The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

Marcus Naslund retired with 1 year left on his contract in NY.  He score 25 goals in his last season with NY and was not being sent to the "A" for the final year of his contract.  I remember that Glenn Sather wanted him to stay for the final year but he chose to retire and play a season for MODO with Peter Forsberg.

That’s the public comment.  No Swedish born player (once a star, and with millions) will allow their reputation to be tarnished by even being placed on waivers fir the purpose of assignment to the minors.  They retire before that even happens, and then the public propaganda follows.  The same scenario will play out with Loui.   Matts Sundin retired with 10 million left on the table.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That’s the public comment.  No Swedish born player (once a star, and with millions) will allow their reputation to be tarnished by even being placed on waivers fir the purpose of assignment to the minors.  They retire before that even happens, and then the public propaganda follows.  The same scenario will play out with Loui.   Matts Sundin retired with 10 million left on the table.  

Man, this is a bit pessimistic don't you think?  How does MN go from a 25 goal scorer one year and the next he is supposedly going to the AHL?  I can't see it.  Naslund isn't the best example Normally we see eye to eye but on this one we will have to just agree to disagree.  :)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I can't be 100% but I think you maybe wrong on this.  I do believe other players have done this in the past forcing the team to try and find a trade or he just sits and collects his money.  I don't know the details of the CBA and maybe wrong but maybe someone who knows more could comment.

If they send Loui to Utica he goes or he breaches his contract at which point the team can take action in accordance with contract law. I believe one remedy would be to dissolve it for breach.  I am almost certain Alf is correct on this. 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well, with all the $&!# that already hit the fan Loui got nothing to loose in reputation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Well, with all the $&!# that already hit the fan Loui got nothing to loose in reputation.

OK,  his rep is garbage. 

How's his self-respect/professional pride these days?

How can he continue to show up for work, produce absolutely nothing, then accept payment as if he's an 'elite' athlete? 

58 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

OK,  his rep is garbage. 

How's his self-respect/professional pride these days?

How can he continue to show up for work, produce absolutely nothing, then accept payment as if he's an 'elite' athlete? 

The contract reflects the value over time so Loui can't. Luongo etc had very long contract. Do you think it was Luongos fault?

On 7/25/2019 at 5:59 AM, Alflives said:

Loui can’t refuse to go to Utica.  If he refuses assignment, that’s grounds to terminate his contract.  

He reports, or he’s done.  He will retire before any of that happens.  

On 7/25/2019 at 6:11 AM, dpn1 said:

I can't be 100% but I think you maybe wrong on this.  I do believe other players have done this in the past forcing the team to try and find a trade or he just sits and collects his money.  I don't know the details of the CBA and maybe wrong but maybe someone who knows more could comment.

If a player refuses to report his contract remains in place and typically the team simply suspends them without pay until they do report. This doesn't restrict the team in any way as far as trading the player is concerned. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/14613590/tampa-bay-lightning-suspend-jonathan-drouin-refusing-report-ahl-game

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Baggins said:

If a player refuses to report his contract remains in place and typically the team simply suspends them without pay until they do report. This doesn't restrict the team in any way as far as trading the player is concerned. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/14613590/tampa-bay-lightning-suspend-jonathan-drouin-refusing-report-ahl-game

Drouin hD grade value, so terminating the contract would have lost Tbay a valuable asset.  Loui, has no value.  Terminating his contract is certainly what the Canucks would do.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:11 AM, dpn1 said:

If I recall correctly; the team has the option of suspending the player without pay until such time as he lives up to the terms of the contract. In Loui's case, he no longer has a NMC so if the were to try to send him to Utica he would first have to clear waivers. If that happens and it most likely would; he would have two options IMO; he could decide to retire or hold out in the hopes the team reconsiders. Not to sure how his being under suspension would affect the Cap though.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If I recall correctly; the team has the option of suspending the player without pay until such time as he lives up to the terms of the contract. In Loui's case, he no longer has a NMC so if the were to try to send him to Utica he would first have to clear waivers. If that happens and it most likely would; he would have two options IMO; he could decide to retire or hold out in the hopes the team reconsiders. Not to sure how his being under suspension would affect the Cap though.

Why would the Canucks suspend him, when they could terminate his contract? 

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would the Canucks suspend him, when they could terminate his contract? 

I'm not sure if they can terminate him Alf. I tried looking up any previous suspensions / terminations online but did not find anything that fit his circumstances. Likely the best that they could do would be to demote him to the AHL and if he refuses they suspend him. The NHL Rules and regulations are very vague on reasons for termination. Some sections of interest though are: Article 11.10 .... No renegotiation of existing contract other than by extension; Article13.21.... Unconditional waivers for terminating a SPC; Articles 50.10 (c) and 50.11 (c) players who are suspended and termination amount. The last two might apply but I can't think of one case where they have been used in a manner that applies to Loui.

16 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm not sure if they can terminate him Alf. I tried looking up any previous suspensions / terminations online but did not find anything that fit his circumstances. Likely the best that they could do would be to demote him to the AHL and if he refuses they suspend him. The NHL Rules and regulations are very vague on reasons for termination. Some sections of interest though are: Article 11.10 .... No renegotiation of existing contract other than by extension; Article13.21.... Unconditional waivers for terminating a SPC; Articles 50.10 (c) and 50.11 (c) players who are suspended and termination amount. The last two might apply but I can't think of one case where they have been used in a manner that applies to Loui.

If Loui refuses to perform the duties necessary to fulfil his contract, then the Canucks will start the process of termination.  It will not get to this stage though.  Loui will retire before the Canucks put him on waivers.  No Swedish born (once top) player will play in the AHL.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Loui refuses to perform the duties necessary to fulfil his contract, then the Canucks will start the process of termination.  It will not get to this stage though.  Loui will retire before the Canucks put him on waivers.  No Swedish born (once top) player will play in the AHL.  

Well I hope you are right about him retiring as that would probably be the best case scenario for the Canucks.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd like to believe the bolded.

But no way he just walks away from 9 million dollars.  I would love it. But just won't happen.

Better chance, by far, of JB trading him (hopefully without getting burned too bad).

On 7/24/2019 at 6:59 PM, dpn1 said:

Heard an interview on 1040 today and the discussed a possible trade for LE.

To the Ducks L.E., Goldie

To the Canucks Ryan Kessler (LTIR) and the Canucks retain $2.5mil of LE's salary for 3 years.  What do you think?

How does that make any sense for us?

- Kesler has an almost $1mil higher cap hit

- Eriksson owed $9mil in actual money, Kesler owed $20mil

- Eriksson is still playing, Kesler may never play again

- PLUS we retain on Eriksson?

- PLUS we throw in Goldie?

If anyone is sweetening this deal it's Anaheim.  Don't think we're even close enough to being capped-out to effectively use the LTIR.  Dayal's out to lunch on this one.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The only ones I recall is the player cleared waivers and refused to report to the AHL and the contract was terminated by mutual agreement. The only contracts I recall a team terminating a player contract without mutual consent have involved a major breach of conduct.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

The only ones I recall is the player cleared waivers and refused to report to the AHL and the contract was terminated by mutual agreement. The only contracts I recall a team terminating a player contract without mutual consent have involved a major breach of conduct.

That is pretty much what I came up with as well.

• Cheers 1