The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

7 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I could be wrong but I would bet they explored trading RNH, Eberle and Yak before ever thinking about trading Hall. Once they determined the market for those other guys wasn't going to land them a decent quality Dman they went the Hall route and ended up doing the deal with New Jersey.

I just find it hard to believe Eberle or RNH couldn't fetch a D-man of Larsson's caliber. Any other offseason and I think they could. Maybe just bad timing to try and get a top 4 D-man.

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I could be wrong but I would bet they explored trading RNH, Eberle and Yak before ever thinking about trading Hall. Once they determined the market for those other guys wasn't going to land them a decent quality Dman they went the Hall route and ended up doing the deal with New Jersey.

I think there has to be some truth to this. I would have figured that Hall would be one of the last guys traded from that team. Aside from Mcdavid, he's really their only prospect to meet expectations. And if he was traded, I'd expect a sizeable return which this clearly wasn't. 

Either gm's recognize the spot Edmonton is in and are trying to exploit it... or the cost of a top 4 defenseman has suddenly gone through the roof.

The Coil had their Pmd in Justin Shultz. They did a fine job in developing him.

I still remember the angst on this board when the Coilers snatched him from under our noses thanks to #99's influence. 

Good luck Larson, you'll need it.

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Did you happened to look at their defense core that year?

It's not hard to out produce the likes of Andy Greene, Bryce Salvador, Mark Fayne, and Anton Volchenkov. 

I haven't checked, but he probably led his team, in offensive start time and PP time, amongst defensemen. So, 18 points in 64 games, is very underwhelming numbers.

I checked for you. he averaged only 10 seconds of PP time per game last season, making his 18 points even more impressive.

http://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.htm?id=3744

2 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

I don't get this at all ... does NJ GM have some blackmail photos of Chiarelli?  

I think a Hall for Shea Weber would be more like a good fair blockbuster trade for Edmonton.  

If Hall isn't worth Subban, he's not worth Weber.

Haven't read through pages, but this does remind me of why I think so many anti Edler fans are out to lunch on his potential trade value.

You cant quantify player for player value when moving Dmen.  Its a supply and demand market, and theres little supply and a LOT of demand.  

Also why I gave the Canucks a thumbs up on the Guud deal.  They made that deal before anyone else was able to out bid them, which imo WOULD have happened.  AND they get another thumbs up for taking the first Dman in the draft.  Juolevi may not be the BPA at that spot, but he sure as hell will be one of the most valuable assets they could have taken.

As far as reaction to this deal itself...  Im not sold on Larsson being a top pairing D.  BUT he'll be a solid and safe guy with size and potential to grow into more and should make a hell of a pairing with Klefbom.  Given that they lucked out with drafting Puljujaarvi and the fact that theyll likely get Lucic, Edmonton should finally and actually be a much better team next season, and another reason that the Canucks will struggle to make the playoffs.

Not gonna lie, I didn't read many replies because I think we can all agree. This trade was ridic. I can think of recent 1for1 swaps that were funny.. like Depres for Lovejoy, or Hartnell for Umberger, but this takes the cake then smashes it into Hall's face.

Whenever a trade like this occurs I try my best to understand the reasoning.

We all know what Hall brings to the table, and that he is probably the second best LW, statistically, next to Benn.

What can't be argued is that he is definitely in the top 5.

So who is Larsson?

He's a big boy with a high ceiling. He plays RS which Edmonton needs. He is a year younger than Hall. All of his NHL experience has been considered a "disappointment", despite him playing on the top pairing in every situation.

NJ was reluctant to re-sign him. But they did, as their second highest paid D.

Even if Larsson reaches his ceiling.. that will make this trade even. Which is the very best Edmonton can hope for and relies on the planets and stairs aligning in a way they haven't in a long time for this team.

I can understand wanting to trade to the East. But I find it impossible to believe that.. um.. EVERY other team didn't offer a better deal. 

Taylor Hall is Subban territory. He is worth a Weber, a Trouba, a Shattenkirk, a Barrie and just about every other available top-end Dman.

Why NJ?

I would say money. Larsson has a nice long-term 4.16 cap hit. Which will take him through to his UFA years.

Signing any of the boys mentioned above, would require at least 2 mill more. In some cases as much as 3-5.

In the next 3 years they need to sign McDavid, Draisaitl, Yakupov and Pulujarvi. 

Yak will certainly be traded but whoever his & RNH's replacement is, will need a contract too.

So this might be a case of money management for the best available young, talented, top 2 Dman who is signed for the forseeable future.

Even with that rationale I can't believe they didn't get at least ONE pick out of this. Not even a 6th? Jebus.

NJ will probably suck for a while to come so I can understand not wanting to throw away 1sts. But Edmonton not negotiating a 2nd?

Man, they are DRUNK WITH POWER. They have young assets everyone wants and they pulled a Boston Draft 2015. "three 1st rounders so let's waste two because we can"

Even if they get Lucic, and if they get an even return for RNH, this still won't make sense.

For what it's worth he's talking about Subban...

So Bergevin asked for Horvat, Tanev and 5. That must have been when Benning hung up. I guess he called back and Benning countered with Tanev and 5. If 5 was Dubois it looks like Benning MAY have pulled the trigger.  Botch also saying Tanev and Dubois > Weber. 

I guess at at the end of the day I'm even happier we got Juolevi as I would rather have him and Tanev than Subban. 

9 hours ago, Blueberries said:

That draft had so much potential, although 3 guys lived up to the hype.

Well Niederreiter's actually salvaged his career after the Islanders destroyed him. He's starting to live up to that hype that made him a top 5 pick. Gudbranson's offensive game could pick up too, but he's still a good top 4. It was a pretty good top 5 all things considered. 

What the hell was Chiarelli thinking in this trade though? Horrible, awful trade for Edmonton. Larrson's an okay top 4 at best. This trade makes it look like Vancouver pulled complete larceny getting Gudbranson. 

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

For what it's worth he's talking about Subban...

So Horvat. Tanev, and the 5th for Subban?

Glad Benning isn't that desperate.

Gotta wonder what the Oilers would have offered us for Edler or Tanev though.

Archived