The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

that is kinda sad. We already knew we had a good chance at signing him after having him at prospects tourney. I mean slim chance a player drafted in his spot would amount to anything at the nhl anyway. 

But having the nostalgia of drafting another ex canuck's kid who was younger and mroe controllable sure seemed like an easier choice.

Guess we will see how JB handles Motte till the end of the year. If we don't sit him at all then he has to clear waivers next year....Would be a very poor decision to do that. Let him sit and play Goldy to protect Motte from having to clear waivers next fall.

Just out of interest Abols is 0.9444 pts / game while  Dahlen is 1.00 both in the same league and remember Dahlens plays for the top team and as such never plays the toughest schedule. Abols plays for Borfors, third worst team. 

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Just out of interest Abols is 0.9444 pts / game while  Dahlen is 1.00 both in the same league and remember Dahlens plays for the top team and as such never plays the toughest schedule. Abols plays for Borfors, third worst team. 

Actually I think they were the worst team before they added Abols and his 17 pts amd clutch play pulled them up to third worst.  

• 1 month later...

So I’m bumping this thread because in the lastest “prospects update” from the CDC mothership, Ābols is still listed as a Canucks prospect:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-prospects/c-298031634

The article is penned by Canucks freelance writer Tyson Giuriato, so who know where he’s getting his information, but it’s still an official nhl.com/canucks article saying that Ābols is a Canucks prospect.

I was pretty convinced our rights had expired, but there are a couple possibilities where we could have extended them (without public knowledge), so who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

2016 draft looking like the biggest stinker of the bunch. With that said the only picks that truly matter are the first 3. We didn't have a second. But Lockwood looks solid for a 3rd rounder and Juolevi is quietly coming along nicely. Can see why they drafted Abols. Wanted to reward him for his solid showing at our camp. Shame he didn't quite build on what he had going for him and ended up dropping him all together. Oh well. 2017 draft more than made up for the poopy 2016 draft.

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

2016 draft looking like the biggest stinker of the bunch. With that said the only picks that truly matter are the first 3. We didn't have a second. But Lockwood looks solid for a 3rd rounder and Juolevi is quietly coming along nicely. Can see why they drafted Abols. Wanted to reward him for his solid showing at our camp. Shame he didn't quite build on what he had going for him and ended up dropping him all together. Oh well. 2017 draft more than made up for the poopy 2016 draft.

I think that July will ( might ) be an interesting month. Gut feeling tells me that JB will offer AHL contracts to a number of players.

Abols, Candella, McKenzie, Brassard ( ? ) are all players that have Canuck value, but I think that JB really wants to keep his roster count as close to 45/ 46 as he can. I doubt that other NHL GMs rush to give out roster spots to these border line NHLers. An AHL contract might suit them.

On 2018-05-05 at 3:25 PM, N7Nucks said:

I didn’t know why Benning drafted overager kids that didn’t even have great stats in Abols and Stukel. Would have much rather rolled the dice on kids performing well in their draft years like Sokolov, Ronning and Sommpi.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I didn’t know why Benning drafted overager kids that didn’t even have great stats in Abols and Stukel. Would have much rather rolled the dice on kids performing well in their draft years like Sokolov, Ronning and Sommpi.

Definitely, but I can see why he did take a chance on Abols. He had a good showing for us in our camp prior to his draft. Stukel I never got but that's whatever. Later round picks don't particularly matter. Sure you can hit a home run with a guy or two but that happens so infrequently I'd chop that up to mostly luck. Oh well. He had a rough 2016 draft but more than made that up for that with the next draft.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

The overager strategy remains a good one. Players drafted in re-entry years tend to return good results versus their draft position. I think they just needed to tweak their process a little. They had a strategy of drafting guys with one elite tool (like Stukel’s skating) and hoping he’d manage to improve the rest. Thankfully, they’ve moved away a bit from that one. They also rejiggered things a bit last draft by looking for later round options on undervalued draft re-entry players that the scouts liked and who also “popped” (to quote Brackett) on the analytics. This netted us Palmu and Brassard. 

• 1 month later...

Archived