The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Uh huh... so all this talk means you didn't spend your hard earned money on other people's children. You know, the children who don't have any education. As I suspected, you're a hypocrite. Talking the talk but never walking the walk.

You call out people for "wasting money on a useless degree", but you say they could've used that money for children who don't have an education. Why? Why don't you shell your money instead? It's not like you help starving children in need of school yourself.

Also, I find it curious about you bragging about providing investments for your children. Newsflash, that's what you're supposed to do as a parent. What are you bragging about?

Again, depends on what you mean by "non meaningful". This stuff is so subjective, and I'd argue that it's outdated to say that some degrees are meaningless. My issue is that you pretend to be better than other people, when you're not. You think you know it all, but you don't. I bet you don't even have a degree. What I hear from you is bitterness because you weren't afforded a higher education.

Well speculation is a poor substitute for knowledge. I spent many years in post secondary education, I paid for it myself and enjoyed the success as a result. I'm not bitter at all. Looking at the success I've enjoyed I'm rather proud. I came from a poor family, born during the WW2, food rationing, clothes mostly patched and both myself and my brother came out of it very well. FYG as a reference when my mother went to the butchers she didn't buy meat she bought a bone( and was lucky to do so) to make soup for the family. The butchers primarily sold rabbit and pigeons, :lol: they hung from hooks outside the shop. Men fought at the labour exchange for a days work. The fact that my brother and I chose education was something my parents were proud of. The fact that we both attended collage was a sourced of family pride. My brother was a Prof in Bio Chemistry in Purdue. Education is a great thing and the key to advancement, both private and communally. But to fritter away the opportunity on useless subjects and then waste the education on jobs any one can do is IMO is a waste of resources. Anyway, that's all from this end have a nice day :)

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think Motte has anything left to say. It is his spot. He's earned the right to stay.

People keep forgetting he's only a couple months older than Bo.

Motte's our new Hansen, he'll be a staple for a while 

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Motte's our new Hansen, he'll be a staple for a while 

It sounds simple getting a high energy forward but looking around the league there ain't that many around, so Motte IMO is good find. Most NHL D can make a good play if given the time to do so. But when they're under pressure it's a whole different story and Motte excels at that part of the game. From all we're told Lockwood is in the same mould and could be a bright addition

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It sounds simple getting a high energy forward but looking around the league there ain't that many around, so Motte IMO is good find. Most NHL D can make a good play if given the time to do so. But when they're under pressure it's a whole different story and Motte excels at that part of the game. From all we're told Lockwood is in the same mould and could be a bright addition

I'm excited to see what Lockwood becomes, it's nice that he's signed so we can just focus on his next steps 

Funny how time changes how things are looked at, it wasn't so long ago that Motte and Jokinen were a mediocre return for Vanek and now Motte's considered an important piece of the bottom six puzzle 

On 3/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, Fred65 said:

Universities are businesses first and fore most. 

While I understand that many people believe this fallacy,  they are not.  People believe they are businesses because students pay them to receive a service but the vast majority of universities survive on government subsidies and/or are not-for-profit institutions which, coronavirus economics notwithstanding,  most businesses do not.  

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

But to fritter away the opportunity on useless subjects and then waste the education on jobs any one can do is IMO is a waste of resources. 

How enlightened of you to educate us on what is or isn't a 'useless subject', nobody wants to waste 'resources' , right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

While I understand that many people believe this fallacy,  they are not.  People believe they are businesses because students pay them to receive a service but the vast majority of universities survive on government subsidies and/or are not-for-profit institutions which, coronavirus economics notwithstanding,  most businesses do not.  

How enlightened of you to educate us on what is or isn't a 'useless subject', nobody wants to waste 'resources' , right?

I can't say I agree with you but that's OK. Fees in the US, and Canada are not far  behind are often, range in the $40K - $100 K per academic year. Some are private university and some are State schools. My daughter attended a private Uni is the US ( thankfully on an athletic scholarship) I recall in the chamionships at Michigan State they had a football field that was full ( 110, 000 )all paying expensive tickets. The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor ( private ) had a stadium of I believe 90,000. It's big big business. Try driving along the I-90 close to South Bend IN. on a Saturday when the football team is playing, it's backed up for miles and miles. My brother left Purdue because he couldn't handle the we're building widget philosophy, the indifference was too much. Many Profs having tenure at multiple universities. He returned to research. It  took me years to understand the business element first and fore most but had it confirmed by him. Some subject are maybe interesting but frankly not deserving of university status. IMO on graduating students should have some thing of value to offer society. It's one of the reason professional exams are deserving of their status. Professional students don't ring my chime I'm afraid! and if we're honest they're not a small isolated group. Heck look at the Students on Spring break in Florida … the cream of the nation, I don't think so :lol:. Any way enough, this is a hockey forum

Edited by Fred65

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Well speculation is a poor substitute for knowledge. I spent many years in post secondary education, I paid for it myself and enjoyed the success as a result. I'm not bitter at all. Looking at the success I've enjoyed I'm rather proud. I came from a poor family, born during the WW2, food rationing, clothes mostly patched and both myself and my brother came out of it very well. FYG as a reference when my mother went to the butchers she didn't buy meat she bought a bone( and was lucky to do so) to make soup for the family. The butchers primarily sold rabbit and pigeons, :lol: they hung from hooks outside the shop. Men fought at the labour exchange for a days work. The fact that my brother and I chose education was something my parents were proud of. The fact that we both attended collage was a sourced of family pride. My brother was a Prof in Bio Chemistry in Purdue. Education is a great thing and the key to advancement, both private and communally. But to fritter away the opportunity on useless subjects and then waste the education on jobs any one can do is IMO is a waste of resources. Anyway, that's all from this end have a nice day :)

Collage? Really? Did you make paper mache too there?

Lmfao... a waste of resources for whom? What's with the all dribble about poor children not being able to afford an education? So far, I have yet to hear you chip a dime for a someone else's benefits other than your family. I could very well easily call you selfish and hypocritical.

Well family does allow you genuine and truthful information rather than depending on the yellow journalism that abounds. What I've  cited is fact, I have no idea where your info comes from. Readers Digest or People?  I have no idea how many US universities I have visited and talks with registrars. I'm certainly  no expert but I've ran into so many carrying huge loans and still working in jobs that will never afford them to clear them off, sad really. Anyway have a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKN1Q5SjbeI

• 1 month later...

Well if Lockwood one day plays for the Canucks, you can cite me as one of the naysayers.  I really didn't see it after his many injuries and having to adjust away from the physical style that he played.  

Players have their ups and downs in their careers and hopefully he stays healthy and makes the AHL roster.  

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

I wonder who gets a shot at the NHL first -- Will Lockwood or Oli Juolevi? Both are from the same draft class, last two guys standing from that draft class in this organization. My money is on Lockwood.

That would be very very disappointing. But it could happen I suppose...

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

I wonder who gets a shot at the NHL first -- Will Lockwood or Oli Juolevi? Both are from the same draft class, last two guys standing from that draft class in this organization. My money is on Lockwood.

This is a bunch of my own bs, but....

I don’t think we resign Tanev.  
Unless we get a buy out, we sign Tofolli instead, as well as Tryamkin.  
NT and a cast of young’ns like OJ, Rafferty, Brisebois, will fill in the 6-7 spots as well as bringing back Stetcher.  

So I think OJ gets NHL time first, and probably fairy early in the season. 

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

whoever is more NHL ready will be the first.  Lets not forget Lockwood has his fair share of injuries although he is a safer bet since his floor is higher, and can fit into a bottom 6 role because of his speed and grit.

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

whoever is more NHL ready will be the first.  Lets not forget Lockwood has his fair share of injuries although he is a safer bet since his floor is higher, and can fit into a bottom 6 role because of his speed and grit.

• 8 months later...
18 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

There's probably no room for him on this year's roster, unless he can somehow keep playing at this pace.  But having a game like this has to be a huge boost for his confidence, which hopefully carries over into his season in Utica.

Yeah, he’s probably a couple years away, both in terms of development and lineup opportunities.

But, if you’ll excuse the pun, the “will” is there with Will Lockwood, and I remain a big believer that he has what it takes.

He has pro level skating, can play a ferocious style for a smaller player, has some very good hands in tight, a good shot, loads of character/leadership qualities, and brings an energy game that’s well suited for the bottom six. He also appears to be past his injury issues, and hopefully they don’t resurface along the way.

The coming season in Utica will be an important next step. Hopefully he makes an impact and stays on the radar.

The future Canucks team is looking more and more “set” when it comes to the top-six, but that bottom-six will start to really open up in the coming years, as contracts expire and veterans move on. Hopefully Lockwood makes himself part of the equation for how the bottom of the lineup fills out in the coming years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...