The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't think I would give McKenzie an ELC at this point. Maybe an AHL deal for a couple of years and then see how he looks.

Agree. AHL contracts might become more common. It's extremely important to keep the 50 slot roster as low as possible. Anything over 46 contracts reduces JB's options ( trade/ deal wise )

Trouble with AHL contracts is that the player can opt out and leave the Canucks.

I think the Archibald treatment works in our favour. Players can see that an AHL contract can lead to the NHL.

McKenzie, Brassard, Candella and others might all be offered AHL deals.

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Agree. AHL contracts might become more common. It's extremely important to keep the 50 slot roster as low as possible. Anything over 46 contracts reduces JB's options ( trade/ deal wise )

Trouble with AHL contracts is that the player can opt out and leave the Canucks.

I think the Archibald treatment works in our favour. Players can see that an AHL contract can lead to the NHL.

McKenzie, Brassard, Candella and others might all be offered AHL deals.

Brassard probably earns a deal. His offensive output was bananas. If he's draft re-entry eligible I'd imagine we sign him. McKenzie probably gets a Comets tryout if he isn't nabbed in the draft.

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Brassard probably earns a deal. His offensive output was bananas. If he's draft re-entry eligible I'd imagine we sign him. McKenzie probably gets a Comets tryout if he isn't nabbed in the draft.

McKenzie is 21 so he can't re-enter the draft. Pretty sure he just becomes a free agent if unsigned by the Canucks.

14 hours ago, Agoork said:

I think McKenzie gets signed to an ELC.   He's clutch when it counts.

This plus he is a natural Center.  The Canucks need some depth at the Center position and he plays a 2 way game.  Look how he excelled on a decent team given an opportunity to perform. 

Yes he is 21 playing in the CHL but based on his skating and size I think he has some upside.  He may need to percolate for a couple of years in the A.

31 minutes ago, Borvat said:

This plus he is a natural Center.  The Canucks need some depth at the Center position and he plays a 2 way game.  Look how he excelled on a decent team given an opportunity to perform. 

Yes he is 21 playing in the CHL but based on his skating and size I think he has some upside.  He may need to percolate for a couple of years in the A.

I have a feeling he may be in the echl next year on an ahl contract. 

43 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think they'll sign McKenzie.  If I'm not mistaken, he's fantastic at faceoffs (at the OHL level at least) and he showed that he can step up his game.  The ECHL or AHL is the logical next proving ground for him and, as mentioned by others, we just don't have that many centers.

McKenzie is OK at faceoffs. Not a standout though. Percentage-wise he’s actually a bit poor. Maybe around a 45% career win percentage in the OHL. But he takes a lot of draws and in key situations, so he’s often going head to head against the better guys. Plus his coaches on two separate teams have deemed him a good option for taking the most important draws (possibly because he’s such a solid two-way player that he’s useful in key situations even if he loses the draw).

Still, to be considered good on faceoffs, and at his age, you’d probably want to see a guy running close to 60% win percentage in the OHL. McKenzie was 48.2% in the playoffs and 47.2% in the regular season. That’s only around the 4th or 5th best percentage among Owen Sound’s regulars. Nonetheless, he took the most total draws of any of their centres.

EDIT: Not that faceoffs are so important in themselves (especially the difference between 45% and 55% or whatever). The main thing is that his coaches continually put him out for key draws.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was gonna say the same but forgot to add that into the post. :lol:

Thanks for the correction!  For some reason I thought strong faceoff ability was in McKenzie's repertoire.  As you said, it's not the thing that's going to get him signed but I always thought he was known more for defensive ability (including faceoffs, i.e. possession, which appears to be mistaken) with this year's offensive performance showing that he has a more well-rounded game than he might be getting credit for.  I'm assuming he has higher upside than Kellan Lain did in any case...

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I feel like this is the right move.

Not a surprise really. Could still see him getting an AHL deal out of us after the draft.

2016 draft class is not shaping out to well. Good thing the 2017 class is stellar!

Archived