The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Lockwood (likely) and NHL caliber player?  

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177811&encode=TRUE

19 games, 5 goals and 6 assists this season noticeable drop off from last season. Hope springs eternal

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177811&encode=TRUE

19 games, 5 goals and 6 assists this season noticeable drop off from last season. Hope springs eternal

I think he becomes a UFA.  Last season, JB said Lockwood was ready for the AHL at the end of the college season.  I think Lockwood wanted the same as ?Boeser and Hughes, and get those NHL games at the end of his college season.  The only way he can burn that year off his elc is to play NHL games at the end of his college season, which (IMO) JB will not do.  That means it’s the AHL for Lockwood, and no year burned off his elc.  Given those circumstances Lockwood goes to his August UFA date, and picks a team (Jersey?) where he can play in the NHL sooner.  

I don’t know if he’s an NHL player, or ever will be.  So no loss.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think he becomes a UFA.  Last season, JB said Lockwood was ready for the AHL at the end of the college season.  I think Lockwood wanted the same as ?Boeser and Hughes, and get those NHL games at the end of his college season.  The only way he can burn that year off his elc is to play NHL games at the end of his college season, which (IMO) JB will not do.  That means it’s the AHL for Lockwood, and no year burned off his elc.  Given those circumstances Lockwood goes to his August UFA date, and picks a team (Jersey?) where he can play in the NHL sooner.  

I don’t know if he’s an NHL player, or ever will be.  So no loss.  

I agree Alf, I don;t think he gets a contract here.  He would bbe very far down our depth chart if he did.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I agree Alf, I don;t think he gets a contract here.  He would bbe very far down our depth chart if he did.

Man how things change, this was an earlier post

That dangle at the beginning of the highlight video is just so dirty and filthy, the player he went around should get tested.

Reminds me of a bit Kane or Gaudreau with the quick turns and the quickness to then make someone look bad and roof a shot.

We haven't had a prospect like this in a long time. The fact he has a bit of an edge to him makes me smile.

You gotta laugh. Cheerleaders one and all 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Man how things change, this was an earlier post

You gotta laugh. Cheerleaders one and all 

What?  For sure fans cheer for their guys, but Lockwood is really not that great.  He never was more than that, was he?  I’m missing something here, again.  Alf struggles in cold weather. :picard:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lockwood, with his 11 points, is actually only one point off the team lead (Slaker with 12 points) for Michigan this season.

The Wolverines lost Marody (51 points) and Calderone (45 points) two years ago, and then Quinn Hughes last year. Basically removed the top end of their offense, and haven’t (yet) replaced it.

Lockwood was never really a player who would singlehandedly put up huge numbers. As a compliment to a potent offensive group, he certainly has the ability to be a prolific scorer at that level (aka around a point per game NCAA player), but that’s not the situation he finds himself in Michigan this year.

Scoring is way down across the board, and if not for some strong goaltending this year, Michigan‘s record would be even worse than it is now (9-11-2). Just part of the cycle teams go through. The Wolverines just don’t have the horses on offense they once had, and Lockwood and the other seniors only really have enough juice to keep them (marginally) competitive most games (and that’s assuming the goalies play well).

Glad to see you back on CDC Sid... always enjoy your input on the various player threads.

• Upvote 1

If he played center I think his chances would be much better of earning a contract.  There just seem to be too many good young prospects that are ahead of him and in the pipeline.  His size and injury history aren't in his favor as well.  Sad for him but it means that the Canuck's finally don't need to worry over whether fringe prospects sign at this point.  Bigger fish to fry.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lockwood, with his 11 points, is actually only one point off the team lead (Slaker with 12 points) for Michigan this season.

The Wolverines lost Marody (51 points) and Calderone (45 points) two years ago, and then Quinn Hughes last year. Basically removed the top end of their offense, and haven’t (yet) replaced it.

Lockwood was never really a player who would singlehandedly put up huge numbers. As a compliment to a potent offensive group, he certainly has the ability to be a prolific scorer at that level (aka around a point per game NCAA player), but that’s not the situation he finds himself in Michigan this year.

Scoring is way down across the board, and if not for some strong goaltending this year, Michigan‘s record would be even worse than it is now (9-11-2). Just part of the cycle teams go through. The Wolverines just don’t have the horses on offense they once had, and Lockw od and the other seniors only really have enough juice to keep them (marginally) competitive most games (and that’s assuming the goalies play well).

My point was not about how U Mich are doing but the unbridled  overstated enthusiasm and cheerleading some fans will show for any player that is a Vcr prospect regardless of reality  :lol: 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks bud! Was really sick for a while and took a hiatus from CDC for a couple months there. But feeling better and back lurking these boards and occasionally posting. ;) 

Great to hear you are feeling good, also do you think it’s kinda wild the CDC is giving up on this kid you need good 4th liner that play hard. This kid seem like he can be another Motte

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks bud! Was really sick for a while and took a hiatus from CDC for a couple months there. But feeling better and back lurking these boards and occasionally posting. ;) 

Welcome back i'm sure i'm not the only one who has missed your posts :)   Was just looking at your profile this morning wondering if i missed something!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Great to hear you are feeling good, also do you think it’s kinda wild the CDC is giving up on this kid you need good 4th liner that play hard. This kid seem like he can be another Motte

Motte, when in University, was a prolific scorer.  Lockwood hasn't come close to that.

• Like 1