he's not doing another major or minor, there's no doubt he's gonna finish his degree. And you're right, for an athlete if you're taking a few courses going towards your major, the ones you're not should be easy filler courses. Lockwood wasn't one of the guys who won an academic award on the team, so he's not gonna be taking calculus or anything like that.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like one of those “athlete” degrees, where it’s easy to keep up a GPA so you’re eligible to play.

Yup

Edited by Grape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That's gotta be one of the least exciting jobs in existence: 

 

Phycology (from Greek φῦκος, phykos, "seaweed"; and -λογία, -logia) is the scientific study of algae.

 

If that is his alternative, I think he should be pretty motivated to be a hockey player. I expect we will see him in a Canucks uniform sooner or later. Lol

Now you are the spelling police!  Jeebus...:picard:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

Now you are the spelling police!  Jeebus...:picard:

I think you will find the correct spelling is, "Jesus".

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 21, 2019 at 11:35 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

Now you are the spelling police!  Jeebus...:picard:

If you actually believe that's what I was doing, it certainly explains some things about your posts.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you actually believe that's what I was doing, it certainly explains some things about your posts.

I don’t understand any of this, but it still makes me laugh.  :towel:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.