The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Bo & Sutter as the other key forward pair?

Or do you run 3 groups deep. Schaller did some PK in Boston, pretty sure Roussel kills as well?  Don't think he's quite as fast, but makes up for it with battle & compete levels...

I would always push for 3 set groups as then if one of them is the penalized player, you are in ok shape.   

4 hours ago, BlastPast said:

I was referring to Eriksson.

This is one of Eriksson's main pros - he can slot in anywhere on the team.  1st-4th lines, offensive role, shutdown, two way, PK, PP, he can fit in pretty much anywhere.  With the bottom six being solidified by UFA pickups it might free him up to spend more time in the O-zone and put up some points.  But, if someone else does that job better, he can slot down the line.  I'm not going to speculate on whether or not he'd be moved - his contract makes it difficult, but not impossible.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I don't think you will see EP40 play LW.  Probably RW or C.

I'd be surprised if both Loui, and in particular Pettersson don't play LW this year. At least part time.  And Pettersson RW on our PP. Both him and Boeser on their off wing unleashing howitzers through traffic.

Barring Dahlen being more advanced than you might expect!  Capable of top line deployment...  Goldobin, Leipsic or Baertschi really advancing after working their ass off this summer? I have a hard time seeing that Pettersson or Eriksson might not be our best option at LW on the top line.

Boeser is too good not to be our first line RW.

Pettersson is too compelling a talent to play on a 3rd line. To play on a defensively tasked line with Sutter either. Just my opinion. He played LW more than part time in Sweden when called upon. And was praised by his coach for how seamlessly he did it.

I see his key role to start as RW on the PP with Boeser left. Both crossing over to unleash howitzers on cross ice passes. But more traditional deployment 5 on 5. I think Agent is keen to see him get some pivot time in sheltered situations. And pick up extra minutes up with Horvat & Boeser. Whether its full time or not, who knows.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'd be surprised if both Loui, and in particular Pettersson don't play LW this year. At least part time.  And Pettersson RW on our PP. Both him and Boeser on their off wing unleashing howitzers through traffic.

Barring Dahlen being more advanced than you might expect!  Capable of top line deployment...  Goldobin, Leipsic or Baertschi really advancing after working their ass off this summer? I have a hard time seeing that Pettersson or Eriksson might not be our best option at LW on the top line.

Boeser is too good not to be our first line RW.

Pettersson is too compelling a talent to play on a 3rd line. To play on a defensively tasked line with Sutter either. Just my opinion. He played LW more than part time in Sweden when called upon. And was praised by his coach for how seamlessly he did it.

I see his key role to start as RW on the PP with Boeser left. Both crossing over to unleash howitzers on cross ice passes. But more traditional deployment 5 on 5. I think Agent is keen to see him get some pivot time in sheltered situations. And pick up extra minutes up with Horvat & Boeser. Whether its full time or not, who knows.  

I agree with you on the PP With them on their off wings.  I was under the impression that he played RW most of last season.  Maybe someone out there that saw him play a lot could comment on the topic as well.  Thanks for the input. :)

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I agree with you on the PP With them on their off wings.  I was under the impression that he played RW most of last season.  Maybe someone out there that saw him play a lot could comment on the topic as well.  Thanks for the input. :)

I watched a lot of his games last year and he did indeed played RW a lot I don’t remember him even slotting in as a LW

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I watched a lot of his games last year and he did indeed played RW a lot I don’t remember him even slotting in as a LW

That was my impression but I didn't know for sure.  Thanks for clarification.  :)

8 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Yes mostly RW.

Not much centre, although that is his natural position. Played mostly C & some RW at Timra with Dahlen the year before.

But I saw an interview, can't find it, quoting his SHL coach regarding how impressed he was when very early one game; he had to bump EP to 1 LW. Because of injury or something. He commented how impressed he was, the strength of his ability to think the game. Something about, with zero reps in practice, he went straight to his defensive positions. And notably understood immediately the breakouts and patterns. Moved into the role seamlessly and started firing at the same pace.

Our biggest hole up front is 1LW. Baer is acceptable at 2LW. He, being Baer, has competition form Leipsic & Goldobin to steal a spot. Roussel and Schaler are logically LW, one on Sutter's line, the other the prototypical 4th line banger. Unless someone steps forward?  Pettersson will be our best option.

I think, because he has the hockey smarts, we'll see EP play 3C, 2RW & 3RW. But also a lot of 1 LW. Eriksson too.

A good second or third line in a different concept might be Roussel to dig out the puck, with EP at centre & Eriksson. Or Jake, Pettersson & Eriksson. Whoa, lots of speed.

17 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

This is one of Eriksson's main pros - he can slot in anywhere on the team.  1st-4th lines, offensive role, shutdown, two way, PK, PP, he can fit in pretty much anywhere.  With the bottom six being solidified by UFA pickups it might free him up to spend more time in the O-zone and put up some points.  But, if someone else does that job better, he can slot down the line.  I'm not going to speculate on whether or not he'd be moved - his contract makes it difficult, but not impossible.

1st line centre here he comes!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well, Eriksson went from .37ppg  to .46ppg, and -9 to 0.  All things equal, if he continues even that level of improvement he should be good for .55ppg (45 points) and hopefully somewhere around a +7 or +8.  Even if he made that level of improvement it would help this team out a lot.  Now, if he is placed with Pettersson (which seems likely to me) then I think he has a real chance of returning at least somewhat to form. I still refuse to believe he's completely washed up. 

I see too many fans in my opinion who are still assuming he was as bad this last year as he was in 2016-17. He had a marked improvement last year and some salty fans refuse to see it for some reason.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I see too many fans in my opinion who are still assuming he was as bad this last year as he was in 2016-17. He had a marked improvement last year and some salty fans refuse to see it for some reason.

Oh, I understand the reason.  We signed him based on the last year of his production in Boston.  Even though I think it is unrealistic to assume he would score quite at that pace, I feel fans are right to assume that we should be getting way more production out of him.  But the part that is silly is that because he isn't living up to that, some people assume he is useless.  He's not useless.  He's solid defensively and is actually a pretty decent player even when he isn't scoring. They also don't seem to consider that he's been battling injuries so of course his production won't be the same. 

But I DO get it.  If he remains healthy he should be scoring upwards of 45-50 points for us and like I said, I refuse to believe that isn't still possible for him.  If he is put on a line with Pettersson and Pettersson scores as much as we all believe he will, I think 50 points minimum is a realistic goal for Loui to get back to - which would be slightly above average 2nd line scoring.  With any luck, it could revitalize his career and that would be excellent for this team as well as be a great mentor for Pettersson's development.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/21/2018 at 6:54 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I would always push for 3 set groups as then if one of them is the penalized player, you are in ok shape.   

LE gives the Canucks that kind of 3 group flexibility with the addition of Beagle and Roussel. I'm hoping he see's a lot more top 6 minutes but if need be he's a very good PK guy as well but hopefully thats offloaded to other players more this season. 

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Oh, I understand the reason.  We signed him based on the last year of his production in Boston.  Even though I think it is unrealistic to assume he would score quite at that pace, I feel fans are right to assume that we should be getting way more production out of him.  But the part that is silly is that because he isn't living up to that, some people assume he is useless.  He's not useless.  He's solid defensively and is actually a pretty decent player even when he isn't scoring. They also don't seem to consider that he's been battling injuries so of course his production won't be the same. 

But I DO get it.  If he remains healthy he should be scoring upwards of 45-50 points for us and like I said, I refuse to believe that isn't still possible for him.  If he is put on a line with Pettersson and Pettersson scores as much as we all believe he will, I think 50 points minimum is a realistic goal for Loui to get back to - which would be slightly above average 2nd line scoring.  With any luck, it could revitalize his career and that would be excellent for this team as well as be a great mentor for Pettersson's development.

50 points would be great and actually be in line with NHL salaries at his level. Being on a line with Petterson with lots of offensive zone time makes a lot of sense to me. I think I'm looking forward to this training camp more than any before because there are so many interesting questions this season like this one. 

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Oh, I understand the reason.  We signed him based on the last year of his production in Boston. 

More like, his career stats.  Signed him at 30, as he only really had those two lesser-production years in Boston after being a consistent scorer throughout his career. 

image.png.45187a4723f1ae87579e38fb6ad5681d.png

Just turned 33, but don't think he's suddenly fallen off permanently like Higgins did around the same age.  This his third year with us should definitely tell us whether he has or not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A Skylit Drive said:

I say he at least hits 25 goals and 30 assists. But if he plays with Petterson all season not just part of it he could be good for 30 goals 40 assists 

That's quite optimistic. I'd place him at about 16 goals and maybe 24 assists for about 40 points. Betting he'll get 50+ points is possible, but very unlikely, I'd say.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2