The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think Montreal has making the playoffs as their ultimate goal.

I think what you're seeing in Montreal is an intent and attempt to contend - while they have one of the world's best goaltenders in his prime - however, perhaps Bergevin just isn't a very good GM.  I didn't mind the Weber/Subban deal considering the state they were in - but since then, subtract Sergachev and Beaulieu, subtract Radulov, add a me-first Drouin (another small winger) - Alzner is a nice replacement for Emelin - but really. looks like a franchise taking multiple steps backwards.  Who knows - they may be good this year - you never know - but I don't really like their recent moves - and it's unclear if Markov is going to return either.

That said however, I doubt their ultimate goal (or any team's) is to squeak into the playoffs.

For Montreal, squeak into the finals maybe and then see what happens.

regards,  G.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 7:22 PM, canucklehead44 said:

The only thing we have gained from sucking is Goldobin and Dahlen at the TDL. 

Uh.. what about Juolevi and Petersson and Virtanen?

The reason we only got Goldobin and Dahlen at the TDL (when sucking) is because of our clueless GM.  We should have absolutely been loading up on prospects/picks for the last 3 years at each deadline/offseason.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think Montreal has making the playoffs as their ultimate goal.

I think what you're seeing in Montreal is an intent and attempt to contend - while they have one of the world's best goaltenders in his prime - however, perhaps Bergevin just isn't a very good GM.  I didn't mind the Weber/Subban deal considering the state they were in - but since then, subtract Sergachev and Beaulieu, subtract Radulov, add a me-first Drouin (another small winger) - Alzner is a nice replacement for Emelin - but really. looks like a franchise taking multiple steps backwards.  Who knows - they may be good this year - you never know - but I don't really like their recent moves - and it's unclear if Markov is going to return either.

That said however, I doubt their ultimate goal (or any team's) is to squeak into the playoffs.

That just shows you how hard it is to add offense or a star player, you gotta draft those guys.  Bergevin got rid of some huge pieces in desperation.  Montreal is stuck in the middle, not good enough to win and will probably just slowly deteriorate.  This is what I've been worried about since Benning signed Miller & Vrbata instead of tanking.  Will he add any stars before he rebuilds the team to be a playoff team.  

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Uh.. what about Juolevi and Petersson and Virtanen?

The reason we only got Goldobin and Dahlen at the TDL (when sucking) is because of our clueless GM.  We should have absolutely been loading up on prospects/picks for the last 3 years at each deadline/offseason.  

Not much difference in talent between Juolevi & Chyrchrun, Virtanen & everybody else, and Peterson to Vilardi. Talent level drops a lot from 1 down to 4 then sort of plateaus. Boeser is probably our top guy right now.

But yes, clueless gm. I was furious when we held on to Hamhuis, Vrbata, and all of the garbage 7

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2017 at 5:12 PM, skolozsy2 said:

I would never disagree with this statement.  But sometimes it seems like making the playoffs or winning hockey games is the last thing some fans are concerned about

This is the entertainment biz.....period,

If some are more entertained by watching the intricacies, intrigue and "what goes down must come up" realities of building a team who might conceivably win a championship, who are you to tell them they should be enjoying it in some other way?

To some, the prospects of "hot shot" roster building and the historic cap on success such tactics install, really isn't that much fun to watch. 

A haphazardly slapped together group of mercenaries trapping their way to round 2 of the SCPO, doesn't have quite the same emotional impact as watching a young group of players grow up, learn how to lose and eventually win together. 

The fact is this whole "YOU MUST ALWAYS WANT TO WIN OR YOU ARE BAAAAAD"

choir of parrots didn't start their "Monkey hear, monkey say" routine until several years back when Brian Burke (With the Flames) went on an anti-tank tirade, the media picked up on it and ever since the sheeple have been "baaahhing" along, like it was ever their opinion, to begin with,

No, you don't have to "ALWAYS WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS" (TM) 

You don't HAVE to do anything, this team is not the Police or Ambulance service, or another type of essential service.'

It exists solely for the entertainment of its customers, you buy your ticket, you're entitled to enjoy or object to the obstacles to enjoyment as you see fit.

In this day and age, the big corporate buzz slogan is" "A great brand tells its customers what they need to buy, not the other way around" And you don't need to look too far to see evidence of that here or anywhere  else your dollars are being solicited, but a few of us hold outs know when a white wall has been painted black, we don't wait for the painting company to tell us which color it is.

So keep your "Always.." and "Musts..." to yourself.....because they weren't even your opinion, to begin with,

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

This is the entertainment biz.....period,

If some are more entertained by watching the intricacies, intrigue and "what goes down must come up" realities of building a team who might conceivably win a championship, who are you to tell them they should be enjoying it in some other way?

To some, the prospects of "hot shot" roster building and the historic cap on success such tactics install, really isn't that much fun to watch. 

A haphazardly slapped together group of mercenaries trapping their way to round 2 of the SCPO, doesn't have quite the same emotional impact as watching a young group of players grow up, learn how to lose and eventually win together. 

The fact is this whole "YOU MUST ALWAYS WANT TO WIN OR YOU ARE BAAAAAD"

choir of parrots didn't start their "Monkey hear, monkey say" routine until several years back when Brian Burke (With the Flames) went on an anti-tank tirade, the media picked up on it and ever since the sheeple have been "baaahhing" along, like it was ever their opinion, to begin with,

No, you don't have to "ALWAYS WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS" (TM) 

You don't HAVE to do anything, this team is not the Police or Ambulance service, or another type of essential service.'

It exists solely for the entertainment of its customers, you buy your ticket, you're entitled to enjoy or object to the obstacles to enjoyment as you see fit.

In this day and age, the big corporate buzz slogan is" "A great brand tells its customers what they need to buy, not the other way around" And you don't need to look too far to see evidence of that here or anywhere  else your dollars are being solicited, but a few of us hold outs know when a white wall has been painted black, we don't wait for the painting company to tell us which color it is.

So keep your "Always.." and "Musts..." to yourself.....because they weren't even your opinion, to begin with,

Are you sure you quoted the right person?  I didn't say "always" or "must" on anything....i didn't even offer my opinion.  I said i didnt disagree when somebody else said making the playoffs is always a good thing.....and i still dont disagree with that statement, making the playoffs is a good thing. 

Edited by skolozsy2

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

Are you sure you quoted the right person?  I didn't say "always" or "must" on anything....i didn't even offer my opinion.  I said i didnt disagree when somebody else said making the playoffs is always a good thing.....and i still dont disagree with that statement, making the playoffs is a good thing. 

I agree that making the playoffs is a good thing. That said, I'd rather the team if it has no chance accept it and focus on development of young players vs plugging holes on a sinking ship with free agents so we finish 26th instead of 29th. 

Free agents on moveable contracts? Cool. DelZotto will be a nice asset to move in two years at the deadline. If Gagner puts up 50 points per year in Van there will be a team needing that shot in the arm on offense and pay a good amount for him too. They cost us NOTHING to acquire, were great value, are on the younger end of the available FA, and are on fairly short terms. I can't understand how anyone can say Vancouver did poorly at free agency. DelZotto will be to our defense what Sutter is to our forward group - an above average player thrust into a massive role, and will likely kinda suck at it, to soak up all of the hard minutes so we can shelter our younger players. 

Also how do we develop our young players if we don't have enough guys who have offensive ability? Gagner and DelZotto help with this. 

Edited by canucklehead44

7 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I think I was responding to the guy who you were responding to, I didn't intend to target you with it. Sorry about that.

would the Canucks rather eek into the playoffs, or finish bad enough to get a top 5 pick in a stronger draft class?

Don't forget that - 2 times in a row now - we've had a top-5 pick but did not select one of the top-5 players (and our #6 overall pick went far worse than that).

And, before you go attacking me and saying how amazing the players we got are (and how Dahlen and Pettersson are best friends) - remember that we could have traded down and still gotten Juolevi/Pettersson, but also had valuable assets to go along with them.  And, if by some miracle, they were taken before they dropped to whevever we ended up - that means we would have had the assets plus multiple higher-ranked players to choose from.  Win/win.  We chose lose/don't-win instead.

So, yeah, just getting the top picks isn't enough - you have to use them smartly.  Something the Canucks have a long and storied history of not doing...

• Upvote 2

On 2017-07-14 at 8:49 AM, CanadianRugby said:

That just shows you how hard it is to add offense or a star player, you gotta draft those guys.  Bergevin got rid of some huge pieces in desperation.  Montreal is stuck in the middle, not good enough to win and will probably just slowly deteriorate.  This is what I've been worried about since Benning signed Miller & Vrbata instead of tanking.  Will he add any stars before he rebuilds the team to be a playoff team.  

No correlation between overpaying for Drouin (and the other consequences and costs of that move), losing their most effective powerforward (replacing him with another small, skilled winger) moving a couple of your best defense prospects - and the Canucks signing a few time/space fillers.   I'm not criticizing Bergevin for signing Markov, Radulov, Alzner - the problem is the type of imbalance he's building - overspending on Drouin while moving guys like Sergachev and Beaulieu and losing guys like Radulov to FA only enhances it.

On 7/15/2017 at 1:02 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

remember that we could have traded down and still gotten Juolevi/Pettersson, but also had valuable assets to go along with them.  And, if by some miracle, they were taken before they dropped to whevever we ended up - that means we would have had the assets plus multiple higher-ranked players to choose from.  Win/win.  We chose lose/don't-win instead.

You know, I had this attitude as well and we've seen from the video that Benning DID try to move down slightly.  But that was my beef as well....not so much that we picked Pettersson (who looks great in highlights) but that if Benning felt Pettersson was the best fit that he didn't manage to trade down due to the likelihood other players would be selected earlier.  But the more I looked into it, the more I realized that there was a decent chance that other GMs probably had Pettersson higher on their lists than the rankings did as well.  I think anyone who has watched the tapes of all the top selected players that Pettersson appears to be a bit more dynamic than some of the others who were expected to go before him.

Then you say that if we lost Pettersson that there were other higher ranked players available.  That's true, but the draft is almost always a crap shoot and there is a reason Benning had Pettersson on his radar.  Clearly he felt that Pettersson was the best player for us at our position so anything other than Pettersson actually WOULD be a loss.  

In the end, I can see the talent that Pettersson has, and I am confident he will put on enough weight to ensure he is not bounced around when on the ice.  Only time will tell how good the players drafted this year end up being, and at this time it still appears that Nolan and Nico were likely the best players of the draft, but I'm actually pretty optimistic about the player we got here.  It is a bit higher risk play than, say, Glass - but I think the risk is reasonable considering the ceiling that Pettersson may have over a player like Glass.  I believe Benning correctly assessed that we didn't need "good" talent, but instead needed ELITE talent, and I believe given who was available that Pettersson gives us the best chance of that.

Of course, this thread is about Eriksson.  So in order for at least part of my post to remain on topic, mark my words - Eriksson will be much improved next season.  I am not sure why he struggled so much but he is a far better player than we saw last season.  

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 3

On 7/15/2017 at 0:02 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Don't forget that - 2 times in a row now - we've had a top-5 pick but did not select one of the top-5 players (and our #6 overall pick went far worse than that).

And, before you go attacking me and saying how amazing the players we got are (and how Dahlen and Pettersson are best friends) - remember that we could have traded down and still gotten Juolevi/Pettersson, but also had valuable assets to go along with them.  And, if by some miracle, they were taken before they dropped to whevever we ended up - that means we would have had the assets plus multiple higher-ranked players to choose from.  Win/win.  We chose lose/don't-win instead.

So, yeah, just getting the top picks isn't enough - you have to use them smartly.  Something the Canucks have a long and storied history of not doing...

It takes 2 to tango. If the other teams don't allow for us to trade down and still get the players we want then no, we can't trade down and get those players we want. You're incorrect at that point and in "wishful thinking mode".

I know you like going on anti-Benning rampages.... but be smart about it....

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

On 15/07/2017 at 2:53 PM, VforVirtanen said:

Louie is going to have a big year this year. He has hit rock bottom and I feel now that the pressure of expectations is off he will be a much better hockey player. That can only be good for us. 

Like his first goal this year will be on the other team's net?! That would be a good start.