The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surviving as a smoker at Rogers arena

Xur

Hey guys and gals. I know most of you don't smoke and good for you, carry on if you don't smoke, this aint your thread.

After many years in the okanagan I just moved to the coast and decided to spoil myself by buying a pair of season tickets. When talking about availability to the service rep, I asked about distance to the smoking patio. He informed that there is no smoking patio at rogers and that I can not go out the main entrance and come back. I know I shouldn't smoke but its its been 25 years and I am not about to quit now. I also can not go 3 hours without having a smoke while drinking and cheering for my Canucks. I could maybe buy an inhaler or something for 1 or 2 games but not for 22-45. I am certainly not spending $16k on a pair of tickets where I am going to sit through half the game then leave and not be allowed back in.

How do you smokers get through a whole game without a smoke? Is there any special trick or is there a guy I can bribe to let me sneak out a back door for 3 mins? Or am I better off flying to calgary?

Seems weird that in kelowna I can smoke on the patio at a bar, but in vancouver I cant go to a hockey game. Any tips or suggestions from smokers would be greatly appreciated.

If you are just replying to say smokers are bad or something, please don't.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Just take quick puffs in the bathroom stalls lol

lol

If I was just there for a game sure, I could pull being a giant d - bag. But if I am buying season tickets I dont think thats how I should behave.

Willpower. 

Will yourself to not smoke. Easier said then done I know. Find something that can distract you from smoking be it candies/gum/etc, whatever floats your boat. You're in tough but you won't find anywhere to smoke for 3 hours, they won't let you out.

Obviously smoke before the game.

If you smoke in stalls, especially during intermissions you'd more than likely get caught with the amount of people. you'd have the bounce with 5-10 minutes before each intermission if you wanted to try to do it and even then you're at your own risk. If you do succeed you'd also be the first to get beer and food.

Just now, Odd. said:

Chew on gum? Wouldn't that stop the craving?

Again im 21 and so I don't smoke 1 pack a day

Nope, I really wish it worked like that. I hate being a smoker, its the biggest regret I have in my entire life. Cigarette companies put chemicals in their smokes that cause one to be extremely addicted. To the point that after 20 minutes you start to feel crappy if you dont get more of those chemicals in you. After an hour or two you can start to feel sick. Mix in alcohol and excitement and you start to feel physical pain. I wish I never had one but now I need to deal with the consequences.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Willpower. 

Will yourself to not smoke. Easier said then done I know. Find something that can distract you from smoking be it candies/gum/etc, whatever floats your boat. You're in tough but you won't find anywhere to smoke for 3 hours, they won't let you out.

Obviously smoke before the game.

If you smoke in stalls, especially during intermissions you'd more than likely get caught with the amount of people. you'd have the bounce with 5-10 minutes before each intermission if you wanted to try to do it and even then you're at your own risk. If you do succeed you'd also be the first to get beer and food.

I think I could do that temporarily for a game or two. There is just no way I can buy season tickets and do this all season long. I would rather go to a pub and be able to smoke then suffer. It seems silly that I cant leave and come back. When I lived on the coast before, they had a smoking patio for us at rogers. But alas no more. I was pretty stoked when the rep told me about all the available seating. I know its because we arent doing well, but in the back of mind I cant help think that when you alienate 30% of the adult population, that might also contribute to trouble selling tickets.

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Nicorette is free in B.C if you speak with a pharmacist.  Try the inhalers, it's a little plastic tampon shaped thing(weird I know).  You load it with nicotine cartridges and you can take as big as a hit as you want and it actually hits like a real cigarette, still not the same but it kind of works to kill the nicotine craving, it will help a little.  I used it for awhile and was cigarette free for 5 days, I really wish I could of kept going, but it really did help kill the craving!  Again, it's free in B.C.

You ever check out laser surgery for quitting?  My grandparents and my dad all did it and it helped them, they no longer smoke.  It didn't work for my mom though unfortunately.

My grandfather smoked 3 and a half packs a day for 30 years and he never touched another cigarette after the laser surgery

The laser thing worked? I thought it was a scam. Thanks for the info I am going to look into that tomorrow. Man it would be really awesome if I could quit!

3 minutes ago, Xur said:

The laser thing worked? I thought it was a scam. Thanks for the info I am going to look into that tomorrow. Man it would be really awesome if I could quit!

I had a few friends who tried the laser thing, did not work and costs quite the penny. Cold turkey is the only way that I have ever seen anyone quit for good. Do not bother with the nicotine type things either, they just keep the addiction going in your body. If anything the price of cigs these days should also help you quit. Do not bother with all these "treatments" any addiction that people have given up comes from them saying F this and be done with it. GL! 

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Stop with the self limiting beliefs. If you want to quit, you will quit. Simple as that (yes I used to smoke, quit cold turkey). 

Im glad you quit bro! I have tried many times and I always fail. I will try many more. I mostly though wanted advice not on quitting smoking but in how to deal with being a smoker if you want to buy season tickets. Looks like I am SOL though and maybe season tickets isnt for me. Yet.

Just now, Xur said:

Im glad you quit bro! I have tried many times and I always fail. I will try many more. I mostly though wanted advice not on quitting smoking but in how to deal with being a smoker if you want to buy season tickets. Looks like I am SOL though and maybe season tickets isnt for me. Yet.

They will be once you quit ;) 

Maybe you should just talk to the Canucks hospitality team and ask to have a smoking patio or smoke room installed somewhere... The season ticket sales are down. Maybe threaten them that you and ten of your buddies won't buy season tickets unless they install one before the start of next season.

Obviously not smoking in 3 hours is such a torture haha. But try to hinge your thought to that long awaited one after the game. That way you could get through it hopefully.

But when I quit I basically went cold turkey. Went from half a pack a day to zero and never looked back - best of luck !

1 minute ago, khay said:

Maybe you should just talk to the Canucks hospitality team and ask to have a smoking patio or smoke room installed somewhere... The season ticket sales are down. Maybe threaten them that you and ten of your buddies won't buy season tickets unless they install one before the start of next season.

lol I don't need to threaten. If there's nowhere for me to smoke and no one can give me a long term solution, aside from quitting, I just wont buy them.

I no longer smoke, but when I did I used to use snus (snuff?) for these sorts of situations. If you can handle it burning the inside of your upper lip, it gets the job done quite nicely. (I've never bought it in North America but it's those things you see behind the counter that look like little hockey pucks, with names such as Copenhagen, etc)

43 minutes ago, Xur said:

It has around a 95% success rate for 30 days. Based on quitting for one year it has a similar success rate to other methods in around the 25 to 28% success rate.

I quit with just a calander and a quit smoking app
Cross off all the days with big red X's 
Put in the app how much money you spend and how much you smoke
and it tells you how much money you save and tar ect that doesn't go into your body,

I've taught this method to a few other people and they're all ex smokers 

Archived