The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You insinuated that Tate Olson is a steal

Tate Olson is a bit of a steal. If we hadn't drafted him, I suspect -- with his numbers -- that he'd have gone in the 3rd or 4th round of this year's draft based on the pattern of teams drafting Draft +1 players in the mid rounds and later this past draft.

I like Rodrigo Abols. He had a great training camp and prospect development week last year. Sure, his season with the Portland Winterhawks was a bit "meh" but I think it was just a matter of adjusting from the larger ice surface of Europe (specifically the KHL where he played for a year) to the smaller ice services of NA as well as how he was used in the Winterhawks lineup last season. I suspect his development path will be similar to that of Joseph Labate, Darren Archibald, and/or Ronalds Kenins. He'll play in Utica next season and if he can come in midseason as an injury replacement and be a 4th line energy guy, it'll be a win. It's weird to think that our 7th rounder has a very good chance at making his NHL debut this coming season... but I think it'll happen. Likely he'll be kept in Utica for most of next season as he adjusts to the pros.

But for a 7th rounder, Rodrigo seems like he could fill a nice depth role in the NHL in a few years time.

One thing for sure with the up front and personal  look at this kid there's no excuses if he doesn't turn out to be a future Canuck. Surely no other team has been as involved with Abols as much as the vcr scouting staff

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 0:06 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Im still hopping Mackenzie Stewart surprises everyone and becomes a stud 4th line NHL'er 

"Hope can be a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."

A.Dufresne

7 hours ago, guntrix said:

Damn. He looks really good. I take it that he fell to the 7th because of his point production and physicality? 

Age mostly, and lack of points for his age. He scores a lot from the hard areas though. Will be interesting to see if he goes to Utica this year.

I can't say I was a fan of this pick. 

He's been entirely lacklustre in every game I've seen him in. 

Not sure why, if we were that intersted in him, we wouldn't take another player and risk him passing through because we might have just been able to sign him a week later for free. 

Just now, theminister said:

I can't say I was a fan of this pick. 

He's been entirely lacklustre in every game I've seen him in. 

Not sure why, if we were that intersted in him, we wouldn't take another player and risk him passing through because we might have just been able to sign him a week later for free. 

*cough* Ty Ronning *cough*

18 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Could have taken ronning with our later 7th Rd pick

has nothing to do with abols

Sure it does. Whether you would have liked them to take Ronning yourself or not, it absolutely does. 

If they had passed on Abols, to offer him a UFA deal, and taken McKenzie with the first 7th then they still could have gotten Ronning with the second 7th. 

I like the McKenzie pick... I'm completely underwhelmed about using an extremely late pick on a 20 year old. Throw in the fact that Abols was incredibly inconsistent and it's definitely not the way I would have gone. 

Anyway you look at it, they chose Abols over Ronning even though he would have been a UFA anyway if passed over for 27 more picks, which he likely would have. 

Archived