The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Michigan camp or Canucks camp - no I'm not being sarcastic, it's an honest question? 

I haven't watched Lockwood since world Jr's so I know virtually nothing about his development. 

Canucks camp! I forgot about Madden somehow, but he and Madden should be the two best. Lockwood is about to become a senior and Madden is obviously insanely talented though he played on a better team. 

I think some people miss out Lockwood's high end skill when they label him as just a gritty guy who gets dirty goals. He's got mad dangles and he'll try them often in games. Not sure how well it'll translate into the NHL, but he's got it in college.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Staying the extra year in Michigan = Team Captain of the Wolverines, Leather Jacket with C on it, Endless attention from Michigan State girls, Parties, Fraternities and Sororities, College degree, Close to home, Close to friends, East Lansing Whole Foods, Build muscle and work on game in a positive and fun environment. 

Signing with the Canucks and playing in Utica = Limited minutes, struggling to keep up to the speed of the game, new team, new coach, new city/town, no girls, no friends, no parties, friday night video games with Juolevi and Jassek :( , Utica Hannaford Supermarket :( , Build muscle and work on game in a tough and unfun environment. 

I don't blame him for his decision...

Next year he will be in a better position to challenge for a Canucks spot or at least the transition into the AHL will be easier. 

I don't disagree that he made a good decision to stay in Michigan for another year, but I would think it's more because he wants to feel more confident in strengthening his body for the rigors of the pro game and that's about it. He's very likely going to the AHL at some point, so he cannot avoid that.

There are puck bunnies everywhere. If he ever wants to make the NHL, he's going to have to get out of his comfort zone and make new friends, so I hope that isn't a reason for him to stay. Partying is fun and all, but he needs to be developing a pro mentality if he wants to take it to the next level and we've seen the party types either never make it or fizzle out quite quickly. I'd also argue that it's more ideal to learn against tougher competition so you know what you need to work on to improve yourself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mad Jon said:

Yes, but that will be his decision. He will have earned it. The fact that he has come to camp seems positive....Don’t you think? If he decides to sign somewhere else. Kismet !!!

I know it’s his decision but “well deserved”?  I don’t think it’s fair that teams can lose a good young prospect for nothing.  It just makes teams more leery of drafting players heading to college.  The NHL has to do something bout this when they negotiate a new bargaining agreement. 

6 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Hey, how do you Set up wallpaper on the bottom of your posts?

Are you referring to the image in my signature?

Just go to account settings and then select Signature.  Upload an image.  Easy peasy.

image.png.14e1a12e124dffcc64d018a9ce70a976.png

On June 25, 2019 at 11:29 PM, Pure961089 said:

I know it’s his decision but “well deserved”?  I don’t think it’s fair that teams can lose a good young prospect for nothing.  It just makes teams more leery of drafting players heading to college.  The NHL has to do something bout this when they negotiate a new bargaining agreement. 

Yeah, that "loophole" allowing teams to own college players rights for only 4 years instead of the 2 years for players drafted from junior has to go. 

I think its great that Lockwood is finishing his degree. I dont know what he is taking , but he will always have something to fall back on. He obviously understands that it is very tough to make the NHL and hes made a choice to ride out his education, get stronger, be that captain, enjoy this chapter in his life. I believe that if hes at the Canucks camp this year, and hes paid  his own way thats stating that he wants to be here next year...Good for him.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, ahf149 said:

I think its great that Lockwood is finishing his degree. I dont know what he is taking , but he will always have something to fall back on. He obviously understands that it is very tough to make the NHL and hes made a choice to ride out his education, get stronger, be that captain, enjoy this chapter in his life. I believe that if hes at the Canucks camp this year, and hes paid  his own way thats stating that he wants to be here next year...Good for him.

I think there is a gentlemen’s agreement that, when Lockwood’s college season is done he will sign with us and get in games on the big club.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 7:24 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Lockwood has always maintained he’s signing with the Canucks. After he made the decision to go back for his senior year in April: 

I talked with [Canucks’ GM Jim] Benning and [Utica Comets GM Ryan] Johnson, things don’t change for me, the goal is to still play in Vancouver at the end of next year. I also want to leave a little bit of a legacy in Michigan. 

The decision was more difficult than I thought but the Canucks were very understanding and didn’t force me and gave me the time.

At development camp:

He's committed to going back to school this fall and said playing a senior year for the Wolverines is best for his future.

"I think it will give me a chance to develop a little bit more, develop into the player I want to become. And Vancouver fully supports that. And I couldn't be more grateful for that," said Lockwood, who's been named captain of next year's Michigan team.

Still, the 64th overall pick from the 2016 draft said he's dedicated to playing for the Canucks once his collegiate career is done.

"It's kind of come to a point where I owe them a little bit. So I'm working on developing my game and the end plan is coming to Vancouver," he said.

For a third round pick, I'm pretty excited to see what this kid can do.

Most analysts have him pegged as a bottom six winger but, they also say he has the skillset to become top six if he can put it all together. 

Getting a speedy, high pressure, gritty third liner out of Willy would be great but envisioning him on Bo's RW is not tough to envision given his playing style.

Although video of his all around game are dificult to come by; what I have seen exibits his willingness to take hits to complete plays. This mentality is becoming rarer and rarer. Most stop up or try to go around rather than bulldogging through. 

I really like his approach to the game and look forward to seeing him soon in Vancouver.

I have to admit I am not as confident about him playing even 100 games in the NHL.  I read an article where his coach said he has had to change the way he was playing because of injuries.  His physical game had to be lessened because of ware and tear on his body.  I think he will have a good AHL career though.  Every 3 4 5 6 7 round pick don't make the NHL.  Just my opinion for what its worth.

13 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I have to admit I am not as confident about him playing even 100 games in the NHL.  I read an article where his coach said he has had to change the way he was playing because of injuries.  His physical game had to be lessened because of ware and tear on his body.  I think he will have a good AHL career though.  Every 3 4 5 6 7 round pick don't make the NHL.  Just my opinion for what its worth.

Ryan Johnson had the mentality to do whatever it takes for the team to win at all costs. He took a beating, but still got a 700 NHL game career. Coaches want him to have a long career so they want to find a way for him to be able to make it there, but his mindset is a coach's dream. He needs to do the proper workouts to strengthen himself to play the game he wants. I think he's going to have the effort like a Tyler Motte (already has 153 games to his name) and may have a similar career. Motte is stockier though, so Lockwood should aim to bulk up a bit.

I see him signing at the end of the college season and playing the playoffs in Utica, with Rathbone.

i don’t see him as a Canuck 2020 this spring late in the season. If he is on the Canucks this spring it means Canucks are outa the playoff hunt, which I hope isn’t the case.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I see him signing at the end of the college season and playing the playoffs in Utica, with Rathbone.

i don’t see him as a Canuck 2020 this spring late in the season. If he is on the Canucks this spring it means Canucks are outa the playoff hunt, which I hope isn’t the case.

He could be with the team as I think roster limits are lifted after the TDL, but he likely won't be in the lineup barring several injuries, so it would be more beneficial for his development to go to Utica where hopefully they are also in the playoff hunt.