The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]Stamkos Sign-and-Trade

Hi guys,

I read that Yzerman is open to sign-and-trade deals for Stamkos.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/25/yzerman-calls-stamkos-sign-and-trade-an-interesting-idea/

What would JB offer Yzerman for a Stamkos Sign-and-Trade?

Given JB's track record so far, what a scary idea...

1. Hansen, Sbisa, 2017 3rdd round pick?

2. Baertschi, Edler, 2017 5th round pick?

3. Horvat, Hutton, 2017 7th round pick?

4.???

I have no idea what you are trying to say? What track record? When has Jim traded for a player becoming a FA in a week? And all those values are WAY high. The only thing a sign and trade accomplishes at this point is securing 1 extra year on the max term length you can offer Stammer. IF a deal was out into place, and a team was going to trade for stammer for that extra year I'm thinking a 3rd round pick, MAYBE a 2nd. I don't think that extra year has much value at all, since if Stammer was willing to do a sign and trade the gm would already know he could have him for free next week. 

20 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say? What track record? When has Jim traded for a player becoming a FA in a week? And all those values are WAY high. The only thing a sign and trade accomplishes at this point is securing 1 extra year on the max term length you can offer Stammer. IF a deal was out into place, and a team was going to trade for stammer for that extra year I'm thinking a 3rd round pick, MAYBE a 2nd. I don't think that extra year has much value at all, since if Stammer was willing to do a sign and trade the gm would already know he could have him for free next week. 

I don't think Vancouver stands a chance if Stamkos makes it to July 1st. A lot of teams can give him 7years $10million.

Offer him the 8 year term with a sign & trade, a year means a $10~12 million difference to Stamkos. $$talks, just saying.

23 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Benning trades a few 2nd round picks and people think he just gives guys away...sheesh...I'll complain about the Shinkaruk trade with the best of them but not every trade he's made has been bad. Give the guy some credit.

OK. He made 1 good trade. -_-

24 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Some of these trades are even remotely fair (Look at 1 and 2 for example) . What r u smoking? 

JB making a fair trade...

hum... what are the chances of that? -_- (it does happen. slim chance, but it does happen.)

If TB signs him first, we have nothing remotely close to being able to offer in a trade n terms of realistic value.
We have a remote chance in FA and that's about it. Our fanbase needs to not pin too much hope on seeing Stamkos in a Canucks jersey.

6 minutes ago, Byrix said:

I don't think Vancouver stands a chance if Stamkos makes it to July 1st. A lot of teams can give him 7years $10million.

Offer him the 8 year term with a sign & trade, a year means a $10~12 million difference to Stamkos. $$talks, just saying.

Is not only TBay allowed the max term, while all other teams are restricted to seven?

1 minute ago, Byrix said:

I hope Vancouver does not spend 10M on Stamkos.  That could be two 20 goal scorers at 5M each.  I would be much happier with that than Stamkos.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is not only TBay allowed the max term, while all other teams are restricted to seven?

I don't know if I understand sign-and-trades right, but I think only Tampa can sign him to max terms. No?

Just now, Alflives said:

I think so?

So... get Tampa to sign him to those terms and trade him over to us as a salary dump and get something back.

Yzerman would like it more than losing Stamkos to FA for nothing.

Stamkos gets more $$.

JB gets a 1st line centre that can score.

no?

Just now, Byrix said:

So... get Tampa to sign him to those terms and trade him over to us as a salary dump and get something back.

Yzerman would like it more than losing Stamkos to FA for nothing.

Stamkos gets more $$.

JB gets a 1st line centre that can score.

no?

Interesting concept.  

17 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

If TB signs him first, we have nothing remotely close to being able to offer in a trade n terms of realistic value.
We have a remote chance in FA and that's about it. Our fanbase needs to not pin too much hope on seeing Stamkos in a Canucks jersey.

I don't think that's the concept of a sign-and-trade...

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I don't think money is the problem for Stamkos in Tampa.  I think he's just minded to go to free agency and see what's out there. 

I agree. Money is an issue for Yzerman.

However, with that said, this week is the window for the "FAs to be" to field offers and talk to teams,

I'm pretty sure Stamkos' camp has a pretty good idea on what teams are offering already.

14 minutes ago, Byrix said:

I agree. Money is an issue for Yzerman.

However, with that said, this week is the window for the "FAs to be" to field offers and talk to teams,

I'm pretty sure Stamkos' camp has a pretty good idea on what teams are offering already.

Sign and trade isn't much popular (not to say inexistent) in the NHL.  So I highly doubt it.  Tampa is still in the running for his services, so they wouldn't want to give their bargaining advantage (extra year) right now.

And if let say a team is able to reach a verbal agreement with Stamkos, why would they give up asset, when they practically know they will win the bidding war?  Might just wait until July 1st and get him for free.

Just don't think it's really plausible.

Archived