The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

KuP8ed9.jpg

Scouting Report (via Elite Prospects):

A gritty, hard-working forward with a large frame. An agile skater for his size and is starting to work explosiveness into his game. Smart with and without the puck, and exhibits strength at both ends of the ice. Not the most physical player, but that side of his game will come naturally as he develops more bullish instincts. Loves to battle and works hard to win puck possession on open ice, along the boards, and in the corners. All-in-all, a sizeable forward that has the raw tools it takes to become an effective producer as he elevates his game. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

Stats:

Rodrigo Abols
Center
Born Jan 5 1996  -- Riga, Latvia 
Height 6.05 -- Weight 188 -- Shoots L

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 7 #184 overall 2016 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15  Riga Dynamo                 KHL    14    1    4    5    4  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  Portland Winterhawks        WHL    62   20   29   49   42   4   0   1   1   4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video clips:

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

He's 6'5" and already 20 years old so can play in Utica with Green next year. Could be a 7th round steal ala Tate Olson...

Why does every year we say our 7th round draft pick could be a steal, yet I don't remember any 7th rounder playing on the Canucks in the past years.

Here's my post in the locked thread:

Nice, good to get a member of the all name team with a later pick, and someone we've seen before. I like the pick at this stage in the draft.

But obviously has some concerns to have fallen to this point. We'll see how he does and if he can use his size.

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Why does every year we say our 7th round draft pick could be a steal, yet I don't remember any 7th rounder playing on the Canucks in the past years.

Benning's only been around a couple years. Give his 7th round picks a chance. They might surprise you. 

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Benning's only been around a couple years. Give his 7th round picks a chance. They might surprise you. 

Well hope his record his better than Boston, because from 2006 to 2012, Boston's 7th rounder played a combine total of 67 NHL games, all from the same player.

I know he wasn't THE boss then, but still I'm pretty sure Chiarelli was leaning a lot on him for the later round picks.

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Well hope his record his better than Boston, because from 2006 to 2012, Boston's 7th rounder played a combine total of 67 NHL games, all from the same player.

I know he wasn't THE boss then, but still I'm pretty sure Chiarelli was leaning a lot on him for the later round picks.

Why do you put unreal expectations on the 7th round? 

5 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Why do you put unreal expectations on the 7th round? 

I'm saying the exact opposite if you follow the conservation thread

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

I'm saying the exact opposite if you follow the conservation thread

Why do you even care. I know these guys are a longshot to play a single nhl game. You know they're a long shot to play a single nhl game. Whats the harm in someone thinking opposite of you and I? 

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Why do you even care. I know these guys are a longshot to play a single nhl game. You know they're a long shot to play a single nhl game. Whats the harm in someone thinking opposite of you and I? 

First, your telling me why I'm putting so much expectation in a 7th rounder

Then, you tell me why do I care when I'm trying to tell someone else, why are they putting so much expectation in a 7th rounder by calling them a steal every year?

Wanna make up your mind?

Just now, timberz21 said:

First, your telling me why I'm putting so much expectation in a 7th rounder

Then, you tell me why do I care when I'm trying to tell someone else, why are they putting so much expectation in a 7th rounder by calling them a steal every year?

Wanna make up your mind?

Well i misread your post that started

"Well hope his record is better than boston" 

I read it as "Well I hope his record is better than boston"

I'm glad he'll get the chance to play for Travis Green in what will likely be his last season coaching in Utica.  He's brought out the best in a lot of guys; I'd love to see him take Abols' game to the next level.

He's gotta prove he belongs in the AHL first.

7 hours ago, timberz21 said:

While there is an awful lot of enthusiasm shown by some for unproven late round picks, there have of course been a few cases of successful 7th rounders picked by the Canucks, though the younger posters on this forum may have been too young to be familiar with them.  Doug Lidster (1980) and Dixon Ward (1988) were probably the best of them.  Jason King (2001), Brandon Reid (2000 and Bruce Holloway (1981) also got into a few Canuck games.

7th rounders picked by other teams include Ondrej Palat (2011), Frederik Andersen (2010), Jordan Nolan and Erik Haula (2009), Jason Demers and Matt Bartkowski (2008), Carl Gunnarson and Justin Braun (2007), Derek Dorsett and Erik Condra (2006), Anton Stralman, Patric Hornqvist and Sergei Kostitsyn (2005), Troy Brouwer, Chris Campoli and Matt Hunwick (2004), Joe Pavelski and Kyle Brodziak (2003), Johnny Oduya, Dave Moss and Marek Svatos (2002), Henrik Lundqvist, Paul Gaustad, Matthew Lombardi and Anti Miettinen (2000), Radim Vrbata, Henrik Zetterburg, Martin Erat and Tom Kotsopoulos (1999).

There are a few pretty good players in that bunch.

10 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Jannik Hansen was a 9th rounder and Tanev was undrafted. There just isn't anyway to tell until you get them with your team. He could be anything, but we have already seen him play with our other young players, so management must have liked what they saw.

Archived