The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lost in the Sedinery of the day, Brett McKenzie continued his strong playoffs picking up another two assists in OS’s series opening win versus SSM.

He’s now up to 9 points (4G 5A) in 5 playoff games.

I appreciate the updates, even at 3:35 am. :lol:

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

McKenzie with a goal, +1, 3 SOG, and 7/15 faceoffs.

He’s now at 13 points (6G 7A) in 10 games these playoffs and +4.

He remains the playoff points leader for Owen Sound this year.

I wonder if we will get him a contract before he hits UFA status this summer. I have gone up and down with this prospect, saying yes last season, but then I thought he did not follow up this season, and now with this strong showing in the playoffs.

I would like to hear from those who have actually watched more than a few of his games to comment on whether or not he should/will be Canucks property for next season. :)

16 minutes ago, Pearly Jamble said:

I wonder if we will get him a contract before he hits UFA status this summer. I have gone up and down with this prospect, saying yes last season, but then I thought he did not follow up this season, and now with this strong showing in the playoffs.

I would like to hear from those who have actually watched more than a few of his games to comment on whether or not he should/will be Canucks property for next season. :)

I haven’t watched much more than just “a few” of his games this season where I’ve really paid attention to McKenzie. I usually end up watching a couple OHL games at the same time and this year I’ve tried to focus on Gadjovich, DiPietro,and Brassard.

But from what I’ve seen, McKenzie’s been pretty good. He didn’t put up the scoring numbers, but some of that came down to usage. He often played a matchup/shutdown role with a fair amount of defensive starts. He also spent half the year with a poor team in North Bay. And the percentages weren’t kind to him. He put up around 4 SOG per game, which is good, but didn’t have much luck scoring (and neither did his linemates). Similarly, he didn’t have a great FO%, but his coaches still used him for a tonne of draws, especially in crucial matchups. 

So the numbers don’t tell the whole story. He’s considered a good two-way player and a guy who can lock down a #2C spot in the OHL and be trusted to handle top opposition players and whatever deployment is asked of him. He’s not overly aggressive, but he still plays hard and physical, and he has good size and strength.

Where he’s really come on though is during these playoffs. Owen Sound’s top guys have struggled at times and been successfully shut down in many games. And having McKenzie on their second line has really helped them win games they might otherwise have lost. He’s been the hero for many of their victories this post season and has appeared regularly in the three stars after games. He’s leading the team in playoff scoring and he’s been clutch, scoring in critical moments to help them win. He’s also taken and won the most draws of all their centremen.

So he’s been a crucial component to Owen Sound getting as deep as they have in this year’s playoffs.

Should he continue to impress, he might very well earn a contract on the strength of his postseason play. Right or wrong, most teams put a fair amount of stock in how well players perform “when the games are important” and strong playoff results have earned plenty of guys contracts. It’s possible McKenzie will join that group.

So McKenzie scored the game opening goal but now Owen Sound is down 4-1.

McKenzie one of the few Attack players without a minus.

For some reason, Owen Sound started Guzda, their 17 year old, OHL rookie, backup goalie. In a road game 7 against one of the most dangerous offensive teams in the league. I can’t claim to be an expert, but this seems a tad odd.

Guzda got pulled and now Lafreniere is in. He’s also given up a goal, but you’d think they should have started with the guy with 6 playoff wins this year (versus Guzda with only 1 W to his name).

Not that OS has good goaltending to begin with. But it was a big ask for a 17 year old to start this game.

Gonna be tough sledding for OS to come back from 4-1. 

EDIT: Now 5-1 nearing the end of the 2nd. :(

EDIT2: And Guzda is back in net. Lafreniere injured?

OK, nursing a bad groin apparently. Makes more sense now that they went with the rookie.

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Game looks out of reach with OS down 6-2 with a period left but McKenzie is doing what he can. He has 1G 1A, +1, 3 SOG.

EDIT: down 7-2 now. Looks like McKenzie’s OHL career is nearing the end. Has he done enough this postseason to earn a pro contract? We shall see.

EDIT2: he’s making his case. Scored again. 7-3 now

Not usually one to focus on one tournament or playoffs but one understands why his numbers have been somewhat poor this year.

I think he's definitely earned an AHL deal and I actually think he'll get an ELC considering our C depth. Sign McKenzie and let Megna and Cassels walk. Chaput, MacEwen, McKenzie and a vet AHL C would be good for Utica.(Assuming both Gaud and Pettersson make the Bigs)

6 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I'd like to see him play in the AHL. He might get an ATO still. 

I wonder if Gadjovich is healthy enough to go to Utica?

ATO would be a great call for McKenzie. We have a few weeks left on his rights so might as well get a look at him in Utica.

Gadjovich, hard to say. Seems like he’s held together with tape right now. He’s been a warrior playing through injury but maybe needs some time to rest and fully heal up?

And the game is 8-5 now with a couple minutes left. Gadjovich scored the last one.

EDIT: 8-6 now. Getting interesting

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gadjovich, hard to say. Seems like he’s held together with tape right now. He’s been a warrior playing through injury but maybe needs some time to rest and fully heal up?

Would think they'd still send him to Utica, even if he doesn't play, just to get the experience of being around a pro team.  A pro team that will likely be his home next season.  He can still rest up and have his recovery monitored there.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would think they'd still send him to Utica, even if he doesn't play, just to get the experience of being around a pro team.  A pro team that will likely be his home next season.  He can still rest up and have his recovery monitored there.

That’s true. Maybe a couple days off and then he can just hang around as a black ace.

If he’s good to play, he’d be available and maybe get in if the Comets need a body.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

A lot would depend on how banged up he is.  There are so many extra forwards right now that the Comets are pushing some of the extras into a smaller second group at practice that they take the ice after the main group is done.  The extras won't make the trip out to Toronto for the games this weekend either.  Not sure there would be much benefit unless he was healthy enough to be included in the main group.

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

A lot would depend on how banged up he is.  There are so many extra forwards right now that the Comets are pushing some of the extras into a smaller second group at practice that they take the ice after the main group is done.  The extras won't make the trip out to Toronto for the games this weekend either.  Not sure there would be much benefit unless he was healthy enough to be included in the main group.

It's doubtful he would play considering his health to begin with, unless they go on an extended run and hit injury issues while he becomes ready to play.  It would be more about getting a jumpstart to next year by being involved with a pro team in whatever capacity, even if just practice, training, or recovery, and experiencing the change in lifestyle.

Archived