The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Larsson aint unproven and wasn't a year ago either, simple as that.  It's not about 'smart' - it's about actually looking at the player and not substituting your own fiction for reality.

Ironically, you appear to think you're so much smarter than an NHL franchise that apparently traded a 1st overall for an 'unproven' defenseman.

Lol okay. 

Same GM traded Seguin for Louie Eriksson. 

21 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Lol okay. 

Same GM traded Seguin for Louie Eriksson. 

cool part story - but add Riley Smith and Joe Morrow to make it nonfiction.

Loui scored 71, 73, 71 the three years leading into that deal (very close to what Seguin has been producing in Dallas) -  Riley Smith scored 20 goals and over 50 pts his first year in Boston - Joe Morrow was a 23rd overall pick.

Regardless, that deal is irrelevent to the fact that Larsson is sure as hell not an 'unproven' defenseman - people lost their nuts having no idea how good the guy actually is.

On 2016-06-29 at 1:09 PM, peaches5 said:

This is worse. Hall is already a proven NHLer. Forsberg was just a grade A prospect.

Same guy that called this deal worse than the Erat/Forsberg deal.:wacko:

On April 29, 2017 at 11:27 PM, oldnews said:

Sbisa played arguably the hardest minutes in the NHL at age 23?   Good to know.  Was one of the best young shutdown defensemen in the league?

The Kesler deal just gets better and better.

Define hard minutes, because Sbisa went against the opposition top line at times and played strictly a shutdown role with Lydman.

God god,

Are you all still arguing about this?

It was a unique deal, with a ton of intangible factors that went into it and can't be assessed by either players stat line or flavor-of-the-week status

Fact: Larrson struggled to make the Devils line up, received a ton of criticism and was considered a possible bust until the year before he was traded, for that stretch of time he was a decent to good D man, NOT a game breaker.

Hall was (and is) a game breakers but also carries some very heavy bagage, we know his presence in the Oilers room was not good for either party, and to cure the disease the Oilers had to amputate, they were going to trade Hall before the season started one way or another. Exactly how detrimental to a teams success Halls presence is, and why isn't specifically known (Some pre draft talk of "attitude" is all I cam remember) but the proof is in the pudding, something is wrong there because the guy is an all-world talent.

Hall for Larson on any planet is a joke of a trade, player for player Larsson isn't in Hall's league, but once the other factors are considered the deal makes sense, Hall had to go and the Oiler's wanted a defensemen, this was the best they could do, and they did it.

The surprise here is that no one else was willing to up the bid for Hall, is his rep that bad?

So this is why and how the trade happened, people jumping in after Larsson breaks out while playing with the most talented team in the league, for a few goals after another decent to good (and un-spectacular season) and saying that Hall for Larson on paper made sense really aren't worth arguing with, if they can't grasp the most basic of criteria on which players are ranked then don't waste your time, and the "I knew it all along" stuff is just weak. You didn't.

It was an overpayment that NEEDED to happen and it did, Hall for Larson is a bad trade until you consider the other 21 hours a day the team isn't playing hockey, it was an amputation pure and simple, the fact Larson looks good is just a bonus.

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

Define hard minutes, because Sbisa went against the opposition top line at times and played strictly a shutdown role with Lydman.

I like Luca, but you're not seriously trying to suggest these two are comparables.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I like Luca, but you're not seriously trying to suggest these two are comparables.

I said in a smaller scale, they are comparable.

Let me remind you, Luca was the key piece Benning wanted back in the Kesler deal.

Either way, the Oilers overpaid massively for Larsson, alone, because Shero had all the leverage in the negotiation.

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I said in a smaller scale.

Luca was the key piece Benning wanted back in the Kesler deal.

I don't agree with that claim at all.

Bonino was the principle - the 1st round pick was as vital or more than Sbisa - Sbisa was 1/3 of that deal - and regardless, as much as I like Sbisa, he was a project whereas Larsson was a proven, elite young shutdown D when Edmonton acquired him - he wasn't a project as some people here have revised.  The idea that he didn't dominate the league at age 19 is irrelevent - first of all, he'd had a couple excellent years before Edmonton, and second, he plays arguably one of the most difficult roles in hockey - not many teenagers are going to step straight into the NHL and handle, big, hard shutdown defensive minutes.  The year he had before being dealt to Edmonton was simply outstanding.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't agree with that claim at all.

Bonino was the principle - the 1st round pick was as vital or more than Sbisa - Sbisa was 1/3 of that deal - and regardless, as much as I like Sbisa, he was a project whereas Larsson was a proven, elite young shutdown D when Edmonton acquired him - he wasn't a project as some people here have revised.

Well, Benning did extent Sbisa's contract. While he traded the other assets.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

cool part story - but add Riley Smith and Joe Morrow to make it nonfiction.

Loui scored 71, 73, 71 the three years leading into that deal (very close to what Seguin has been producing in Dallas) -  Riley Smith scored 20 goals and over 50 pts his first year in Boston - Joe Morrow was a 23rd overall pick.

Regardless, that deal is irrelevent to the fact that Larsson is sure as hell not an 'unproven' defenseman - people lost their nuts having no idea how good the guy actually is.

Same guy that called this deal worse than the Erat/Forsberg deal.:wacko:

This trade is worse than the Erat/Forsberg trade. No one would have predicted that Forsberg turn into the dominate force that he did in Nashville and no one would have predicted that Erat would just decide he was going to quit trying after he got traded. If teams thought Forsberg would be as good as he is now they would have drafted him first overall. Larssen is not that good. He is a Journeyman defensemen and was traded for a top 5 Left Winger. Hall is still worth way more than Larssen. Larssen has had nothing to do with The Oilers success. It's been all McDavid and Draisaitl.

You're arguing that the Erikson/Seguin trade was good for Boston says everything that every reader needs to know about your posts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-01 at 7:23 PM, peaches5 said:

This trade is worse than the Erat/Forsberg trade. No one would have predicted that Forsberg turn into the dominate force that he did in Nashville and no one would have predicted that Erat would just decide he was going to quit trying after he got traded. If teams thought Forsberg would be as good as he is now they would have drafted him first overall. Larssen is not that good. He is a Journeyman defensemen and was traded for a top 5 Left Winger. Hall is still worth way more than Larssen. Larssen has had nothing to do with The Oilers success. It's been all McDavid and Draisaitl.

You're arguing that the Erikson/Seguin trade was good for Boston says everything that every reader needs to know about your posts. 

LOL what? Are you forgetting Cam Talbot exists??....

This statement is laughably bad. Larsson has had as much an impact in Edmonton as Ohlund had on the 2001-2004 Canucks......oh, but lemme guess, those teams were solely the product of Naslund and Bertuzzi?

Archived