The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Man watching his battalion highlights it's hard to believe he wasn't drafted. Thing I like about him is he seems to score a lot capitalizing on the other teams immediate mistake. If you turn it over to him, he's got his game face on and he's going to make sure he buries it. That's a good quality to have. 

Him Stukel and Lockwood are pretty good lottery tickets if you ask me. 3 different intriguing skill sets and high compete levels that give them a legit shot at being the next late bloomer surprise. JB rolled the dice on a future#1 Dman and made his picks count this year. I love it!

On July 7, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Derp... said:

Solid in the scrimmage today. I think he has a good chance of Being an NHL player actually. 24 Even strength or shorthanded goals last year is pretty ridiculous for a second liner

He has a good chance at being the teams 1st line centre and Captain. He sat at my table at the prospects camp. I was really impressed with his character. He is a natural leader and an alpha male.(think Steve Stiffler from American Pie) His hockey IQ is good. He is consistent and doesn't make many mistakes. Compares his game to Mike Fisher from Nashville. Not very flashy but good positioning. He had great battles with Cole Cassels. His team defensively beats most other offensive teams. Next year will be really exciting to follow him. If he dominates as a 1st liner and Captain he should be able to transition easily into the AHL or ECHL given his defensive game. I think for an offensive smaller player like Hunter Shinkuruk it is more difficult. I am really impressed with this pick. I think he will play himself onto a 3rd or 4th line role on an NHL team someday (Centre or LW, similar to Brendan Gaunce). Needs min 2-3 more years of development. Great 7th round pick and great team guy. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2016 at 10:05 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Main site has a good feature on McKenzie for those who don't head over there too regularly:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=888922

First time I have paid any attention to McKenzie, so I'm a little late to this party.

Halfway through the video clip, I started to think that McKenzie is doing in the OHL what Ron Francis was able to do in the NHL...if McKenzie can transition what he's doing in the O into the NHL, I'm thinking JB committed highway robbery getting this kid in the 7th round.

• 3 weeks later...

watched Brett McKenzie's game tonight against Kitchener Rangers
really impressed with his game despite the 2nd period meltdown
he was good on the dot
mainly used as a net presence during a pp
a consistent threat in the offensive zone 
showed some great hustles and wheels. probably the best skater on the team
played the body well in the first period

Archived