The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Ābols with a secondary assist on the PP. 1-0 score midway through 2nd.

EDIT: game ends 2-1 win for BIK Karlskoga 

So basically, when Ābols hits the scoresheet, Karlskoga wins. When he doesn’t, they lose (and usually get shutout). Last 7 games: 3W 4L. Ābols with all of his 5 points coming in the wins. BIK Karlskoga with a combined 1 GF in the 4 losses (3 were shutouts).

Karlskoga continues their winning ways when Ābols hits the scoresheet.

This time it requires OT. Ābols was pointless in regulation, although on ice for 2 goals for (and zero against). 

Then added the primary assist on the PP during OT to seal the victory.

He also went 60% on the faceoff dot and had a couple shots on goal and a blocked shot.

Now has 6 points (3G 3A) in 8 games played in HockeyAllsvenskan.

Forgot I said I was gonna check into Ābols’s draft rights. Apparently he did fall under the Euro category, so 4 years, which means we own draft rights until 2020. So lots of time to make decisions.

Hopefully he finishes out the HockeyAllsvenskan season really strong and earns another look with an SHL team next year, and one where he gets some better minutes and opportunities.

Still an extreme long shot, but his recent play has moved him a little closer to returning to the “prospect” category (versus “bust” and “wasted pick”).

He’s playing right now, by the way, as BIK Karlskoga face IF Björklöven. BIK is down 1-0 in the 2nd period. Abōls hasn’t done too much of note yet besides taking a boarding penalty.

Also, Canucks Army has started their midterm prospects rankings. Ābols checks in at #28 in Vancouver’s pool. He does not show well on their pGPS model (0%/2% success odds), but that’s to be expected given how their model works and the realities of Ābols’s career performance and history post-draft.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Also, Canucks Army has started their midterm prospects rankings. Ābols checks in at #28 in Vancouver’s pool. He does not show well on their pGPS model (0%/2% success odds), but that’s to be expected given how their model works and the realities of Ābols’s career performance and history post-draft.

Thought they only did a top-20.  This mean we have too many to choose from now?

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thought they only did a top-20.  This mean we have too many to choose from now?

Nope. Top-31. I believe we have 31 players that fit their criteria for “prospects” so they’re doing a full ranking of the group. They also had a public vote a few weeks back where fans could rank those 31.

They’ll probably do in-depth profiles on the top-20. Today they released rankings 31-28 in a single article.

And while I’m sure it’s tongue in cheek, I figured you’d enjoy this quote on their reasoning for the top-31:

EDIT: not sure if they meant “preeminent” or actually meant to say “preemptive” there? :lol:

Additionally, we’ve dug down and ranked all 31 qualifying prospects this year, rather than just the top 20 that we traditionally do. The reason for this is simple: we consider ourselves the preemptive experts on Canucks prospects, and we want to continue to be viewed that way, so there’s no reason to sell ourselves short by only covering two-thirds of the prospects.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Forgot I said I was gonna check into Ābols’s draft rights. Apparently he did fall under the Euro category, so 4 years, which means we own draft rights until 2020. So lots of time to make decisions.

Hopefully he finishes out the HockeyAllsvenskan season really strong and earns another look with an SHL team next year, and one where he gets some better minutes and opportunities.

Still an extreme long shot, but his recent play has moved him a little closer to returning to the “prospect” category (versus “bust” and “wasted pick”).

He’s playing right now, by the way, as BIK Karlskoga face IF Björklöven. BIK is down 1-0 in the 2nd period. Abōls hasn’t done too much of note yet besides taking a boarding penalty.

Thanks for the info. Not too sure why Abols does not appear on the CapFriendly reserve list. I'll include the link in case any CDCers might find this type of info worth having. (....don't use it often, but when it's useful, it's very useful. )

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/reserve-list

23 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Thanks for the info. Not too sure why Abols does not appear on the CapFriendly reserve list. I'll include the link in case any CDCers might find this type of info worth having. (....don't use it often, but when it's useful, it's very useful. )

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/reserve-list

It’s possible they’re correct and we no longer own rights.

I was going off of something posted by Jeremy Davis:

“Because Abols was a European-born player coming off of his first North American season when he was drafted, the Canucks will maintain Abols’ rights for a few more years.”

He’s usually good on CBA stuff, so I just assumed Ābols was in the 4 years group.

But poking around Article 8.6, there is a category Ābols might fall under where his rights would have only lasted one year (which would explain him not being on the reserve list).

It’s also possible Cap Friendly just missed something. They’re usually very good but they occasionally make minor mistakes.

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s possible they’re correct and we no longer own rights.

I was going off of something posted by Jeremy Davis:

“Because Abols was a European-born player coming off of his first North American season when he was drafted, the Canucks will maintain Abols’ rights for a few more years.”

He’s usually good on CBA stuff, so I just assumed Ābols was in the 4 years group.

But poking around Article 8.6, there is a category Ābols might fall under where his rights would have only lasted one year (which would explain him not being on the reserve list).

It’s also possible Cap Friendly just missed something. They’re usually very good but they occasionally make minor mistakes.

Thanks. CapFriendly does have a disclaimer on the reserve list page noting that their lists may not be complete. I love the info they give. Superb site.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

"Additionally, we’ve dug down and ranked all 31 qualifying prospects this year, rather than just the top 20 that we traditionally do. The reason for this is simple: we consider ourselves the preemptive experts on Canucks prospects, and we want to continue to be viewed that way, so there’s no reason to sell ourselves short by only covering two-thirds of the prospects."

Yeah, their record (and backtracking) speaks for itself.

Ābols played 16:53 TOI, had 1 assist (primary), 1 SOG, and 6/9 faceoffs today.

As usual, when Ābols scores, Karlskoga wins, this time 6-2 over Troja-Ljungby.

I’m not sure there’s actually a causal relationship here, but regardless, since Ābols joined BIK, they’ve made up some ground and are now a win away from climbing out of the league cellar and potentially avoiding relegation.

Ābols now has 7 points (3G 4A) in his 11 game played since moving to HockeyAllsvenskan this season.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:46 PM, Dazzle said:

What the &^@# were they thinking not drafting Ronning? 

What did they see in Abols? He wasn't a horrible pick being a late pick though. 

Canucks saw Abols when he was an invite in Penticton. Who knows why we passed on Ty, be interesting to see how his game translates to the AHL next year. As for Abols ya he is probly a long shot to ever play in the NHL. That said of course the nostalgia factor of the name Ronning would be too good to pass up most times you would think. I guess Abols impressed enough to think he may become an energy 4th line guy?

If I'm not mistaken, Abols was really good at the Young Prospects tourney the year before he was drafted. He couldnt be signed, from what I remember, because he was playing in the WHL so it seemed like a worthy gamble as a 7th rounder. He'd clearly been on the Canucks radar for a year prior to his drafting + by drafting Abols instead of signing him, they could let him develop without using a contract slot on him.

That said, I always found it curious that they didnt draft Ronning. Not only for nostalgic reasons but because he was good for the Giants. I've noticed that the Canucks seem to shy away from drafting Giants, for some reason, and I've never understood it. Maybe they see too much of them so it's easy for the scouts to fall out of love with potential prospects on the Giants over other WHL teams? It seems stupid but stupider things have happened.

With all that said, Canucks did make a mistake selecting Abols. If I redid that 7th round, I'd have the Canucks draft Ronning + McKenzie (still like that pick) and then they could have just signed Abols.

There's still no guarantee that Ronning signs with the Rangers but it's looking like he will. I'm just surprised Ronning fell so far. May really be a sleeper pick for the Rangers in a few years if Ronning keeps improving the way he has.

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

If I'm not mistaken, Abols was really good at the Young Prospects tourney the year before he was drafted. He couldnt be signed, from what I remember, because he was playing in the WHL so it seemed like a worthy gamble as a 7th rounder. He'd clearly been on the Canucks radar for a year prior to his drafting + by drafting Abols instead of signing him, they could let him develop without using a contract slot on him.

That said, I always found it curious that they didnt draft Ronning. Not only for nostalgic reasons but because he was good for the Giants. I've noticed that the Canucks seem to shy away from drafting Giants, for some reason, and I've never understood it. Maybe they see too much of them so it's easy for the scouts to fall out of love with potential prospects on the Giants over other WHL teams? It seems stupid but stupider things have happened.

With all that said, Canucks did make a mistake selecting Abols. If I redid that 7th round, I'd have the Canucks draft Ronning + McKenzie (still like that pick) and then they could have just signed Abols.

There's still no guarantee that Ronning signs with the Rangers but it's looking like he will. I'm just surprised Ronning fell so far. May really be a sleeper pick for the Rangers in a few years if Ronning keeps improving the way he has.

Lack of size is the reason, primarily.

I guess the Canucks didn't want Ronning since we already had Palmu. Still, a mistake not to draft Ronning, even if Abols had a pretty good Young Prospects tourney.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I guess the Canucks didn't want Ronning since we already had Palmu. Still, a mistake not to draft Ronning, even if Abols had a pretty good Young Prospects tourney.

The Canucks need to use that crystal ball to their advantage more. Palmu was drafted the year after the Abols/Ronning was drafted. Not sure I would call it a mistake so soon, especially for 7th rounders. Ronning is doing well in the WHL (as an overager) and Abols failed to impress on a weak team in the SHL, but Abols is stepping up for a weak team in a lower league (same league as Dahlen) that is on the brink of relegation. Abols may not make it to the NHL (could be a career AHLer if he doesn't want to stay in Europe), but Ronning at this point is no closer to the NHL.

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The Canucks need to use that crystal ball to their advantage more. Palmu was drafted the year after the Abols/Ronning was drafted. Not sure I would call it a mistake so soon, especially for 7th rounders. Ronning is doing well in the WHL (as an overager) and Abols failed to impress on a weak team in the SHL, but Abols is stepping up for a weak team in a lower league (same league as Dahlen) that is on the brink of relegation. Abols may not make it to the NHL (could be a career AHLer if he doesn't want to stay in Europe), but Ronning at this point is no closer to the NHL.

MB on Palmu. Thanks for pointing that out.

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

We just drafted Palmu last June, Ty was drafted the year before

Archived