The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

He is a 6ft 2" centre that has previously been lauded primarily for his defensive game.

So he's a Bopper, who is showing he can play.  Sounds like Gaunce better keep playing hard because there is a guy wanting that spot.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

So he's a Bopper, who is showing he can play.  Sounds like Gaunce better keep playing hard because there is a guy wanting that spot.

He became a bopper, but apparently, before that, he was a super skilled midget player.

Seems like he's got the brains to adjust to his team's situation. 

I like this this kid and think we might have something here. 

Upside: middle six? What do you guys think?

21 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

He became a bopper, but apparently, before that, he was a super skilled midget player.

Seems like he's got the brains to adjust to his team's situation. 

I like this this kid and think we might have something here. 

Upside: middle six? What do you guys think?

I think middle six would be fair upside if everything came together. Probably projects closer to bottom six however.

One thing I really like about McKenzie is how he continues to improve and hone his game. His first year of eligibility, scouts said he was a good two-way player but his skating was an issue. By his second year of eligibility (when we picked him), he was considered a "plus" skater but was said to lack high end scoring ability and was criticized for not using his size and playing physical enough. This season, he's killing it offensively and has also added much more of a physical element to his game.

Reminds me a bit of how the Sedins would focus on a weakness each year and find ways to improve. Not intending any comparisons in player type here. Just that McKenzie seems to be crossing off items from the list of weaknesses that might have once been seen to limit his potential.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎31 at 1:45 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think middle six would be fair upside if everything came together. Probably projects closer to bottom six however.

One thing I really like about McKenzie is how he continues to improve and hone his game. His first year of eligibility, scouts said he was a good two-way player but his skating was an issue. By his second year of eligibility (when we picked him), he was considered a "plus" skater but was said to lack high end scoring ability and was criticized for not using his size and playing physical enough. This season, he's killing it offensively and has also added much more of a physical element to his game.

Reminds me a bit of how the Sedins would focus on a weakness each year and find ways to improve. Not intending any comparisons in player type here. Just that McKenzie seems to be crossing off items from the list of weaknesses that might have once been seen to limit his potential.

I totally agree with your assessment Sid. I think the kid has really embraced the role of captain and is very focused on leading his team by example. I don't want to set expectations too high but his current trajectory is certainly showing cause for optimism.

25 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

All I see is Kesler type player with this kid. He's embracing the role of being captain and keeps putting up these points game after game. Benning continues to find gold in the late rounds

If he could even just develop into Kesler-lite, this would be one hell of a pick.

Archived