The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Honest question: I don't know much; but is this dude even worth signing? Convince me he's worth a contract spot. 

I can’t tell you 100% whether or not he’s worth a contract. I’m not sure myself.

I’d say yes, he’s worth a gamble though, so I guess I’m in the “sign him and see what pans out” camp

As far as what kind of player Lockwood is, here’s a stab at a profile. It’s up to you whether or not this is convincing enough to say he’s worth a contract.

Lockwood has great wheels and excellent top end speed, owns a good shot, and some really good hands (especially in tight and at speed on breakaways and penalty shots/shootouts). He plays a very physical brand of hockey, especially for a slightly undersized guy, and he can be an absolute wrecking ball on some shifts. Plays much bigger than his size.

High character, hard worker, loyal, and by all accounts just a heck of a young man who’s well liked by coaches and teammates. Really good motor and brings lots of energy to his shifts. Hockey sense is maybe a little spotty, in that he has great individual instincts, but sometimes seems a beat or two slow on decision making within the team structure. Doesn’t seem to have high end vision in terms of game mechanics and anticipating other players movements and locations. Not necessarily an outright weakness, just not quite a strength (at least in my opinion).

Defensive game is maybe a little spotty too. Can be a really strong two-way player at times, but can also struggle making some reads. A work in progress (and there has been progress—he’s already more than capable playing at both ends at the college level—but he’ll need to continue to work and absorb some further coaching as a pro). 

Ultimately, he’s probably going to make or break in the pros as a bottom-six guy who will play a physical game, provide speed, bring energy, and score the occasional goal (often off of individual efforts like breakaways). Has the skill to convert on the offensive chances that come to him, but maybe doesn’t quite have the goods to really be an offensive creator at the highest levels. Has pro level skating, a decent enough bag of tools, and the drive and tenacity to make the most of his opportunities.

Still a long shot to become an NHL player of any significance, but he’s not a kid I’d bet against either. Overall, I like him a lot and hope that he pans out. He’s far from a sure thing, but I’d definitely be willing to give him a contract and the chance to prove himself.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Honest question: I don't know much; but is this dude even worth signing? Convince me he's worth a contract spot. 

He has good traits in work ethic and decent skill. You own his rights so it’s basically free to give him a shot past his college career. Everybody has a chance so free prospects is always a good thing. For me it’s harder to convince me he’s not worth at least a look after this season.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Hansen as a 19 year old was a point a game player in the WHL. He was 6'1"/200 and quite willing to drop the gloves if need be,  and hit like a truck. He could play up and down the line up 1st line to 4th line. Gaudette was a Hoby Baker player, Lockwood not so much. This all point to me that likely he's a AHL player

Will Lockwood

Pros

- Speed

- Very good hands

- Can and is willing to play special teams

- Strong Work ethic

- Leadership skills

- Plays with an edge

I see his floor as a tyler motte. 100% worth a contract, especially given who we have given contracts to in recent years. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2019 at 2:53 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I can’t tell you 100% whether or not he’s worth a contract. I’m not sure myself.

I’d say yes, he’s worth a gamble though, so I guess I’m in the “sign him and see what pans out” camp

As far as what kind of player Lockwood is, here’s a stab at a profile. It’s up to you whether or not this is convincing enough to say he’s worth a contract.

Lockwood has great wheels and excellent top end speed, owns a good shot, and some really good hands (especially in tight and at speed on breakaways and penalty shots/shootouts). He plays a very physical brand of hockey, especially for a slightly undersized guy, and he can be an absolute wrecking ball on some shifts. Plays much bigger than his size.

High character, hard worker, loyal, and by all accounts just a heck of a young man who’s well liked by coaches and teammates. Really good motor and brings lots of energy to his shifts. Hockey sense is maybe a little spotty, in that he has great individual instincts, but sometimes seems a beat or two slow on decision making within the team structure. Doesn’t seem to have high end vision in terms of game mechanics and anticipating other players movements and locations. Not necessarily an outright weakness, just not quite a strength (at least in my opinion).

Defensive game is maybe a little spotty too. Can be a really strong two-way player at times, but can also struggle making some reads. A work in progress (and there has been progress—he’s already more than capable playing at both ends at the college level—but he’ll need to continue to work and absorb some further coaching as a pro). 

Ultimately, he’s probably going to make or break in the pros as a bottom-six guy who will play a physical game, provide speed, bring energy, and score the occasional goal (often off of individual efforts like breakaways). Has the skill to convert on the offensive chances that come to him, but maybe doesn’t quite have the goods to really be an offensive creator at the highest levels. Has pro level skating, a decent enough bag of tools, and the drive and tenacity to make the most of his opportunities.

Still a long shot to become an NHL player of any significance, but he’s not a kid I’d bet against either. Overall, I like him a lot and hope that he pans out. He’s far from a sure thing, but I’d definitely be willing to give him a contract and the chance to prove himself.

Michael Peca was on the small side at 180 pounds.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Fred65 said:

Rumour has it Lockwood will sign with Ottawa, so best get Rathbone signed this summer :rolleyes:

If I was Lockwood I'd sign in the summer with a crappy team too.  He's got way better chance of making that team than ours.  Rathbone is a far superior talent to Lockwood, so he will make our team, and be a difference maker.

Don't worry about Lockwood going elsewhere.  He's not a difference maker.

And don't worry about Rathbone signing with us.  He's a great player, and knows this is a team on the rise.  

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Rumour has it Lockwood will sign with Ottawa, so best get Rathbone signed this summer :rolleyes:

Are you that cute furry Fred, who resides under the Queen Street Viaduct?  Or do you have an actual legitimate source for this "rumour"?  

Lockwood doesn’t have the numbers to be given an NHL roster spot right now. He’s gonna have to go to the AHL with any team.

I’ve read interviews in the past that he states he feels that he owes it to the Canucks to sign with them because of the faith they put in him. We’ll see if he stays true to that or not though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't even think Lockwood his parents or his agent know where he will sign let alone reporters..

Long ways to go ....it's only November, summer is a long time away..

But if I was Lockwood I'd wait till summer to hit UFA... look for teams with least forward depth and pick one of those that fits best..

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I looked at the page and all I saw was a nobody follower saying Lockwood to Ott (in the comments section).

Lockwood has stated on a couple occasions that he wants to sign with Van.  The only reason I can see that he wouldn't is because Van doesn't want to sign him.  It will be down to the # of contracts that are available and whether management think he's good enough to win one over other prospects.

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I looked at the page and all I saw was a nobody follower saying Lockwood to Ott (in the comments section).

Lockwood has stated on a couple occasions that he wants to sign with Van.  The only reason I can see that he wouldn't is because Van doesn't want to sign him.  It will be down to the # of contracts that are available and whether management think he's good enough to win one over other prospects.

You're correct for sure. But I did read that Ottawa were interested and frankly it makes sense for Lockwood himself. Ottawa iis a good place for any prospect at this time. I'm not all together sure Lockwood would be missed by Vcr. he's maybe in tough with other high end propsects

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't even think Lockwood his parents or his agent know where he will sign let alone reporters..

Long ways to go ....it's only November, summer is a long time away..

But if I was Lockwood I'd wait till summer to hit UFA... look for teams with least forward depth and pick one of those that fits best..

That’s the approach Justin Schultz took, albeit, different position. However, it really back-fired him and hindered his development and confidence until he eventually got traded to the Penguins where he can just play his game and thrive in his role instead of trying to do too much when he was with the Oilers because he was counted on to do too much.

On 11/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, ReggieBush said:

Will Lockwood

Pros

- Speed

- Very good hands

- Can and is willing to play special teams

- Strong Work ethic

- Leadership skills

- Plays with an edge

I see his floor as a tyler motte. 100% worth a contract, especially given who we have given contracts to in recent years. 

Check out Motte's NCAA stats, and then tell me again about this "floor".

IMO, I'd pass due to the injury history. If he can't stay healthy in college...

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You're correct for sure. But I did read that Ottawa were interested and frankly it makes sense for Lockwood himself. Ottawa iis a good place for any prospect at this time. I'm not all together sure Lockwood would be missed by Vcr. he's maybe in tough with other high end propsects

I posted the quote in the other thread as a response to you.

I see your logic but your post stating it is a rumour is false. There is no source saying the player is actually interested in said team and it creates a false narrative.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Like 1