The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]Stamkos Sign-and-Trade

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

And if let say a team is able to reach a verbal agreement with Stamkos, why would they give up asset, when they practically know they will win the bidding war?  Might just wait until July 1st and get him for free.

Again, that's not the concept of a sign-and-trade.

Technically, Tampa is the only team that can give Stamkos the most money.

Realistically, Tampa doesn't want to pay him more the $8.5million annually.

So for every other team going at Stamkos, agreeing to a sign-and-trade gives you the same advantage as Tampa money-wise.

I know it's not really popular in the NHL and rarely does it happen. That's why I brought it up. 

8 minutes ago, Byrix said:

Again, that's not the concept of a sign-and-trade.

Technically, Tampa is the only team that can give Stamkos the most money.

Realistically, Tampa doesn't want to pay him more the $8.5million annually.

So for every other team going at Stamkos, agreeing to a sign-and-trade gives you the same advantage as Tampa money-wise.

I know it's not really popular in the NHL and rarely does it happen. That's why I brought it up. 

Stamkos would never give up his position of strength right now by signing with Tampa (unless he actually wants to play for Tampa). There may be a team out there willing to pay him $12M per year so why would he sign with Tampa for any less? Why would he want to lose control of where he wants to play? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

11 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Stamkos would never give up his position of strength right now by signing with Tampa (unless he actually wants to play for Tampa). There may be a team out there willing to pay him $12M per year so why would he sign with Tampa for any less? Why would he want to lose control of where he wants to play? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Yet again... that's not what a sign-and-trade means... -_-

1 minute ago, Byrix said:

Yet again... that's not what a sign-and-trade means... -_-

Once Tampa signs him they can do whatever they want regardless of any pre-determined arrangements. They can make him play in Tampa or trade him anywhere. If there is a team that Stamkos is prepared to sign with I am sure both he and the team both know the maximum deal is 7 years and are quite satisfied with that.

2 hours ago, Byrix said:

I don't think Vancouver stands a chance if Stamkos makes it to July 1st. A lot of teams can give him 7years $10million.

Offer him the 8 year term with a sign & trade, a year means a $10~12 million difference to Stamkos. $$talks, just saying.

Yeah, it is slim. We are up against the ropes in terms of cost of living, taxs, travel, competitiveness over the next couple years and even cap compared to teams like Buffalo. 1 year isn't going to be the deciding factor if Stamkos isn't already keen on coming to Vancouver and it makes no sense to think other wise imo. Vancouver offers 7 years and a ton of money and Stamkos thinks nah I don't want to play and live there long term. So we offer 8 And he says hell yeah? I get what your saying, money does talk, but the guy will be signing a contract worth the ballpark of 100 million dollars. There are WAY bigger things that come into play with his choice. 

1 hour ago, Byrix said:

JB making a fair trade...

hum... what are the chances of that? -_- (it does happen. slim chance, but it does happen.)

It's almost always happens. Jim always plays fairly and pays the price for the players he values. 

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Once Tampa signs him they can do whatever they want regardless of any pre-determined arrangements. They can make him play in Tampa or trade him anywhere. If there is a team that Stamkos is prepared to sign with I am sure both he and the team both know the maximum deal is 7 years and are quite satisfied with that.

That's not a sign-and-trade.

a sign-and-trade is agreed between both teams and the player being signed. All documents are signed at the same time.

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't understand what Buffalo is doing saying they want him as a centre for 7 years.  They have Eichel Reinhart O'Reilly at centre?  Let them sign Stamkos then trade for Reinhart?

This makes no sense tbh. If he signed in Tampa for 8 years they would just keep him. Also a team could just offer 11 instead of 10 million and its practically the same. Nice for thinking outside of the box but that makes no sense

I just hope that Stamkos doesnt sign right away, and keeps everyone busy on him. Hopefully JB sees the writing on the wall and has moved on. Meanwhile the few teams that are not in the Stamkos running get to have the pick of everyone else. Depending on pre-talks, it could make the competition for the other 99% of the UFA's much better on Friday, with all the other GM's still trying to wow Stamkos over.

Just imagine a UFA's response...

GM calls friday AM, "I will offer you x for x, if I dont get Stammer"....

or

GM calls friday AM, "You are my first call. We want you here. x for x, you with us?"

I like the advantage while the other GM's are tied up with Stamkos jockying.

11 hours ago, BaerToBo said:

This makes no sense tbh. If he signed in Tampa for 8 years they would just keep him. Also a team could just offer 11 instead of 10 million and its practically the same. Nice for thinking outside of the box but that makes no sense

you should read more.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/sign-and-trade-also-makes-sense-for-lightning-steven-stamkos/2283462

https://fansided.com/2016/06/28/nhl-rumors-steven-stamkos-sign-trade-possibility/

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/steven-stamkos-watch-canadiens-in-mix-why-taxes-matter-sign-and-trade-option/

3 hours ago, Byrix said:

I read plenty. This was a bad idea and made no sense for either team. Why wouldnt Tampa just keep Stamkos if he's willing to sign here?? Why would the canucks pay a kings ransom for him when we could have him for free in 3 days??? The one extra year isnt the dealbreaker. Its not like hes 30 and this is his last deal hes 26 and a 7 year deal maked him 33. At the age 33 he will still get a contract. Finally Jim Benning is not a snake and wouldnt go and do this. This makes no sense even though spotsnet is writing about it doesnt mean its true. Theres no reason for either gm to do it

On 6/27/2016 at 9:51 AM, Byrix said:

Hi guys,

I read that Yzerman is open to sign-and-trade deals for Stamkos.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/25/yzerman-calls-stamkos-sign-and-trade-an-interesting-idea/

What would JB offer Yzerman for a Stamkos Sign-and-Trade?

Given JB's track record so far, what a scary idea...

1. Hansen, Sbisa, 2017 3rdd round pick?

2. Baertschi, Edler, 2017 5th round pick?

3. Horvat, Hutton, 2017 7th round pick?

4.???

No no no and noooo way

7 hours ago, Wrecken said:

I just hope that Stamkos doesnt sign right away, and keeps everyone busy on him. Hopefully JB sees the writing on the wall and has moved on. Meanwhile the few teams that are not in the Stamkos running get to have the pick of everyone else. Depending on pre-talks, it could make the competition for the other 99% of the UFA's much better on Friday, with all the other GM's still trying to wow Stamkos over.

Just imagine a UFA's response...

GM calls friday AM, "I will offer you x for x, if I dont get Stammer"....

or

GM calls friday AM, "You are my first call. We want you here. x for x, you with us?"

I like the advantage while the other GM's are tied up with Stamkos jockying.

http://www.tsn.ca/stamkos-to-sign-eight-year-68-million-deal-with-lightning-1.517913

DAMN IT ALL!

Archived