The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

@Horvat is a Boss Red Berenson only recruits players who have very good hockey sense. He always has. You do not. DO NOT play as a freshman on a Red Berenson team if you do not have elite hockey sense. In regards to Will, you can defiantly see how smart he is in the defensive zone, he reads play very well for a young kid. 

Do you think he has the creativity and awareness to be a top 6 player?

Defensive awareness can be coached and is a lot easier if you are willing to learn. You don't have to control the puck, avoid defenders, look for plays, etc. I think he becomes more of a head down, take it to the net player on offense. 

Again in not a bad thing, but probably not ideal for the top 6 unless he plays with 2 other superstars. 

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Do you think he has the creativity and awareness to be a top 6 player?

Defensive awareness can be coached and is a lot easier if you are willing to learn. You don't have to control the puck, avoid defenders, look for plays, etc. I think he becomes more of a head down, take it to the net player on offense. 

Again in not a bad thing, but probably not ideal for the top 6 unless he plays with 2 other superstars. 

From what I've seen he looks like one of those players who, at his peak, will play up an down the lineup and in most situations. He is not likely to be a top scorer but he does appear to be a first rate puck hound which is damn good to have. Hansen-esque.

Edited by Scruffy05

8 hours ago, Scruffy05 said:

From what I've seen he looks like one of those players who, at his peak, will play up an down the lineup and in most situations. He is not likely to be a top scorer but he does appear to be a first rate puck hound which. Hansen-esque.

I agree. I would even go as far to say a breed between Hagelin and Zucarello. Guys who skate hard, get to the dirty areas and have a a fair bit to offer offensively, in all situations. I love the way he's been progressing so far hopefully he takes even bigger strides next season. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

He does seem to read the play pretty well and is capable of making passes in the zone. I just don't think he's creative enough to be a staple in our top 6. 

Please understand that I'm not saying he was a bad pick. There's nothing wrong with being a good bottom 6 player and those types of guys are very important to building a good team. I just think that the expectations shouldn't be too high for him just because he had a good year. 

What I saw in Lockwood was a smaller Cassels. Maybe Lockwood was a bit more physical and a little faster. When I talk Cassels it was his Memorial Cup run.

The main thing that I think could hold Lockwood back is his physical build. Here is some footage on him:

I think it's more evident in the second video, but you can see how much he has to fill out physically. He was taking some solid runs at people, but I think he's gonna have to add quite a bit of muscle mass to be effective at that in the NHL. His feet look fast and he has good coordination, but I think it'll take him a while to enough physically for him to be as effective as possible. 

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The main thing that I think could hold Lockwood back is his physical build. Here is some footage on him:

I think it's more evident in the second video, but you can see how much he has to fill out physically. He was taking some solid runs at people, but I think he's gonna have to add quite a bit of muscle mass to be effective at that in the NHL. His feet look fast and he has good coordination, but I think it'll take him a while to enough physically for him to be as effective as possible. 

Just let him marinate in the ahl for a few years build that muscle and go from there?

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think the fact that it is "more evident in the second video" is a positive thing. The footage was from last year, before he was drafted by Vancouver against significantly younger and weaker opponents. The initial footage that you posted was from this past season when he was playing against guys 3-4 years older than him. He will be fine

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

Just let him marinate in the ahl for a few years build that muscle and go from there?

Pretty much. 

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

I think the fact that it is "more evident in the second video" is a positive thing. The footage was from last year, before he was drafted by Vancouver against significantly younger and weaker opponents. The initial footage that you posted was from this past season when he was playing against guys 3-4 years older than him. He will be fine

In the same way, you could look at it and think that it's a bad thing that he was noticeably thinner against kids his own age and younger in the second video. He looks like he's about the same size as Keller. Obviously I didn't expect him to be manhandling college players in his rookie year, but you can see that there's a noticeable difference. That's at the college level. It's whole different level in the NHL. Just shows that he's probably going to have to work on adding muscle mass for a while before he's effective physically in the NHL. 

The first video only had one physical play, so it wasn't ideal for what I was trying to show. It still showed how Lockwood looked thinner than most guys, which is the main thing I was trying to stress.

I don't think there's a huge difference in player build between college, AHL, and NHL level players. If there were, Stetcher, Hutton, Johnny Hockey, Larkin, Werenski, and others wouldn't be able to make the jump as effectively as they have.

Give Lockwood another year or two in college. I think Middlestadt is committed to a year at Minnesota, too, so we might get to see the two of them play together. In any case, I expect him to build strength, skill, awareness, and speed while he's developing, and I suspect we'll see him above a PPG next season, too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NameFaker said:

I don't think there's a huge difference in player build between college, AHL, and NHL level players. If there were, Stetcher, Hutton, Johnny Hockey, Larkin, Werenski, and others wouldn't be able to make the jump as effectively as they have.

Give Lockwood another year or two in college. I think Middlestadt is committed to a year at Minnesota, too, so we might get to see the two of them play together. In any case, I expect him to build strength, skill, awareness, and speed while he's developing, and I suspect we'll see him above a PPG next season, too.

Lockwood goes to Michigan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For some reason, nobody posted Lockwood's....

http://theprovince.com/feature/canucks-top-10-prospects-2017/will-lockwood

It’s been difficult to miss the Canucks’ claim recently they will have six picks in the first 120 selections of the 2017 National Hockey League Entry Draft.

One, it means Vancouver is assuming it will get the Columbus second-round pick due this year or next because of the Blue Jackets’ John Tortorella hire.

Two, it suggests draft picks are in again around here. That’s especially encouraging news for a rebuilding team.

The Canucks had but two picks in the top 120 a year ago, which isn’t great, but they still have a chance to nail both of them.

The first, obviously, was Olli Juolevi. The second was considered a third-round reach at the time, William Lockwood, the winger drafted 64th overall while ranked by the Central Scouting Service at No. 108 among North American skaters.

There were lots of well-reasoned criticisms of the pick, including the fact there appeared to be players with more potential still on the board.

In his draft year, however, Lockwood didn’t play on the power play, and was used more as a traditional “two-way forward” which meant his offensive opportunities were limited and he wasn’t able to show his upside.

And here we are a year later, and the Canucks have themselves legitimate hope and a forward who slots in at No. 9 in our list of the Canucks’ top prospects.

$

A touch of Hansen

Lockwood was essentially billed as Jannik Hansen light and he did that label justice in his first year at Michigan, where he spent much of the season leading the team in points.

Lockwood has been listed at both 5-10 and 5-11 and in the 175-pound range, so he doesn’t have size. But his speed leaps off the screen when watching his games. And so does this: Lockwood really likes to hit, sometimes to a fault.

“What we liked most about him is he’s fearless,” Vancouver GM Jim Benning said. “He can hit.

“We see the speed of the game picking up (in the NHL) and he can play in today’s game. He has that courage level and fearlessness to play in the hard areas.

“But sometimes, he plays too hard. He tries to run guys over who are twice the size of him and he’s ended up getting hurt a few times this year.”

Lockwood’s play this year indicated the Canucks were right and his skill was underplayed a year ago leading into his draft.

‘Disruptive speed’

TSN prospect analyst Craig Button has been watching Lockwood for three years and is pretty high on him making an impact in the NHL on a third line.

“He’s got that disruptive speed,” Button said. “I don’t think he’s going to be a real top end offensive player but he’s going to create offence because he’s going to create turnovers.

“The biggest thing for Will, is he’s going to need to allow his body to mature. He wants to play a heavy game.

“He wants to take every challenger. He’s going to drive the net. He’s going to be in on the forecheck and he’s going to be engaged in those battles along the boards.

“I just think for him to be the best player possible, he needs to have that maturity. But he’s a smart player, has excellent skating ability and he wants to make a difference in the game.”

$

Benning believes he can be a good “complimentary player” because “he’ll go into the corners.”

“We are excited about him,” Benning said.

“We thought given the opportunity he’d show some offence and you saw that this year. He scored some nice goals.

“Michigan wasn’t a high scoring team. He didn’t get a lot of points. But he made some nice plays. I would say his skill set, or level, is better than what people give him credit for. You see players like him throughout the league now.”

WILL LOCKWOOD

Canucks Prospects Ranking: 9

Last season: 20 points in 30 games in the NCAA, playing for Michigan, which was one point off the team lead.

The skinny: He’s gone from a reach in the third round to legit third-line promise. Canucks need to hit on some middle-round picks and have a chance here with their 2016 third-round pick.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, J.R. said:

For some reason, nobody posted Lockwood's....

http://theprovince.com/feature/canucks-top-10-prospects-2017/will-lockwood

Hanson light was used as a comparable. When I watched Lockwood I was seeing Cassels light. In Penticton Cassels was playing a more physical game and Lockwood appears to be doing that already. At 175 pounds he might reach 185 and with his speed and ice smarts he could be a solid 3C.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...