The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

There's always a chance someone could have picked him. Personally as much as I was would have beens stoked to pickup Kuznetsov, he wasn't any better than Abols this year, and we would have seen him play a lot with G. Breezy on his team. Sokolov although tremendously skilled, would have been a headache for management to bring into the prospects camp. How many lazy, skilled and undersized NHLers are there? Not many.

40 minutes ago, Derp... said:

There's always a chance someone could have picked him. Personally as much as I was would have beens stoked to pickup Kuznetsov, he wasn't any better than Abols this year, and we would have seen him play a lot with G. Breezy on his team. Sokolov although tremendously skilled, would have been a headache for management to bring into the prospects camp. How many lazy, skilled and undersized NHLers are there? Not many.

Abols is also 2 years older then both Kuznetsov and Sokolov. All three had there first North American seasons and all looked good. However Sokolov while he is out of shape still led his OHL team in goals and points in his first year. 

13 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Abols is also 2 years older then both Kuznetsov and Sokolov. All three had there first North American seasons and all looked good. However Sokolov while he is out of shape still led his OHL team in goals and points in his first year. 

Only saw a little bit of hockey from Kuz and Soko, but Abols had .33 points per game in the KHL in his D+1 and has played in two world Championships because of his work ethic. I don't see those two making that kind of jump over the next couple years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On July 3, 2016 at 5:59 PM, flickyoursedin said:

This is the one pick I wasn't a big fan of only for the fact that we could have just signed him after the draft and with the 7th rounder  we could have had Ronning, Sokolov or Kuznetzov.

Been thinking more about this today. 

Maybe the Canucks didn't want to actually sign him this year but still wanted to hold his rights? Maybe they'd prefer to see how he develops before committing to an NHL ELC?

Abols is eligible for an overage year in Portland, which gives Vancouver a year to watch him and see if he's contract worthy.

He's also drafted (2013 KHL Draft) and under contract (I believe) with Riga in the KHL. He's under a loan agreement to Portland IIRC.

So he could potentially go back and play in the KHL to further his development. Now if for some reason, Abols did go back to Riga (and was undrafted and unsigned in terms of NHL rights), and then just played lights out hockey, he'd be subject to the Ryan O'Rielly waiver rule if he was signed midseason to an NHL deal (as a free agent).

But by drafting Abols, he's on Vancouver's reserve list, which means he could be signed midseason (from the KHL) without needing to clear waivers.

Just a few things I was thinking about today.

Also, while he would have been considered an NHL free agent (if not drafted), it's remotely possible that his European status (and loan status to Portland) might have created a loophole (ie: no draft age restrictions for European players) where he actually could have re-entered the draft in 2017 (although I'd have to really check the CBA on this but he seems to fall in between a couple rules so there's some uncertainty there).

This is all spitballing without the CBA actually sitting open in front of me, but there might be some legitimate reasons why drafting Abols was a better option than signing him post-draft.

It's an interesting point, but I'm not sure he'd have enough clout to sign a deal with NHL outs if the Canucks did come calling. That'd mean if he did sign to play in the KHL, he'd be there pretty much for the duration (as the NHL still basically honours KHL contracts) but could come over after as we've done with Rodin.

But that late in the draft it's a crapshoot so I'm not too fussed either way.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

No points for Abols today vs Japan, but he did have a goal and two assists vs Austria yesterday in Olympic qualifying. Latvia vs Germany on Sunday will decide which team from their group advances.

I mean, Austria sucks, but it's good that he's scoring in legitimate international play.

3 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Latvia lost 3-2 to Germany today, so there won't be any Olympics for Abols unfortunately. Still remains to be seen where he'll go to start his season, although he's still listed on Portland's roster for the preseason for the time being.

I'd hope in Portland. They could use

the forwards and he could stand to hone his offense 

4 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Latvia lost 3-2 to Germany today, so there won't be any Olympics for Abols unfortunately. Still remains to be seen where he'll go to start his season, although he's still listed on Portland's roster for the preseason for the time being.

I'm confident he'll be starting in the ECHL this season.

Abols won't be with Portland, they signed both of their picks from this summer's import draft. He'd also take a coveted overage spot as he's 20. I expect him to be in Utica/Alaska or the KHL next season, I'll miss him as a winterhawk, he was fun to watch and a rare bright spot on a team that struggled a lot this year compared to the dynasty in the past

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One assist for Abols tonight, along with a fight. Only his second game of the season as he's been a regular scratch as of late, a consequence of the import rule that only allows two dressed per game - the Winterhawks have been using Jokiharju and Blichfeld more often.

It'd probably be best for Abols to get traded to another team at this point. There's really no use in him playing in junior as a 20 year old and not even getting into the lineup on a regular basis.

Archived